BURNLEY picked up the first point of their Premier League campaign after a highly encouraging performance against Manchester United.

Louis van Gaal’s visitors were able to include British record signing Angel Di Maria in their line-up but the Clarets had the better of the match for long stages and had opportunities to win it.

Burnley troubled United from the start, creating two chances in the opening minutes.

David Jones curled a free kick on to the crossbar with David De Gea stranded, before the Spanish keeper had to deny Lukas Jutkiewicz following a poor backpass from Jonny Evans.

Tom Heaton had to make a good save at the other end from Robin van Persie after the Dutchman collected a lofted ball over the top, but United and £59.7m buy Di Maria were becoming agitated as a result of Burnley’s pressing in midfield.

Kieran Trippier received cheers from the Turf Moor crowd after nutmegging Wayne Rooney.

Scott Arfield headed wide from a Jutkiewicz cross before Jones came close again, with De Gea having to punch the midfielder’s powerful 20-yard volley over the bar.

Dean Marney had to clear Van Persie’s effort off the line after the interval, before the forward headed just over from Darren Fletcher’s cross.

United withdrew Di Maria after 70 minutes and then had a late penalty appeal turned down after claiming handball from substitute Ashley Barnes, but Burnley were fully deserving of a point.

Burnley: Tom Heaton; Kieran Trippier, Michael Duff, Jason Shackell, Ben Mee; Scott Arfield, Dean Marney, David Jones, Matt Taylor (Steven Reid 88); Danny Ings (Ashley Barnes 79), Lukas Jutkiewicz. Subs not used: Matt Gilks, Kevin Long, Stephen Ward, Ross Wallace, Marvin Sordell.

Manchester United: David De Gea; Jonny Evans, Phil Jones, Tyler Blackett; Antonio Valencia, Juan Mata (Adnan Januzaj 87), Darren Fletcher, Angel Di Maria (Anderson 70), Ashley Young; Robin Van Persie (Danny Welbeck 73), Wayne Rooney. Subs not used: Ben Amos, Reece James, Michael Keane, Javier Hernandez.

Referee: Chris Foy.