British filmmaker Gareth Edwards has been chosen to make a new Star Wars film.
The director - whose Godzilla reboot has taken the box office by storm - will be at the helm of one of the planned standalone films set in the Star Wars universe.
He said: "Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life - join the Rebel Alliance!
"I could not be more excited and honoured to go on this mission with Lucasfilm."
Movie bosses announced last year that they would be making a set of spin-off films as well as the new trilogy starting with JJ Abrams' eagerly anticipated Episode VII, which is already shooting in Abu Dhabi and is due to be unveiled in 2015.
Plot details for the standalone films haven't been announced but speculation is rife that they will focus on characters such as Yoda, Han Solo and Boba Fett.
Gareth's film will be the first of the standalone movies and is due to be released on December 16, 2016.
The filmmaker is also set to direct sequels to Godzilla.
Legendary Entertainment's chairman and CEO Thomas Tull said in a statement: "Gareth's filmmaking talent makes him one of his generation's most creative and visionary directors. The plan has always been for Gareth to direct a different film before we started on another Godzilla, but who knew it would a Star Wars instalment?
"We have a great plan in store for Godzilla fans and I am looking forward to seeing Gareth's imprint on the Star Wars universe."