A REVELLER had a bottle smashed over his head and was kicked and punched while on the ground in a shocking five-on-one nightclub attack.

Three men have been jailed for their roles in the incident which saw victim Ross Jordan having to have head wounds glued as a result of the early-morning disorder inside and outside Mode in Burnley.

Prosecuting, Paul Cummings said Mr Jordan was with a group of friends inside the Hammerton Street venue when he was set upon by five men, who included alcohol-fuelled Mohammad Ikram and Zakir Khan.

CCTV footage played at Burnley Crown Court showed 25-year-old Khan, 33-year-old Ikram walking towards Mr Jordan at around 4.30am on May 7, 2018.

Mr Cummings said it was unclear who threw the first punch but Mr Jordan disappeared from view of the camera as he fell to the ground, where he was then set upon by the defendants and three other men who landed kicks and punches to his head and body.

Khan, who was wearing a mask over his head, picked up a bottle and hit Mr Jordan with it while he was grounded. He then threw more bottles at Mr Jordan while the victim was still being hit by Khan’s fellow attackers.

As security staff tried to help Mr Jordan to his feet Khan picked up another bottle and smashed it over his head.

Mr Cummings said that when Mr Jordan was back on his feet, surrounded by security staff who are trying to protect him, Ikram stepped forwards and threw three punches at the victim.

The court heard that Mr Jordan was led out the front of the club, while Khan and Ikram and the other unidentified men involved in the attack were ejected via the back.

Khan came to the front of the building after spotting Mr Jordan, whose shirt had been ripped off during the attack, and beckoned Ikram and co-defendant David Dale Leach.

Leach then ran around a taxi in a bid to get to Mr Jordan but was stopped by security staff. Leach threw another object towards a dazed Mr Jordan before security staff again held him off.

Mr Jordan was collected by his dad, who upon realising the extent of his son’s injuries drove him to Burnley General Hospital. He was treated for cuts to the head, scalp and ears. He was also given a tetanus jab and transferred to Royal Blackburn Hospital for X-rays and scans.

Khan, who has six convictions for eight offences, and Ikram, who has nine convictions for 21 offences, pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm. Leach, who has 18 convictions for 34 offences, pleaded guilty to affray.

Defending Khan, Allan Armbrister said his client, who worked for a property management firm, said at the time of the incident his client’s relationship with his long-term partner had run into difficulties because of a personal loss they had suffered and he was consuming alcohol and cocaine to a state of oblivion so as not to deal with his emotions. He said his client had little memory of the incident, deeply regretted his actions and would be prepared to pay his victim compensation.

Defending Ikram, Philip Holden said his client had made significant changes in his life since 2018 and had committed no further offence. He said Ikram was now working for his father, who is a respected community leader, as a plumber and back living with his parents.

Defending Leach, Ellen Shaw said he to go to custody because he was living a chaotic lifestyle dominated by his drug misuse.

Judge David Potter jailed Khan, of Board Street, Burnley, for 16 months, Ikram, of Thursby Road, Burnley, for 12 months, and Leach, of Cleaver Street, Burnley, for six months.