JOSH Woods scored 22 points and Gregg McNally grabbed a hat-trick as Leigh brushed aside League One Workington Town 62-12 to reach the quarter-finals of the AB Sundecks 1895 Cup.

Woods touched down after 47 minutes and also kicked nine of Leigh’s 11 tries including a double for Mitch Cox.

Teenage wing and ex-Leigh East lad Brad Holroyd also made a telling contribution on his senior debut scoring a 51st minute try.

Victory, in a tournament sponsored by owner Derek Beaumont’s AB Sundecks company, also marked a second debut for Centurions for their former international packman Gareth Hock.

“We had some positional changes and some lads busted so quite a few of our senior players didn’t play,” said coach John Duffy.

“But the lads who went in stood up and Brad Holroyd on his debut was superb.

“He has trained really hard and been champing at the bit to play.

“So, I am glad he played well because he deserved his chance.”

“All in all it was a good win.

“We want to enjoy the competition,” added Duffy of a tournament now sponsored by Leigh owner Derek Beaumont’s AB Sundecks company.

“It’s a way of getting to Wembley where the club hasn’t been for many moons.

“Hopefully, the draw can be kind to us but that’s done now.

“We have to focus on two massive home league games against Halifax and Bradford.”

Leigh led 24-6 at half-time with Cox touching down after five and 17 minutes, McNally grabbing the first of his treble and Josh Eaves going over just before the break.

Centurions’ only lapse allowed Leigh old boy Dany Tickle to swoop on a kick from another former favourite, Sean Penkywicz.

If any players deserved tries it was centre James Bentley and man of the match Woods.

Bentley busted Town’s defensive line almost every time he ran forward and got his reward four minutes after the interval.

Woods added Leigh’s sixth try three minutes later before Holroyd displayed some twinkling feet to find his way over in the corner.

McNally touched down again at the end of a 14 minute spell that yielded four tries.

Carl Forber finished off Caine Barnes’ break and goaled his own try for Workington’s other try.

However, with Town down to 12 men after the sin binning of on loan Leigh player, Declan O’Donnell, McNally completed his hat-trick after Iain Thornley’s strong run.

Luke Douglas took Leigh’s try tally into double figures before Thornley completed the rout in the final minute.

Match stats:

Leigh: McNally; Holroyd, I Thornley, Bentley, Cox; Gregson, Woods; Douglas, Higham, Brooks, T Adamson, A Thornley, Cator; substitutes: Eaves, Emmitt, Hock, Spencer.

Tries: Cox (3, 17), McNally (8, 57, 69), Eaves (39), Bentley (44), Woods (47), Holroyd (51), Douglas (74), I Thornley (80)

Goals: Woods 9/11

Workington: Fieldhouse; Wellington, Barnes, Lancaster, Bolton; Doran, Forber, Scholey, Penkywicz, Hopkins, Hewitt, Maudling, Tickle; substitutes: Dawson, O’Donnell, Curwen, Olstrum.

Tries: Tickle (34), Forber (63)

Goals: Forber 2/2

Referee: Andrew Sweet

Half-time: 24-6

Attendance: 1660

Sin bin: O’Donnell (Workington), 66 minutes, professional foul.