A TEENAGER repeatedly rammed a police car after he was caught driving a car without a licence.

Imre Bolvari has never passed a driving test but led police on a high speed chase through residential streets in Bolton after he was seen behind the wheel of a VW Polo on June 5 last year.

And when he became trapped in a dead end at Fourth Avenue, Heaton, he repeatedly drove into the police car which was blocking his way.

At Bolton Crown Court Judge Graeme Smith was told that he had caused damage estimated at £3,000 to the front of the police vehicle.

John Richards, prosecuting, told the court how police tried to stop the car after spotting it at 1.30pm on Deane Road and checks revealed it had no insurance.

But Bolvari took off, driving into a filter lane and into the path of an oncoming van.

The pursuit continued as Bolvari, then aged 18, refused to stop, speeding at up to 35mph in narrow streets with 20mph limits.

In Fourth Avenue he lost control and hit a parked Vauxhall Tigra before heading into the street's cul-de-sac.

But Bolvari was determined to escape as the police car followed him.

"The defendant placed the car into reverse and collided with the officer's car a total of three times,"said Mr Richards.

"The sergeant stated that he heard the vehicle revving its engine before reversing," said Mr Richards, who added Bolvari then abandoned it and tried to run off.

Bolvari, now aged 19, was caught but Mr Richards said he continued to show "aggressive resistance" as the officer tried to handcuff him.

In court Bolvari, of Valpy Avenue, Bolton, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, driving without a licence or insurance and obstruction police.

Nicholas Ross, defending, said the warehouse worker, originally from Hungary, had been keen to start driving but failed to wait until he had passed a test.

"He regrets the whole incident. This appears to have been an incident borne out of immaturity and impatience to drive," said Mr Ross.

"Mercifully there were no pedestrians in the vicinity."

Judge Smith sentenced the teenager to four months in prison, suspended for 18 months and ordered him to undertake 80 hours of unpaid work plus 20 days of rehabilitation activities.

He was also banned from applying for a driving licence for two years, after which he will have to take an extended driving test.