Saudi striker rejects City move

First published in Sport

Asian Player of the Year Yasser Al Qahtani claims he has turned down an offer to join Manchester City.

The Saudi Arabia striker, 25, had been on trial with Sven-Goran Eriksson's side but said in an official press conference on Saturday that he has decided to stay in his home country with Al Hilal.

"I had a successful trial with Manchester City and I was given great praise from everyone there including coach Sven-Goran Eriksson," said Al Qahtani.

"We had reached an agreement but there were some issues in the contract that were not resolved."

He added: "However, the reason I rejected the offer was not due to financial reasons but because I feel Al Hilal need me too much this season."

Al Qahtani stressed he still has ambitions to play in Europe in the near future.

He added: "I'm still looking to play in Europe and the situation could be different at the start of next season.

"I still have some offers and I will discuss them with the administration and I'm sure that I can succeed in Europe."

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree