A 44-YEAR-OLD man died after a having a medical episode in a park in Bolton this morning, police said.

Officers were called by the ambulance service to Tonge Park bowling club just before 11am to a report of a man having a medical episode there.

The man died at the scene.

A heavy police presence has been in the area throughout the day and a cordon was set up.

This Is Lancashire: SCENE: Police at Tonge Park bowling club on Tuesday

A white tarpaulin was draped over the railing surrounding the bowling green.

The body is believed to have been found in bushes surrounding the bowling green.

A police spokesman said the force was continuing to establish the circumstances surrounding the man’s death but there are not believed to be any suspicious circumstances.

Police have confirmed that the man was aged 44 and that his family are aware of his death.

Paramedics say a member of the public reported the incident.

The scene at Tonge Park bowling club

The scene at Tonge Park bowling club

A Greater Manchester Police spokesman said: "Police were called by the North West Ambulance Service shortly before 11am on Tuesday to a report of a man having a medical episode on Ainsworth Lane, Bolton.

"The man was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.

"Officers are in attendance and enquiries continue to establish the circumstances surrounding the death.

Park at Tonge Park bowling club

Park at Tonge Park bowling club

Tonge with the Haulgh councillor Martin Donaghy expressed his sympathy to the man’s loved ones.

Cllr Donaghy said: "I am very sorry to here about the individual who has died.

"My thoughts are with his friends and family at this sad time.

"This incident just shows that life is very resilient but also very fragile."

Mike Chapman and his colleagues have been working on a house opposite the park from 9.30am. They watched as several police vehicles and ambulance descended on the area at 11am.

They were then told a man had died. “It’s a real shame, ” he said.

A nearby resident said: “It’s so sad, tragic really. Such a shame.”