Boy burned by overhead power cable

This Is Lancashire: A teenager has been burned by overhead cables, the Ambulance Service said A teenager has been burned by overhead cables, the Ambulance Service said

A teenage boy has been badly burned by a live overhead power cable while playing in a railway yard.

The boy, 17, was with a group of friends inside the depot in Hunters Lane in Rugby, Warwickshire, at about 9.55pm yesterday when the accident happened, West Midlands Ambulance Service (WMAS) said.

It is understood the youngster had been on top of a freight train container carriage and made contact with the power line with his neck as he went to turn around, according to the initial emergency call.

Medics said the injuries to the boy, who did not have permission to be in the yard, highlighted the severe dangers of playing on the railway.

A WMAS spokesman said: "The teenage boy was reportedly playing with friends when he came into contact with an overhead cable.

"He had serious burns to his neck and slighter burns to his shoulders and feet.

"His burns were treated and dressed at the scene."

The injured boy was taken to the University Hospital Coventry in a stable condition.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree