A MARRIED teenager who left two men seriously injured by hacking them with a machete in what was described by a judge as “classic gang violence” has been sent to custody for 11 years.

Preston Crown Court heard how tensions were already running high between 19-year-old Nasar Ahmed and his victim Hamza Yasser when they had a confrontation on the forecourt of a petrol station in Manchester Road, Nelson, at around 10.30pm on July 15.

That was over an incident last April in which Mr Yasser claimed Ahmed had written off his car.

Prosecuting, Francis McEntee said during the confrontation at the petrol station Ahmed pulled a baseball bat from his boot, which prompted Mr Yasser to call for “back up” from his friends Junaid Arif and Samir Choudhary.

Before they arrived Mr Ahmed’s mother happened to be driving past, saw what was going on and went to intervene.

Mr McEntee said she became so upset she fainted and had to be taken to hospital.

Mr Yasser, Mr Arif and Mr Choudhry then drove to the Brunswick Business Park in Nelson to “chill out” and listen to music, the court heard.

Mr McEntee said they were there for around two hours when two cars came speeding onto the car park and blocked in their car.

The court was told a shout of “that’s them” was heard, before around seven men – some armed – began attacking Mr Choudhry’s vehicle.

Mr Arif, who was in the front passenger seat, said his window was smashed and Ahmed began “hacking at him” with a machete. He put his hands out and his legs up to protect himself but to no avail.

Mr Yasser, a rear passenger, said he remembered someone shouting: “He’s in the back.”

He said he remembers not being able to get out of the car and feeling pain from repeated blows with bats.

He was then dragged out of the car, where the attack continued, and as Mr Yasser lay on the floor defenceless, Mr Choudhary said he saw Ahmed slash him in the back with a machete.

Mr McEntee said Mr Yasser felt immediate pain and went to a nearby taxi office to ask them to ring an ambulance.

He was told to wait outside for it to arrive, and as he did Ahmed deliberately ran into him with his black Volkswagen Golf.

Mr McEntee said Ahmed fled but witnesses reported his vehicle, with its personalised number plate, to the police. It was seen being driven on the A56 towards Haslingden by an off-duty police officer.

Ahmed was later arrested in a taxi in possession of a black bin liner, containing clothes and blood-smeared gloves.

On one of the gloves police found traces of DNA belonging to Ahmed and Mr Arif, and there was further blood evidence found in the defendant’s car.

Mr Arif’s ring finger on his left hand was severed and he had cuts on his left little finger, left elbow, and to the front of his legs.

Some of the cuts penetrated tendons, while the laceration to his knee had gone through the patella tendon. He was in surgery for 11 hours and in hospital for a total of two weeks.

Mr Yasser suffered a 15cm cut to the back as well as a laceration to the back of the head.

Ahmed, of Reedyford Road, Nelson, was charged with attempted murder but later pleaded guilty to two counts of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Mr McEntee said they had not pursued the attempted murder charge because had Ahmed had murderous intentions there was nothing to stop him going through with it.

Defending, Brendan O’Leary said his client had no previous convictions who acted out of character after seeing what had happened to his mother, for whom he was a primary carer.

He said while his client has been on remand he had completed courses in English, IT and enrolled on the victim awareness course with the hope of mentoring other young men on the dangers of using knives.

Mr O’Leary added: “The references and letters provided to the court speak of him as being respected in the community, hard-working, diligent and caring. These are people who know what he has done but are still willing to attest to his character. They are shocked by this serious offending and say it is out of character for him.”

The Recorder of Preston, Judge Mark Brown, said: “You were intending to teach Mr Yasser a lesson, perhaps over your mother, and you committed a brutal and sustained assault on two individuals."

Ahmed's mother collapsed to the floor, distraught, when Judge Brown passed sentence.