Giant-killing Reds face cup draw wait

This Is Lancashire: Stanley celebrate their stunning win Picture: KIPAX Stanley celebrate their stunning win Picture: KIPAX

ACCRINGTON Stanley’s giant-killing youngsters face a wait to find out who their fourth round opponents will be in the FA Youth Cup while the outstanding round three ties are completed.

Stanley stunned Premier League side West Ham United on Tuesday night with a 2-1 win at the Store First Stadium.

Max Hazeldine’s extra time winner saw the young Reds into the last 32 of the competition for the first time in their history.

And youth team boss Keith Brown admitted the magnitude of the result had yet to sink in.

“I think I’m still trying to come down from the actual result,” said Brown. “I’m sure later on tonight when I think things over and reflect, I’ll realise really how important this result was for the club.

“We always keep saying that it’s important to try and test yourself against so called better opposition.

“Credit to West Ham, they’re a fantastic club and throughout their past history they’ve always produced some very good players from the academy.

“We’ve got players that are hungry, that want success and if we keep helping them, giving them that education, that platform, then I’m sure they’ll go on and be successful.”

Stanley’s fourth round tie will be played at some point before January 25.

Blackburn Rovers were beaten 1-0 by Cardiff City in their last 64 clash with Yora Enzam goal separating the sides.

Enzam’s winner came in the 79th minute shortly after hitting the bar. Rovers also hit the woodwork when Ian Vickers’ cross bounced off the top of the bar.

Rovers first team boss Gary Bowyer, and his Cardiff counterpart Malky Mackay, both watched the game at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Burnley’s youngsters take on Manchester United in their third round tie on Monday night at Turf Moor.

They knocked United out of the competition at Old Trafford last season and will be keen to join Stanley in the fourth round.

Accrington were actually seconds from victory in normal time in their third round clash against the Hammers after taking the lead shortly after the break through Nathan Webb.

But the visitors’ Jamie Harney sent the tie into extra time when he levelled in the final seconds, only for Hazeldine to win it with the sides just four minutes from penalties.

Webb’s opener came in spectacular style against the run of play three minutes after the break.

Hartley’s cross from the right hand side found its way to the back post and Webb acrobatically sent an overhead kick into the net.

Stanley continued to keep the Hammers at bay until the final seconds when Harney was able to head home a corner and bring about the extra period.

Both sides created chances in extra time but the winning goal came on 116 minutes when Hazeldine bundled home after Kealan Steenson’s corner found its way to him.

There was still time for more drama when West Ham’s Kevin Knoyle was sent off but there was nothing that could take the gloss off a famous Stanley win.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:18am Thu 12 Dec 13

BigOrra says...

Burnley or Man U in the next round then. Either would be a fitting reward for the excellent dispaly against WHU
Burnley or Man U in the next round then. Either would be a fitting reward for the excellent dispaly against WHU BigOrra

Comments are closed on this article.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree