THE family of a woman who jumped to her death in Blackburn said she had been let down again after a coroner ruled no-one else was to blame for her death.

An inquest heard how mum-of-four Tina Rayson, 41, attempted to take her life seven times in the six months before she jumped off a railway bridge in Aqueduct Road in September.


Her family said she told them on several occasions that she wanted to be ‘taken away for a few months’ in order to receive treatment.

But Dr Arif Rahman, who works with Inspire in Blackburn, told the hearing  that was unlikely to happen as she was not dependent on alcohol and had a normal liver function.

When asked by Blackburn Coroner Michael Singleton why Miss Rayson hadn’t been sectioned, Gillian Cooper, a mental health nurse at Royal Blackburn Hospital, said she had not presented as a suicide risk.

Speaking after the hearing on behalf of the family, Debbie Craig said: “I think she was failed by the mental health services and it looks like they have got away with it again.

“She begged for help and she wanted to go away and get the help she needed, but they failed in my opinion. Now she has been let down again.”

The inquest heard how at 9.30pm on the night Miss Rayson jumped she had texted close friend Debbie Craig saying ‘Please help me Debbie. I’m going to jump off a bridge.”

Mrs Craig was out shopping in Asda when she received the text but told her daughter to go around to Miss Rayson’s, take her to their house and keep her there until she got home.

But Miss Rayson left the house around 15 minutes before Mrs Craig got back, saying she had to tend to her cats.

Mrs Craig said she went to Miss Rayson’s house and banged on the door but nobody answered. She then rang her friend several times and sent a text, but never got a reply.

PC Carl Dixon was the first officer on the scene and said Miss Rayson was barely concious.

She was taken to Royal Hospital where she received four operations for various internal injuries but died with her family by her bedside on September 18.

Miss Rayson’s daughter, Ebony, told the inquest: “My mum had been depressed for five to six months prior to her death. She suffered with mental health issued but she didn’t get the help she needed.

“The night before she jumped from the bridge she rang me. She was crying and saying she couldn’t cope and she wanted help. She said she wanted sectioning. But she never got that help”

The inquest, held in Blackburn Library, was told she was admitted to Royal Blackburn Hospital four times last year after making unsuccessful attempts to take her own life after taking an overdose of pills The inquest also heard that Miss Rayson, who lived alone in Exeter Street in Blackburn, had attempted to kill herself on three other occasions by either hanging or cutting - although psychiatrist Catchline Warton said they were cries for help.

Following the first suicide attempt Miss Rayson was referred to the mental health team at Royal Blackburn Hospital and after assessment was discharged under the care of the Blackburn mental crisis team.

Following a home visit she was referred to the community alcohol team for an alcohol dependency, counselling at the Wish Centre and the Lancashire Women’s Centre for support with the domestic violence.

Multi-discipline meetings, attended by the various mental health agencies overseeing her care, were set up to share information and co-ordinate a treatment plan.

The inquest heard she had wanted to work with the professionals to get her life back on track.

Ruling a verdict of suicide, Mr Singleton said the cause of death was multiple organ failure due to a massive haemorrhage caused by a pelvic fracture under psychiatric illness.