WEST Ham United look to set to admit defeat in their pursuit of Martin Olsson with Blackburn Rovers continuing to price the Swedish international out of the market.
The Hammers had a bid in the region of £2million rejected for the left back earlier in the month and were told their valuation of the player was significantly lower than the club’s.
Reports yesterday claimed former Rovers boss Sam Allardyce was about to come in with an improved offer for the 24-year-old, although no further official contact has been made since the initial bid.
Now West Ham manager Allardyce has admitted their interest in Olsson is all but over for the moment, claiming Rovers are asking too much for him.
Allardyce said: “We’ve not made any further enquiries or any further bids for Martin Olsson.
“At this moment in time we haven’t got the funds to go back in with a higher bid.”
West Ham are not the only club interested in Olsson this month, with a number of clubs from across Europe monitoring his situation. No other official bids have been received though and, with Rovers believed to be asking for offers in excess of £6m before even considering selling, the club remain confident of keeping him.
Sources close to the player have told the Lancashire Telegraph he would be interested in the opportunity to speak to a suitor – should an offer be accepted – but is not about to try to force a move away from Ewood Park.
Olsson, who is under contract until 2015, is believed to be content with life in East Lancashire and ready to play a key role in the club's push for an instant Premier League return.
The player had initially feared Premier League relegation would harm his international aspirations but, with that having not come to fruition, Olsson is unlikely to make life difficult for the club if a move does not transpire this month.
Rovers have been boosted by the news January signing Josh King is expected to be available for Saturday’s visit of Charlton, despite missing Friday’s draw at Wolves with a hamstring injury.
King is understood to be back in training this week, with Friday’s withdrawal precautionary, and is likely to be available for new boss Michael Appleton.
Appleton took the chance to watch some of his squad in action in a behind closed doors friendly against Fleetwood at Brockhall yesterday.
The new manager gave run-outs to a number of senior players including Gael Givet, Mauro Formica, David Goodwillie and Nuno Gomes in the 2-1 victory.
Striker Anton Forrester also played in the fixture with Rovers set to seal a deal for the 18-year-old Everton youngster in the coming days.