Kevin Gallacher column: Conway has been a Rovers revelation

This Is Lancashire: Craig Conway celebrates another Rovers goal with Jordan Rhodes Craig Conway celebrates another Rovers goal with Jordan Rhodes

CRAIG Conway has been a great signing for Blackburn Rovers.

He’s come in and got a remarkable amount of assists.

Sometimes his quality has gone up and down but he has been so consistent with the amount of goals he has created.

He’s also managed to score a few too so he’s really fitted in like a glove.

When he gets the ball, the centre-forwards, Rudy Gestede and Jordan Rhodes, know now he’s going to have two or three touches before throwing it into the box.

They then have to make their runs to get on the end of it and big Rudy has certainly been the one doing that at the end of the season.

He is the one player, more than any other, who has benefited from Craig’s crosses – particularly from set-plays.

With set-plays the movement and timing of the attacking players in the box has to be good as otherwise the defenders will simply run on to the ball and clear it away.

But it is crucial the delivery is good – and time and again Craig has proved he has that. He’s not quite David Beckham-esque in terms of his consistency – as you would have seen at the weekend some of his corners were not great.

But he has still set-up an amazing amount of goals from his set-places and from normal movement of play too.

With Ben Marshall coming back to full fitness, Gary Bowyer will have some options out wide next season.

He will also have been pleased by the amount of goals that Jordan and Rudy have scored.

But the question I have, is will they keep scoring goals together or are they going to score goals separately?

I’m sure their partnership will get better and they will have more balance.

As a result, I’m not too sure Rovers need to strengthen in attacking areas.

But they certainly have to strengthen at right back.

Todd Kane will go back to his parent club Chelsea and Adam Henley has lost his way again.

Michael Keane could come back but for me he’s a central defender who is really just doing a job at right back.

And if Gary goes with an attacking system with a holding midfielder, which he has been doing, then you definitely an out-and-out right back. We also need cover at centre back.

But after that you are looking at the amount of players Blackburn can get off their books – players who are not in Gary’s plans.

And that’s going to be a big challenge.

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:24pm Wed 7 May 14

Incest Each Sunday says...

Had he been here a few months longer he would've pipped Cairney to the 'Player of the a Year' award.
Had he been here a few months longer he would've pipped Cairney to the 'Player of the a Year' award. Incest Each Sunday
  • Score: 8

8:12pm Wed 7 May 14

Not_A_Loon_From_Pune says...

I think there are two areas where we need to improve the squad if we are going to be promotion contenders next season. Firstly and most obviously, the defence needs strengthening. As the article states, we badly need a competent right back. However if Keane doesn't return we also need some decent cover for centre back. There is also a lack of quality cover up front. Varney is nowhere near the standard required for promotion contenders. Assuming that Goodwillie and Best are either loaned or sold, there needs to be another option up front. If those two areas are sorted and everybody stays fit, we should have a good chance of promotion next season.
I think there are two areas where we need to improve the squad if we are going to be promotion contenders next season. Firstly and most obviously, the defence needs strengthening. As the article states, we badly need a competent right back. However if Keane doesn't return we also need some decent cover for centre back. There is also a lack of quality cover up front. Varney is nowhere near the standard required for promotion contenders. Assuming that Goodwillie and Best are either loaned or sold, there needs to be another option up front. If those two areas are sorted and everybody stays fit, we should have a good chance of promotion next season. Not_A_Loon_From_Pune
  • Score: 6

11:47am Thu 8 May 14

jimluftas says...

Quality gone up and down?! Bollokcs. He's been super consistent since he arrived. Can LT not find anyone better than Gallacher to do a column? Not once did he slag kean off, too afraid to upset anyone at the beeb.
Quality gone up and down?! Bollokcs. He's been super consistent since he arrived. Can LT not find anyone better than Gallacher to do a column? Not once did he slag kean off, too afraid to upset anyone at the beeb. jimluftas
  • Score: 0

1:37pm Thu 8 May 14

noddy57 says...

Conway has been a very good signing and he will be vital for the coming season if we are to realise our potential, l am full of confidence for next season and l expect the squad we have if we can keep it together to make a serious threat in the promotion race.Its the right time for all the stay away fans to return and get behind the team and forget their differences with the current owners and get us back where we belong,,we have to make next season count because it is vital for everyone when you consider how much money the club is losing we cannot keep going at this rate we must get it right next year without doubt,let,s start next season and hit the ground running ,,
Conway has been a very good signing and he will be vital for the coming season if we are to realise our potential, l am full of confidence for next season and l expect the squad we have if we can keep it together to make a serious threat in the promotion race.Its the right time for all the stay away fans to return and get behind the team and forget their differences with the current owners and get us back where we belong,,we have to make next season count because it is vital for everyone when you consider how much money the club is losing we cannot keep going at this rate we must get it right next year without doubt,let,s start next season and hit the ground running ,, noddy57
  • Score: 7

2:11pm Thu 8 May 14

Super_Clarets says...

noddy57 wrote:
Conway has been a very good signing and he will be vital for the coming season if we are to realise our potential, l am full of confidence for next season and l expect the squad we have if we can keep it together to make a serious threat in the promotion race.Its the right time for all the stay away fans to return and get behind the team and forget their differences with the current owners and get us back where we belong,,we have to make next season count because it is vital for everyone when you consider how much money the club is losing we cannot keep going at this rate we must get it right next year without doubt,let,s start next season and hit the ground running ,,
"...and get us back where we belong..."

But you are back where you belong, in the second tier of English football as a penniless tin-pot also-ran, just like you were before Jack Walker wasted his life savings on you. Talk about arrogance.
[quote][p][bold]noddy57[/bold] wrote: Conway has been a very good signing and he will be vital for the coming season if we are to realise our potential, l am full of confidence for next season and l expect the squad we have if we can keep it together to make a serious threat in the promotion race.Its the right time for all the stay away fans to return and get behind the team and forget their differences with the current owners and get us back where we belong,,we have to make next season count because it is vital for everyone when you consider how much money the club is losing we cannot keep going at this rate we must get it right next year without doubt,let,s start next season and hit the ground running ,,[/p][/quote]"...and get us back where we belong..." But you are back where you belong, in the second tier of English football as a penniless tin-pot also-ran, just like you were before Jack Walker wasted his life savings on you. Talk about arrogance. Super_Clarets
  • Score: -5

4:49pm Thu 8 May 14

jimluftas says...

Super_Clarets wrote:
noddy57 wrote:
Conway has been a very good signing and he will be vital for the coming season if we are to realise our potential, l am full of confidence for next season and l expect the squad we have if we can keep it together to make a serious threat in the promotion race.Its the right time for all the stay away fans to return and get behind the team and forget their differences with the current owners and get us back where we belong,,we have to make next season count because it is vital for everyone when you consider how much money the club is losing we cannot keep going at this rate we must get it right next year without doubt,let,s start next season and hit the ground running ,,
"...and get us back where we belong..."

But you are back where you belong, in the second tier of English football as a penniless tin-pot also-ran, just like you were before Jack Walker wasted his life savings on you. Talk about arrogance.
Typical dingle, talking ill if the dead. Did nobody ever teach you any respect you inbred piece of sh1t? What is wrong with you? It's every story you feel the need to post some ridiculous nonsense. Have you nobody that loves you? It's really sad.
[quote][p][bold]Super_Clarets[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]noddy57[/bold] wrote: Conway has been a very good signing and he will be vital for the coming season if we are to realise our potential, l am full of confidence for next season and l expect the squad we have if we can keep it together to make a serious threat in the promotion race.Its the right time for all the stay away fans to return and get behind the team and forget their differences with the current owners and get us back where we belong,,we have to make next season count because it is vital for everyone when you consider how much money the club is losing we cannot keep going at this rate we must get it right next year without doubt,let,s start next season and hit the ground running ,,[/p][/quote]"...and get us back where we belong..." But you are back where you belong, in the second tier of English football as a penniless tin-pot also-ran, just like you were before Jack Walker wasted his life savings on you. Talk about arrogance.[/p][/quote]Typical dingle, talking ill if the dead. Did nobody ever teach you any respect you inbred piece of sh1t? What is wrong with you? It's every story you feel the need to post some ridiculous nonsense. Have you nobody that loves you? It's really sad. jimluftas
  • Score: 2

4:52pm Thu 8 May 14

roverstid says...

Super_Clarets wrote:
noddy57 wrote:
Conway has been a very good signing and he will be vital for the coming season if we are to realise our potential, l am full of confidence for next season and l expect the squad we have if we can keep it together to make a serious threat in the promotion race.Its the right time for all the stay away fans to return and get behind the team and forget their differences with the current owners and get us back where we belong,,we have to make next season count because it is vital for everyone when you consider how much money the club is losing we cannot keep going at this rate we must get it right next year without doubt,let,s start next season and hit the ground running ,,
"...and get us back where we belong..."

But you are back where you belong, in the second tier of English football as a penniless tin-pot also-ran, just like you were before Jack Walker wasted his life savings on you. Talk about arrogance.
Over a decade in the Premiership says, as with all your unsavoury opinions, that you are wrong my soon to be the new premiership three point gifting whipping boys deluded infestation.
[quote][p][bold]Super_Clarets[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]noddy57[/bold] wrote: Conway has been a very good signing and he will be vital for the coming season if we are to realise our potential, l am full of confidence for next season and l expect the squad we have if we can keep it together to make a serious threat in the promotion race.Its the right time for all the stay away fans to return and get behind the team and forget their differences with the current owners and get us back where we belong,,we have to make next season count because it is vital for everyone when you consider how much money the club is losing we cannot keep going at this rate we must get it right next year without doubt,let,s start next season and hit the ground running ,,[/p][/quote]"...and get us back where we belong..." But you are back where you belong, in the second tier of English football as a penniless tin-pot also-ran, just like you were before Jack Walker wasted his life savings on you. Talk about arrogance.[/p][/quote]Over a decade in the Premiership says, as with all your unsavoury opinions, that you are wrong my soon to be the new premiership three point gifting whipping boys deluded infestation. roverstid
  • Score: 3

8:15pm Thu 8 May 14

Super_Clarets says...

jimluftas wrote:
Super_Clarets wrote:
noddy57 wrote:
Conway has been a very good signing and he will be vital for the coming season if we are to realise our potential, l am full of confidence for next season and l expect the squad we have if we can keep it together to make a serious threat in the promotion race.Its the right time for all the stay away fans to return and get behind the team and forget their differences with the current owners and get us back where we belong,,we have to make next season count because it is vital for everyone when you consider how much money the club is losing we cannot keep going at this rate we must get it right next year without doubt,let,s start next season and hit the ground running ,,
"...and get us back where we belong..."

But you are back where you belong, in the second tier of English football as a penniless tin-pot also-ran, just like you were before Jack Walker wasted his life savings on you. Talk about arrogance.
Typical dingle, talking ill if the dead. Did nobody ever teach you any respect you inbred piece of sh1t? What is wrong with you? It's every story you feel the need to post some ridiculous nonsense. Have you nobody that loves you? It's really sad.
Who's talking ill of the dead? I mention Jack Walker and you get all emotional...

Calm down Mungo. It's fact, you started off in the second tier as a struggling nobody before Jackpot Jack came along with more pound notes than brain cells, but now that he's gone (sadly) and the money has been spent, that's where you are once more.

"Did nobody ever teach you any respect you inbred piece of sh1t?"

And that statement speaks for itself, coming from an uneducated, angry, bitter, deluded, no-dad who has been tormented by the Clarets all season, beaten at home, prevented from reaching the play-off's, and then the ultimate nightmare watching Burnley achieve automatic promotion to the Premier League.

I'm not surprised your so angry Mungo, not one bit. But it's only going to get worse for you lot so I'd tone it down a bit, there's a good ladyboy.
[quote][p][bold]jimluftas[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Super_Clarets[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]noddy57[/bold] wrote: Conway has been a very good signing and he will be vital for the coming season if we are to realise our potential, l am full of confidence for next season and l expect the squad we have if we can keep it together to make a serious threat in the promotion race.Its the right time for all the stay away fans to return and get behind the team and forget their differences with the current owners and get us back where we belong,,we have to make next season count because it is vital for everyone when you consider how much money the club is losing we cannot keep going at this rate we must get it right next year without doubt,let,s start next season and hit the ground running ,,[/p][/quote]"...and get us back where we belong..." But you are back where you belong, in the second tier of English football as a penniless tin-pot also-ran, just like you were before Jack Walker wasted his life savings on you. Talk about arrogance.[/p][/quote]Typical dingle, talking ill if the dead. Did nobody ever teach you any respect you inbred piece of sh1t? What is wrong with you? It's every story you feel the need to post some ridiculous nonsense. Have you nobody that loves you? It's really sad.[/p][/quote]Who's talking ill of the dead? I mention Jack Walker and you get all emotional... Calm down Mungo. It's fact, you started off in the second tier as a struggling nobody before Jackpot Jack came along with more pound notes than brain cells, but now that he's gone (sadly) and the money has been spent, that's where you are once more. "Did nobody ever teach you any respect you inbred piece of sh1t?" And that statement speaks for itself, coming from an uneducated, angry, bitter, deluded, no-dad who has been tormented by the Clarets all season, beaten at home, prevented from reaching the play-off's, and then the ultimate nightmare watching Burnley achieve automatic promotion to the Premier League. I'm not surprised your so angry Mungo, not one bit. But it's only going to get worse for you lot so I'd tone it down a bit, there's a good ladyboy. Super_Clarets
  • Score: 2

10:25pm Thu 8 May 14

digitusjonfred says...

Super_Clarets wrote:
jimluftas wrote:
Super_Clarets wrote:
noddy57 wrote:
Conway has been a very good signing and he will be vital for the coming season if we are to realise our potential, l am full of confidence for next season and l expect the squad we have if we can keep it together to make a serious threat in the promotion race.Its the right time for all the stay away fans to return and get behind the team and forget their differences with the current owners and get us back where we belong,,we have to make next season count because it is vital for everyone when you consider how much money the club is losing we cannot keep going at this rate we must get it right next year without doubt,let,s start next season and hit the ground running ,,
"...and get us back where we belong..."

But you are back where you belong, in the second tier of English football as a penniless tin-pot also-ran, just like you were before Jack Walker wasted his life savings on you. Talk about arrogance.
Typical dingle, talking ill if the dead. Did nobody ever teach you any respect you inbred piece of sh1t? What is wrong with you? It's every story you feel the need to post some ridiculous nonsense. Have you nobody that loves you? It's really sad.
Who's talking ill of the dead? I mention Jack Walker and you get all emotional...

Calm down Mungo. It's fact, you started off in the second tier as a struggling nobody before Jackpot Jack came along with more pound notes than brain cells, but now that he's gone (sadly) and the money has been spent, that's where you are once more.

"Did nobody ever teach you any respect you inbred piece of sh1t?"

And that statement speaks for itself, coming from an uneducated, angry, bitter, deluded, no-dad who has been tormented by the Clarets all season, beaten at home, prevented from reaching the play-off's, and then the ultimate nightmare watching Burnley achieve automatic promotion to the Premier League.

I'm not surprised your so angry Mungo, not one bit. But it's only going to get worse for you lot so I'd tone it down a bit, there's a good ladyboy.
Just like when BOB LORD pour his money in to you in the 60,s and 70,s..PULL YA HEAD IN YA TOSSER.
[quote][p][bold]Super_Clarets[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jimluftas[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Super_Clarets[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]noddy57[/bold] wrote: Conway has been a very good signing and he will be vital for the coming season if we are to realise our potential, l am full of confidence for next season and l expect the squad we have if we can keep it together to make a serious threat in the promotion race.Its the right time for all the stay away fans to return and get behind the team and forget their differences with the current owners and get us back where we belong,,we have to make next season count because it is vital for everyone when you consider how much money the club is losing we cannot keep going at this rate we must get it right next year without doubt,let,s start next season and hit the ground running ,,[/p][/quote]"...and get us back where we belong..." But you are back where you belong, in the second tier of English football as a penniless tin-pot also-ran, just like you were before Jack Walker wasted his life savings on you. Talk about arrogance.[/p][/quote]Typical dingle, talking ill if the dead. Did nobody ever teach you any respect you inbred piece of sh1t? What is wrong with you? It's every story you feel the need to post some ridiculous nonsense. Have you nobody that loves you? It's really sad.[/p][/quote]Who's talking ill of the dead? I mention Jack Walker and you get all emotional... Calm down Mungo. It's fact, you started off in the second tier as a struggling nobody before Jackpot Jack came along with more pound notes than brain cells, but now that he's gone (sadly) and the money has been spent, that's where you are once more. "Did nobody ever teach you any respect you inbred piece of sh1t?" And that statement speaks for itself, coming from an uneducated, angry, bitter, deluded, no-dad who has been tormented by the Clarets all season, beaten at home, prevented from reaching the play-off's, and then the ultimate nightmare watching Burnley achieve automatic promotion to the Premier League. I'm not surprised your so angry Mungo, not one bit. But it's only going to get worse for you lot so I'd tone it down a bit, there's a good ladyboy.[/p][/quote]Just like when BOB LORD pour his money in to you in the 60,s and 70,s..PULL YA HEAD IN YA TOSSER. digitusjonfred
  • Score: 0

10:42pm Thu 8 May 14

jimluftas says...

Super_Clarets wrote:
jimluftas wrote:
Super_Clarets wrote:
noddy57 wrote:
Conway has been a very good signing and he will be vital for the coming season if we are to realise our potential, l am full of confidence for next season and l expect the squad we have if we can keep it together to make a serious threat in the promotion race.Its the right time for all the stay away fans to return and get behind the team and forget their differences with the current owners and get us back where we belong,,we have to make next season count because it is vital for everyone when you consider how much money the club is losing we cannot keep going at this rate we must get it right next year without doubt,let,s start next season and hit the ground running ,,
"...and get us back where we belong..."

But you are back where you belong, in the second tier of English football as a penniless tin-pot also-ran, just like you were before Jack Walker wasted his life savings on you. Talk about arrogance.
Typical dingle, talking ill if the dead. Did nobody ever teach you any respect you inbred piece of sh1t? What is wrong with you? It's every story you feel the need to post some ridiculous nonsense. Have you nobody that loves you? It's really sad.
Who's talking ill of the dead? I mention Jack Walker and you get all emotional...

Calm down Mungo. It's fact, you started off in the second tier as a struggling nobody before Jackpot Jack came along with more pound notes than brain cells, but now that he's gone (sadly) and the money has been spent, that's where you are once more.

"Did nobody ever teach you any respect you inbred piece of sh1t?"

And that statement speaks for itself, coming from an uneducated, angry, bitter, deluded, no-dad who has been tormented by the Clarets all season, beaten at home, prevented from reaching the play-off's, and then the ultimate nightmare watching Burnley achieve automatic promotion to the Premier League.

I'm not surprised your so angry Mungo, not one bit. But it's only going to get worse for you lot so I'd tone it down a bit, there's a good ladyboy.
Tormented all season? It's hardly 34 years is it? You'd think we'd never experienced the prem before. You still haven't explained to anyone why on earth you are so obsessed with rovers? I'm bitter yet you spend your entire life on here.
[quote][p][bold]Super_Clarets[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jimluftas[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Super_Clarets[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]noddy57[/bold] wrote: Conway has been a very good signing and he will be vital for the coming season if we are to realise our potential, l am full of confidence for next season and l expect the squad we have if we can keep it together to make a serious threat in the promotion race.Its the right time for all the stay away fans to return and get behind the team and forget their differences with the current owners and get us back where we belong,,we have to make next season count because it is vital for everyone when you consider how much money the club is losing we cannot keep going at this rate we must get it right next year without doubt,let,s start next season and hit the ground running ,,[/p][/quote]"...and get us back where we belong..." But you are back where you belong, in the second tier of English football as a penniless tin-pot also-ran, just like you were before Jack Walker wasted his life savings on you. Talk about arrogance.[/p][/quote]Typical dingle, talking ill if the dead. Did nobody ever teach you any respect you inbred piece of sh1t? What is wrong with you? It's every story you feel the need to post some ridiculous nonsense. Have you nobody that loves you? It's really sad.[/p][/quote]Who's talking ill of the dead? I mention Jack Walker and you get all emotional... Calm down Mungo. It's fact, you started off in the second tier as a struggling nobody before Jackpot Jack came along with more pound notes than brain cells, but now that he's gone (sadly) and the money has been spent, that's where you are once more. "Did nobody ever teach you any respect you inbred piece of sh1t?" And that statement speaks for itself, coming from an uneducated, angry, bitter, deluded, no-dad who has been tormented by the Clarets all season, beaten at home, prevented from reaching the play-off's, and then the ultimate nightmare watching Burnley achieve automatic promotion to the Premier League. I'm not surprised your so angry Mungo, not one bit. But it's only going to get worse for you lot so I'd tone it down a bit, there's a good ladyboy.[/p][/quote]Tormented all season? It's hardly 34 years is it? You'd think we'd never experienced the prem before. You still haven't explained to anyone why on earth you are so obsessed with rovers? I'm bitter yet you spend your entire life on here. jimluftas
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree