Blackburn Rovers star Jordan Rhodes 'will not be sold to Wigan'
DEREK Shaw has made it clear that Blackburn Rovers have no intention of selling Jordan Rhodes to Wigan or any Championship club before the end of the transfer window.
Wigan have been linked with a bid for Rovers’ star man and their boss Owen Coyle has refused to confirm or deny whether the Latics have made an initial enquiry about the striker.
Rovers have always insisted that Rhodes is not for sale but know that they could face a challenge to hang on to the 23-year-old if a Premier League club come calling before September 2.
Managing director Shaw, though, says a bid from a fellow Championship club would be a completely different matter.
Asked whether Rovers had received an enquiry from Wigan, Shaw said: “Whether there was an enquiry or not, it doesn’t matter.
“We have no plans to sell Jordan and we don’t want to sell him. He’s not for sale.
“If it was a Premier League club it might be a different case because Jordan would probably want to go.
“But we have no plans to sell to another club in the Championship and he is not for sale, as we’ve said all summer.
“We’re trying to get out of this division so we certainly wouldn’t want to sell to a competitor in the Championship.”
Wigan are said to still be contemplating whether to test Rovers’ resolve with a bid, with the Latics waiting to see whether they will receive funds from the potential sale of James McCarthy, who has been linked with a £15m move to Everton.
Bolton were also linked with Rhodes earlier in the summer, although their boss Dougie Freedman quickly played down those reports.
A number of clubs are still sending scouts to watch the striker, who scored twice in Saturday’s 5-2 home win against Barnsley.
West Bromwich Albion could still be in the market for a forward, with Nicolas Anelka’s future in doubt, while West Ham United held an interest in Rhodes earlier in the summer.
Rovers are still trying to add to their squad with new signings themselves, but Shaw admits there is a frustration that the transfer window creates such speculation and uncertainty - almost a month after the season got underway.
“I know a lot of managers have had things to say about the transfer window and I agree with them, it’s not for me,” he said.
“You’re still unsure about players and we’ve had a month of the season gone now.
“You get an enquiry that ends up in the papers but that’s not my way of doing things or Blackburn Rovers’ way of doing things.
“We are working hard on certain things but until it’s done we’ll keep things to ourselves.
“We’re trying hard to get one or two things done and we’ll see what happens.”
Comments are closed on this article.