FIREFIGHTERS are urging homeowners to never leave their cooking unattended to minimise the risk of fire.

The call from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) comes following a number of incidents caused by ovens and pots that have been left.

Paul Etches, head of prevention at GMFRS, said: “It only takes seconds for a fire to start so the importance of a working smoke alarm cannot be overstated.

“Never leave your cooking unattended as the consequences may be severe.

“Make sure you test your smoke alarm. It may save your life.”

GMFRS have released a list of tips to take into account if your pan catches fire when cooking:

n Don’t panic and don’t take risks

n Don’t move the pan

n If it’s safe to do so, turn off the heat – but never lean over the pan to do so

n Leave the kitchen, close the door behind you, get everyone out and don’t go back inside

n Call 999

For more information on cooking safely in your home, visit: