JOHN Coleman said he had no intention of spoiling Portsmouth's play-off party but wanted to be 'honest' to other clubs chasing a top six spot.

Adam Phillips scored the only goal of the game as Stanley clinched their best finish - 11th place in League One - since returning to the Football League in 2006.

For Pompey, it was final day heartache as the slipped out of the top, Oxford United taking the final play-off place thanks to their 4-0 win over Burton Albion.

Coleman admitted he felt sorry for the Cowley brothers - Pompey boss Danny and his assistant Nicky - but was delighted to secure a best ever finish for his side.

“We didn’t come here to spoil their party but we wanted to be honest for the other clubs," said Coleman.

“I feel sorry for the Cowley brothers as they are as passionate about the game as me and actually remind me of myself when I first came through

“I thought we controlled the first half and deserved a lead through a well-taken goal and possibly even more.

“We are looking forward to next season and things are looking up for the club as this was our highest finish in the league since we came back in.”

Portsmouth needed to match or better the results of Oxford and Charlton going in to the final game of the season but as they both won, Burnley loanee Phillips who broke Pompey hearts who finished in eighth place.

Coleman knows there is plenty to build on next season if he can keep the bulk of the squad together and the performance at Fratton Park, especially of young keeper Toby Savin, will have boosted this, looking ahead to the 2021/22 campaign.

Captain Seamus Conneely and Joe Pritchard missed out through injury as Coleman named the same starting XI which drew 1-1 with Charlton.

Savin was called into action early on but, in the first 15 minutes, it was pretty routine saves for the Reds goalie.

Stanley grew into the game and took the lead on 23 minutes when Harvey Rodgers found Phillips in the area and he rifled the ball into the net. It was his 12th goal of the season and second for the Reds after arriving in January following a spell at Morecambe.

Phillips had another go from a free kick on 28 minutes but Pompey keeper Craig MacGillivray got down well to push it out.

Stanley continued to ask questions, putting some dangerous balls into the box, as Pompey struggled to test Savin.

At the end of the half, Ronan Curtis whizzed the ball across the area and it just needed a touch but thankfully for the Reds no one was there.

In injury time in first half, Sean McConville’s superb free kick found Colby Bishop and his thumping header gave MacGillivray no chance but the flag was up for a narrow off-side.

Pompey started pressing after the break and Curtis’s long range effort was superbly tipped around the post by Savin while the keeper was quick off his line to keep out top scorer John Marquis.

Portsmouth made a triple substitution just before the hour mark and Savin was the next keeper in action, denying one of the changes George Byers.

Tom Scully came on for Stanley on 65 minutes but, while Pompey pressed around the box, the Reds defence was strong, Savin denying Charlie Daniels in the final ten minutes. The 20-year-old keeper, who won the Sky Bet Man of the Match, also kept out a Curtis free kick as time ran out for Portsmouth.

It was a superb final day show from the Reds as they celebrated their highest finish since 1958.