Ronaldo ankle surgery blow for Manchester United
9:43pm Monday 7th July 2008 in Sport
Cristiano Ronaldo will miss the start of the new season after undergoing surgery on his right ankle.
Manchester United said the operation in Holland had been a success but it will be at least a month before Professor Niek van Dijk - the Dutch ankle specialist who operated on the 23-year-old in Amsterdam - can assess when he will be ready to return to action.
United said in a statement afterwards: "Cristiano Ronaldo underwent surgery to his right ankle and the initial indications are that the procedure was successful."
The statement continued: "The operation was performed by Professor C. Niek van Dijk at The Academic Medical Centre in Amsterdam.
"Cristiano will begin his convalescence under the direction of club medical staff and an estimation of his return to full fitness will be possible following review by the specialist in one month."