DANNY Ings’ winner helped Burnley recover from a goal down at Ewood Park and claim their first victory over Blackburn Rovers in 35 years.

Ings netted with 12 minutes left , five minutes after Jason Shackell had cancelled out Jordan Rhodes’ first-half opener.

The win was Burnley’s first over East Lancashire rivals Rovers since 1979, and moved them eight points clear in second place in the Championship.


The match started with a chicken on the pitch and Rovers had the first chance when Tom Heaton saved Jordan Rhodes’ header.

Burnley thought they were ahead after only seven minutes when Sam Vokes turned in Scott Arfield’s low cross, only to be denied by the offside flag.


Television replays appeared to show Vokes had been offside by inches. Arfield headed on to the roof of the net for the visitors but Rovers were ahead in the 24th minute as Jason Lowe whipped the ball into the box and Rhodes swivelled to fire low into the bottom corner.

This Is Lancashire: Blackburn Rovers v Burnley FC, Ewood Park

Danny Ings had a fine chance to equaliser when he was played in by Craig Conway’s stray backpass, but Paul Robinson saved before the striker turned the rebound wide.

Rovers came close to moving 2-0 up at the other end when Ben Mee had to clear off the line from Lowe, although Burnley appealed for a penalty soon after half time as Ings went down under Grant Hanley’s challenge.

Rhodes had a golden opportunity to extend Rovers’ advantage when he was played clear by David Dunn, only to see his shot hit the post.

From there Burnley introduced Ross Wallace and with 17 minutes left the wide man swung in a free kick and defender Jason Shackell beat Robinson to the ball to head home – having also scored for the Clarets at Ewood 12 months ago.

The visitors were ahead only five minutes later as Wallace managed to poke the ball back into the danger area and fellow substitute Ashley Barnes teed up Ings to fire low past Robinson from 10 yards.

This Is Lancashire: Blackburn Rovers v Burnley FC, Ewood Park

Heaton saved from Lowe and Rudy Gestede in the closing stages, but Rovers could not find an equaliser.

Rovers boss Gary Bowyer said: "We're hugely disappointed to have lost. I thought it was harsh, but in football it is fine margins. Jordan Rhodes goes through one on one and hits the post. We are disappointed with the two goals we have conceded.

"My criticism of the side is that we have conceded two goals and the manner of the two goals.

"They [Burnley] are second in the league - you think they will get automatic promotion. That is what comes from having a settled squad like they do. It is something we have been working to and working very hard.

"My lads have to keep going. We have go again. People will probably write us off, but that is not the right thing to do. It is important we finish as strongly as we possibly can."

Burnley manager Sean Dyche said: "I thought the lads delivered a fine performance.

"Credit to Blackburn - they made life very difficult as they would in a big game like this one.

"I said to the lads at half time: ‘Lads, we’re on the cusp of making history don’t worry about being 1-0 down.’

"I am absolutely delighted for the fans because they’ve waited a long time for this moment. The fans have been terrific for us all season.

"It is only significant because it’s another three points. We’ve got another big game coming on Wednesday I have said enjoy this evening make sure you rest easy and make sure you recover.

"The players need to stay calm and focussed as they are doing."

Rovers: Paul Robinson; Adam Henley, Grant Hanley, Michael Keane, Tommy Spurr; Craig Conway, Corry Evans (Chris Taylor 90), Jason Lowe, Luke Varney (Rudy Gestede 81); David Dunn (Liam Feeney 70); Jordan Rhodes.

Subs not used: Simon Eastwood, Todd Kane, Markus Olsson, Lee Williamson.

Burnley: Tom Heaton; Kieran Trippier, Michael Duff, Jason Shackell, Ben Mee; Michael Kightly (Ross Wallace 68), Dean Marney, David Jones, Scott Arfield; Sam Vokes (Ashley Barnes 68), Danny Ings.

Subs not used: Alex Cisak, Kevin Long, David Edgar, Junior Stanislas, Keith Treacy.

Referee: Mike Dean.

Attendance: 21,589.