More victims expected at Kenya mall
More victims from the Kenyan shopping mall atrocity are expected to be recovered after the country's president declared the four-day siege at an end.
Officials said the death toll could rise by at least 60 as more bodies are found in the rubble of the Nairobi mall, where three floors have collapsed.
The attack, which began on Saturday when al-Shabab extremists stormed the Westgate shopping centre, has already claimed more than 60 civilian lives, with at least six Britons dead. The siege finally came to an end on Tuesday with five militants killed and 11 in custody, Kenyan president Uhuru Kenyatta announced in a televised address. The country is starting three days of national mourning.
The Foreign Office confirmed that a Briton had been detained in the Kenyan capital but could not say if the detention was being linked to the mall shootings, or give details of when and where the person was held. It has been reported that the Briton was a 35-year-old man, believed to be of Somalian origin, who was detained at Jomo Kenyatta airport on Monday afternoon. The Mail Online said he attracted the attention of passport officers as he prepared to board a Turkish Airlines flight because he was acting suspiciously, was wearing dark glasses and had bruising on his face.
Meanwhile Somali terrorist group al-Shabab has said no women were involved in the attack. The denial follows speculation that British terror suspect Samantha Lewthwaite, who was married to July 7 bomber Jermaine Lindsay, was involved in the attack.
Kenya's foreign minister Amina Mohamed had said that a British woman who had been allegedly involved in terrorism "many times before" was one of the militants who laid siege to the shopping centre. The woman was said to have acted alongside "two or three" Americans, but al-Shabab, which has links to al Qaida, said only men were involved.
In a statement to the Associated Press news agency, al-Shabab said: "We have an adequate number of young men who are fully committed and ready to sacrifice their lives for the sake of Allah and for the sake of their religion, so there is no need for us to employ our sisters in the battlefield and thereby expose them to unnecessary risk."
Mr Kenyatta said forensic teams were working to establish the identities of the terrorists and confirmed intelligence reports suggested that a British woman and a number of American nationals were involved. He said in his address: "As I had promised earlier, we have ashamed and defeated our attackers. That part of our task has been completed by our multi-agency security team. I promise that we shall have full accountability for the mindless destruction, deaths, pain, loss and suffering we have all undergone as a national family. These cowards will meet justice, as will their accomplices, wherever they are."
But while he said "the worst" of the crisis was over, it was unclear whether Kenyan security forces had accounted for all the militants.
Mr Kenyatta said at least 61 civilians were known to have died, along with six members of security forces. Approximately 175 people have been injured, with 62 remaining in hospital. It has been confirmed that six Britons were killed, but Defence Secretary Philip Hammond warned the death toll could be higher. "It is possible we will discover further British nationals once the building is fully secure," he said.