Paris Cowan Hall 23


Billy Kee pen 45+10, pen 66, Paul Smyth 71

STANLEY secured a crucial League One victory at Wycombe to boost their survival chances.

The Reds had lost three on the spin heading into the Adams Park clash to slip to within two points of the bottom four but two Billy Kee penalties and a Paul Smyth strike secured a comeback win which moved Stanley up to 14th ahead of the visit of Rochdale on Saturday.

Jordan Clark came close for Stanley early on when his looping effort came back off the bar before Dan Barlaser was denied by a strong Ryan Allsop save.

Wycombe carried a threat though and, having forced a couple of corners, took the lead midway through the half when Paris Cowan-Hall curled home.

Adebayo Akinfenwa, who has a good scoring record against Stanley, was causing problems for the home side but the Reds were in the game and came close to an equaliser on the half hour when Kee teed up Sean McConville but his effort hit the post.

There was then a lengthy delay while the assistant referee was helped off the pitch with an injury and as the half drew to a close Stanley pushed forward.

They had an appeal for a penalty turned down after Kee went down but they did get a spot kick deep into added time when Smyth was bundled over.

Kee, restored to the side, stepped up and dispatched the penalty into the corner to level with the last kick of the half.

The Reds started the second period brightly with Sam Finley twice shooting off target before Nick Freeman was denied by Maxted at the other end.

John Coleman’s side continued to create the clearer chances with Kee heading wide before Clark fired across the face of goal.

Stanley got the second goal their play deserved on 65 minutes and it came via another penalty after Smyth was pulled back in the box. Kee converted to put the Reds in front and they extended their advantage just six minutes later when Smyth latched on to Dan Barlaser’s long ball and finished well.

Wycombe looked for a way back into the contest and had the better of the final 15 minutes but Stanley continued to carry a threat with McConville, Janoi Donacien and Smyth having chances.

In the end the Reds held out relatively comfortably for a vital victory.

Stanley: Maxted, Johnson, Hughes, Donacien, Rodgers; McConville, Finley, Barlaser, Clark; Smyth, Kee. Subs not used: Richards-Everton, Nolan, Brown, Simmonds, Sousa, Armstrong, Savin