Hard work will pay off, says Burnley boss

Lukas Jutkiewicz nets against FC Grossklein

Lukas Jutkiewicz nets against FC Grossklein

First published in Sport This Is Lancashire: Photograph of the Author by , Burnley FC reporter

BURNLEY boss Sean Dyche believes the Clarets can reap the rewards of their Austrian training camp once the Premier League season gets under way next month.

The Turf Moor boss watched his side end their overseas stay with a comfortable 8-0 win over FC Grossklein on Sunday and was pleased with what he saw.

And the Clarets chief also believes the trip has boosted fitness levels and team building within his side ahead of their top-flight opener against Chelsea on Monday, August 18.

Dyche said: “The main tactical work will start once we get back. This early part of pre-season is physically-minded.

“They do a lot of football, but it is all built up around the physical side, to get that strong fitness base.

“When we get back to Burnley we will start building in the tactical side and how the team operates.

“We got the players in slightly earlier this season for testing and to make sure they are ready and their bodies are ready. Trust me, it’s a long pre-season, so to get away and have a trip just breaks up that period. They know when they go away they are going to work hard and they certainly did.

“It’s well documented that we like to do one very hard day when we are on tour. It was important to do that, because it’s about the mental and team building side of things, but that’s a one-off, just to test the players mentally and physically.

“The rest of the time it’s all football fitness, but then it is important to have some game time, so we will get back home now and build towards the next game.”

The Clarets travel to Accrington Stanley on Saturday for their next pre-season fixture and Dyche believes the confidence taken from the weekend win over FC Grossklein will stand his squad in good stead – particularly the goalscoring debuts of strikers Marvin Sordell and Lukas Jutkiewicz.

The pair both netted twice and with Ashley Barnes also hitting a brace it was a pleasing afternoon in front of goal.

Dyche added: “We have got a very good, honest, respectful group here and I don’t think the new boys needed to settle in as players.

“We’ve found that happens very quickly with new signings, but they still want to go out and perform, especially in a game like that, when it’s low-key and the opposition are what they are.

“Players still want to do what they do, particularly strikers and for Lukas and Marvin to score is fantastic and both looked well and moulded well into the team.

“We needed a game and we thought this was appropriate. And the lads went about it in the right manner, with a very good attitude.

“There were some really good pockets of play and at this stage it’s really about giving them the game feel again.”

The Burnley boss also thanked the travelling Clarets with a number making the trip to Austria to watch the action in sweltering conditions.

“That was as hot an occasion that I can remember being involved in,” added Dyche. “There were a good number of Burnley fans here, which was fantastic, and they probably realised that too. It must have been 33 degrees and stifling, but that is all part of the reality of getting yourself ready for a season.”

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:17pm Tue 22 Jul 14

AnotherPounding4Burnley says...

You can only get so far working like a dog in the PL, Thrashing the living daylights out of players only ends in injury pile ups and lots of moaning about how if we had him him and him back we would be pushing for Europe.
We need some more quality and skill to compliment our pack horses and donkeys, Last season Vokes cruciate exploded, if you keep running your car at max rpm it will end badly, Be warned, you have been told.
Cue the deluded with their heads stuck out the window on the passenger side, tongue out and waiting for yummy flies
You can only get so far working like a dog in the PL, Thrashing the living daylights out of players only ends in injury pile ups and lots of moaning about how if we had him him and him back we would be pushing for Europe. We need some more quality and skill to compliment our pack horses and donkeys, Last season Vokes cruciate exploded, if you keep running your car at max rpm it will end badly, Be warned, you have been told. Cue the deluded with their heads stuck out the window on the passenger side, tongue out and waiting for yummy flies AnotherPounding4Burnley
  • Score: -23

3:30pm Tue 22 Jul 14

claret777 says...

AnotherPounding4Burn
ley
wrote:
You can only get so far working like a dog in the PL, Thrashing the living daylights out of players only ends in injury pile ups and lots of moaning about how if we had him him and him back we would be pushing for Europe.
We need some more quality and skill to compliment our pack horses and donkeys, Last season Vokes cruciate exploded, if you keep running your car at max rpm it will end badly, Be warned, you have been told.
Cue the deluded with their heads stuck out the window on the passenger side, tongue out and waiting for yummy flies
You are possibly the most saddest thing I know. ..you try and think you are being funny...your the complete opposite...you obviously do not work...you obviously watch Jeremy Kyle and you obviously refresh this page every second of the day so you can be first to comment...what a sad little life you live...you will be single with possibly a dog who never gets taken for walks.
[quote][p][bold]AnotherPounding4Burn ley[/bold] wrote: You can only get so far working like a dog in the PL, Thrashing the living daylights out of players only ends in injury pile ups and lots of moaning about how if we had him him and him back we would be pushing for Europe. We need some more quality and skill to compliment our pack horses and donkeys, Last season Vokes cruciate exploded, if you keep running your car at max rpm it will end badly, Be warned, you have been told. Cue the deluded with their heads stuck out the window on the passenger side, tongue out and waiting for yummy flies[/p][/quote]You are possibly the most saddest thing I know. ..you try and think you are being funny...your the complete opposite...you obviously do not work...you obviously watch Jeremy Kyle and you obviously refresh this page every second of the day so you can be first to comment...what a sad little life you live...you will be single with possibly a dog who never gets taken for walks. claret777
  • Score: 20

3:37pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Sparky86 says...

AnotherPounding4Burn
ley
wrote:
You can only get so far working like a dog in the PL, Thrashing the living daylights out of players only ends in injury pile ups and lots of moaning about how if we had him him and him back we would be pushing for Europe.
We need some more quality and skill to compliment our pack horses and donkeys, Last season Vokes cruciate exploded, if you keep running your car at max rpm it will end badly, Be warned, you have been told.
Cue the deluded with their heads stuck out the window on the passenger side, tongue out and waiting for yummy flies
Come on mate. Give it up.
Both sets of fans are beyond bored.

You're truly embarrassing...
[quote][p][bold]AnotherPounding4Burn ley[/bold] wrote: You can only get so far working like a dog in the PL, Thrashing the living daylights out of players only ends in injury pile ups and lots of moaning about how if we had him him and him back we would be pushing for Europe. We need some more quality and skill to compliment our pack horses and donkeys, Last season Vokes cruciate exploded, if you keep running your car at max rpm it will end badly, Be warned, you have been told. Cue the deluded with their heads stuck out the window on the passenger side, tongue out and waiting for yummy flies[/p][/quote]Come on mate. Give it up. Both sets of fans are beyond bored. You're truly embarrassing... Sparky86
  • Score: 17

3:58pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Chuck Norris' Roundhouse says...

Sparky86 wrote:
AnotherPounding4Burn

ley
wrote:
You can only get so far working like a dog in the PL, Thrashing the living daylights out of players only ends in injury pile ups and lots of moaning about how if we had him him and him back we would be pushing for Europe.
We need some more quality and skill to compliment our pack horses and donkeys, Last season Vokes cruciate exploded, if you keep running your car at max rpm it will end badly, Be warned, you have been told.
Cue the deluded with their heads stuck out the window on the passenger side, tongue out and waiting for yummy flies
Come on mate. Give it up.
Both sets of fans are beyond bored.

You're truly embarrassing...
Look AP4B, even your fellow Blackburn fans think you are an embarrassment to yourself.

Sort it out, delete your username and at least post under your proper guise of a Blackburn fan, you are fooling absolutely nobody, and are becoming a parody of yourself.
[quote][p][bold]Sparky86[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AnotherPounding4Burn ley[/bold] wrote: You can only get so far working like a dog in the PL, Thrashing the living daylights out of players only ends in injury pile ups and lots of moaning about how if we had him him and him back we would be pushing for Europe. We need some more quality and skill to compliment our pack horses and donkeys, Last season Vokes cruciate exploded, if you keep running your car at max rpm it will end badly, Be warned, you have been told. Cue the deluded with their heads stuck out the window on the passenger side, tongue out and waiting for yummy flies[/p][/quote]Come on mate. Give it up. Both sets of fans are beyond bored. You're truly embarrassing...[/p][/quote]Look AP4B, even your fellow Blackburn fans think you are an embarrassment to yourself. Sort it out, delete your username and at least post under your proper guise of a Blackburn fan, you are fooling absolutely nobody, and are becoming a parody of yourself. Chuck Norris' Roundhouse
  • Score: 15

4:17pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Claretcert says...

AnotherPounding4Burn
ley
wrote:
You can only get so far working like a dog in the PL, Thrashing the living daylights out of players only ends in injury pile ups and lots of moaning about how if we had him him and him back we would be pushing for Europe.
We need some more quality and skill to compliment our pack horses and donkeys, Last season Vokes cruciate exploded, if you keep running your car at max rpm it will end badly, Be warned, you have been told.
Cue the deluded with their heads stuck out the window on the passenger side, tongue out and waiting for yummy flies
Attention seeking works for you Gollum but everyone - including BRFC fans consider you to be a dog faeces of a character, your sad deluded little fantasies have got you in a bit of a spin mate. There's nothing of you left, just the predictable stain. You must stink in real life. I mean hum. Bitter stinking life being played out online on your nervous breakdown. Do Rovers a favour, find a new club to attach your sick little bouts of hate onto. Even the dimmer of their number (and there's plenty of them) cringe at your contributions your online flatulence is boring matey. Tidy yourself up for goodness sakes.
[quote][p][bold]AnotherPounding4Burn ley[/bold] wrote: You can only get so far working like a dog in the PL, Thrashing the living daylights out of players only ends in injury pile ups and lots of moaning about how if we had him him and him back we would be pushing for Europe. We need some more quality and skill to compliment our pack horses and donkeys, Last season Vokes cruciate exploded, if you keep running your car at max rpm it will end badly, Be warned, you have been told. Cue the deluded with their heads stuck out the window on the passenger side, tongue out and waiting for yummy flies[/p][/quote]Attention seeking works for you Gollum but everyone - including BRFC fans consider you to be a dog faeces of a character, your sad deluded little fantasies have got you in a bit of a spin mate. There's nothing of you left, just the predictable stain. You must stink in real life. I mean hum. Bitter stinking life being played out online on your nervous breakdown. Do Rovers a favour, find a new club to attach your sick little bouts of hate onto. Even the dimmer of their number (and there's plenty of them) cringe at your contributions your online flatulence is boring matey. Tidy yourself up for goodness sakes. Claretcert
  • Score: 9

4:25pm Tue 22 Jul 14

andy1 says...

AnotherPounding4Burn
ley
wrote:
You can only get so far working like a dog in the PL, Thrashing the living daylights out of players only ends in injury pile ups and lots of moaning about how if we had him him and him back we would be pushing for Europe.
We need some more quality and skill to compliment our pack horses and donkeys, Last season Vokes cruciate exploded, if you keep running your car at max rpm it will end badly, Be warned, you have been told.
Cue the deluded with their heads stuck out the window on the passenger side, tongue out and waiting for yummy flies
Must be the only person in history to never get a like always dislikes maybe it gives you a rush of adrenalin
.
[quote][p][bold]AnotherPounding4Burn ley[/bold] wrote: You can only get so far working like a dog in the PL, Thrashing the living daylights out of players only ends in injury pile ups and lots of moaning about how if we had him him and him back we would be pushing for Europe. We need some more quality and skill to compliment our pack horses and donkeys, Last season Vokes cruciate exploded, if you keep running your car at max rpm it will end badly, Be warned, you have been told. Cue the deluded with their heads stuck out the window on the passenger side, tongue out and waiting for yummy flies[/p][/quote]Must be the only person in history to never get a like always dislikes maybe it gives you a rush of adrenalin . andy1
  • Score: 9

4:32pm Tue 22 Jul 14

McClaret says...

AnotherPounding4Burn
ley
wrote:
You can only get so far working like a dog in the PL, Thrashing the living daylights out of players only ends in injury pile ups and lots of moaning about how if we had him him and him back we would be pushing for Europe.
We need some more quality and skill to compliment our pack horses and donkeys, Last season Vokes cruciate exploded, if you keep running your car at max rpm it will end badly, Be warned, you have been told.
Cue the deluded with their heads stuck out the window on the passenger side, tongue out and waiting for yummy flies
Looks like the Staric folk are awake once again.
Stop feeding it and it will have to go home and play with itself..............
..mmmm, what a thought.
[quote][p][bold]AnotherPounding4Burn ley[/bold] wrote: You can only get so far working like a dog in the PL, Thrashing the living daylights out of players only ends in injury pile ups and lots of moaning about how if we had him him and him back we would be pushing for Europe. We need some more quality and skill to compliment our pack horses and donkeys, Last season Vokes cruciate exploded, if you keep running your car at max rpm it will end badly, Be warned, you have been told. Cue the deluded with their heads stuck out the window on the passenger side, tongue out and waiting for yummy flies[/p][/quote]Looks like the Staric folk are awake once again. Stop feeding it and it will have to go home and play with itself.............. ..mmmm, what a thought. McClaret
  • Score: 9

5:52pm Tue 22 Jul 14

AnotherPounding4Burnley says...

Woah, there's a lot of folk with their head out the window, did you enjoy your flies?
I can only see failure here and here are the facts that will back up my theory.
We claimed we would not make the same mistakes as last time.
Successful champ manager but untried in the PL = check
Unproven strike force at this level = check
Free transfers and journeyman = check
where's the money = check
where's the quality = check

So it appears we are doing exactly the same,
Stupidity = to continue doing something exactly the same way and expect different results, I rest my case
Please back up your opinions with facts instead of petty name calling and visits to fantasy island with the cast of the Hobbit.
Woah, there's a lot of folk with their head out the window, did you enjoy your flies? I can only see failure here and here are the facts that will back up my theory. We claimed we would not make the same mistakes as last time. Successful champ manager but untried in the PL = check Unproven strike force at this level = check Free transfers and journeyman = check where's the money = check where's the quality = check So it appears we are doing exactly the same, Stupidity = to continue doing something exactly the same way and expect different results, I rest my case Please back up your opinions with facts instead of petty name calling and visits to fantasy island with the cast of the Hobbit. AnotherPounding4Burnley
  • Score: -14

6:18pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Claretcert says...

AnotherPounding4Burn
ley
wrote:
Woah, there's a lot of folk with their head out the window, did you enjoy your flies?
I can only see failure here and here are the facts that will back up my theory.
We claimed we would not make the same mistakes as last time.
Successful champ manager but untried in the PL = check
Unproven strike force at this level = check
Free transfers and journeyman = check
where's the money = check
where's the quality = check

So it appears we are doing exactly the same,
Stupidity = to continue doing something exactly the same way and expect different results, I rest my case
Please back up your opinions with facts instead of petty name calling and visits to fantasy island with the cast of the Hobbit.
Fact 1: you're an outstanding fool. When you say 'we' as in us ie Burnley, do you think a username of another pounding for Burnley might not give it away that 'you' are as close to 'we' as I am as close to making you my lifelong pal. Fact 2: other than the obvious idiocy of a stool sample like you expecting others to believe you support Burnley, everything else you write is incoherent, garbled dross like an autost, drunk dyslexic might write. So the facts dimwit is that you're still dim and still posting drivel. Sad troll pervy person you.
[quote][p][bold]AnotherPounding4Burn ley[/bold] wrote: Woah, there's a lot of folk with their head out the window, did you enjoy your flies? I can only see failure here and here are the facts that will back up my theory. We claimed we would not make the same mistakes as last time. Successful champ manager but untried in the PL = check Unproven strike force at this level = check Free transfers and journeyman = check where's the money = check where's the quality = check So it appears we are doing exactly the same, Stupidity = to continue doing something exactly the same way and expect different results, I rest my case Please back up your opinions with facts instead of petty name calling and visits to fantasy island with the cast of the Hobbit.[/p][/quote]Fact 1: you're an outstanding fool. When you say 'we' as in us ie Burnley, do you think a username of another pounding for Burnley might not give it away that 'you' are as close to 'we' as I am as close to making you my lifelong pal. Fact 2: other than the obvious idiocy of a stool sample like you expecting others to believe you support Burnley, everything else you write is incoherent, garbled dross like an autost, drunk dyslexic might write. So the facts dimwit is that you're still dim and still posting drivel. Sad troll pervy person you. Claretcert
  • Score: 9

6:37pm Tue 22 Jul 14

tall in the saddle says...

Another thumping for Chicken Pluckers coming at Darwen. Their recent derby record? Won none
Another thumping for Chicken Pluckers coming at Darwen. Their recent derby record? Won none tall in the saddle
  • Score: 6

6:41pm Tue 22 Jul 14

George Oghani's Ironing Board says...

Sky+ MOTD,DAOF,can't wait.RTID
Sky+ MOTD,DAOF,can't wait.RTID George Oghani's Ironing Board
  • Score: -8

7:00pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Rob_H2O says...

AnotherPounding4Burn
ley
wrote:
Woah, there's a lot of folk with their head out the window, did you enjoy your flies?
I can only see failure here and here are the facts that will back up my theory.
We claimed we would not make the same mistakes as last time.
Successful champ manager but untried in the PL = check
Unproven strike force at this level = check
Free transfers and journeyman = check
where's the money = check
where's the quality = check

So it appears we are doing exactly the same,
Stupidity = to continue doing something exactly the same way and expect different results, I rest my case
Please back up your opinions with facts instead of petty name calling and visits to fantasy island with the cast of the Hobbit.
With pleasure.

Coyle wasn't a successful Championship manager, he was a successful Play-Off manager. Finishing 5th buys you a playoff carnival. It doesn't get you promoted fro the league straight out. Dyche successful Championship Manager - straight up with a near record haul of points.
Just because you choose to employ a young manager like last time, strikers with no experience of the Prem like last time, utilise some free transfers (others purchased) like last time, have no real money to spend like last time, and then say that thee is "no quality" like last time does not mean you've not learned from last time.

Coyle was not a successful Championship manager. He finished fifth. That doesn't get you outright promotion. Dyche finished 2nd. That got outright promotion. Coyle was a successful on-off game guy. The playoff final, the cup runs etc. Dyche had 8 months as England defence coach too. Coyle had no international experience. So not the same.

Robbie Blake and Chris Eagles had experience of the Prem, especially Blake, and where proven in the Prem. So not the same as this time.

All free transfers last time. No. We spent £5m. This time, to date, we have spent £4.25m and have bids out for a further £6.5m. So, £10.75m out in the market. So, not like last time and not just free transfers either time.

Last time we made a loss of £11m getting promoted. This time we traded at a profit. So not the same as lat time.

Until we actually play in the Prem you don't know what will happen. So, until that happens your tripe on that matter is pointless.

In fact, all your "football facts" are tripe and pi.ss in the wind. Just an anti-Burnley position dressed up as debate, as usual.

I have to say that you are the easiest person to defeat in a "debate" I've ever encountered. You are truly hopeless. One paced and thick.

Fish in a barrel. Next time will you stock some Carp please. That's all you're good for - carping.
[quote][p][bold]AnotherPounding4Burn ley[/bold] wrote: Woah, there's a lot of folk with their head out the window, did you enjoy your flies? I can only see failure here and here are the facts that will back up my theory. We claimed we would not make the same mistakes as last time. Successful champ manager but untried in the PL = check Unproven strike force at this level = check Free transfers and journeyman = check where's the money = check where's the quality = check So it appears we are doing exactly the same, Stupidity = to continue doing something exactly the same way and expect different results, I rest my case Please back up your opinions with facts instead of petty name calling and visits to fantasy island with the cast of the Hobbit.[/p][/quote]With pleasure. Coyle wasn't a successful Championship manager, he was a successful Play-Off manager. Finishing 5th buys you a playoff carnival. It doesn't get you promoted fro the league straight out. Dyche successful Championship Manager - straight up with a near record haul of points. Just because you choose to employ a young manager like last time, strikers with no experience of the Prem like last time, utilise some free transfers (others purchased) like last time, have no real money to spend like last time, and then say that thee is "no quality" like last time does not mean you've not learned from last time. Coyle was not a successful Championship manager. He finished fifth. That doesn't get you outright promotion. Dyche finished 2nd. That got outright promotion. Coyle was a successful on-off game guy. The playoff final, the cup runs etc. Dyche had 8 months as England defence coach too. Coyle had no international experience. So not the same. Robbie Blake and Chris Eagles had experience of the Prem, especially Blake, and where proven in the Prem. So not the same as this time. All free transfers last time. No. We spent £5m. This time, to date, we have spent £4.25m and have bids out for a further £6.5m. So, £10.75m out in the market. So, not like last time and not just free transfers either time. Last time we made a loss of £11m getting promoted. This time we traded at a profit. So not the same as lat time. Until we actually play in the Prem you don't know what will happen. So, until that happens your tripe on that matter is pointless. In fact, all your "football facts" are tripe and pi.ss in the wind. Just an anti-Burnley position dressed up as debate, as usual. I have to say that you are the easiest person to defeat in a "debate" I've ever encountered. You are truly hopeless. One paced and thick. Fish in a barrel. Next time will you stock some Carp please. That's all you're good for - carping. Rob_H2O
  • Score: 9

7:13pm Tue 22 Jul 14

The Seagull has landed says...

George Oghani's Ironing Board wrote:
Sky+ MOTD,DAOF,can't wait.RTID
George +5 litres of frosty jack+KY Jelly+horse, HE CAN'T WAIT.
[quote][p][bold]George Oghani's Ironing Board[/bold] wrote: Sky+ MOTD,DAOF,can't wait.RTID[/p][/quote]George +5 litres of frosty jack+KY Jelly+horse, HE CAN'T WAIT. The Seagull has landed
  • Score: 4

7:31pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Claretcert says...

George Oghani's Ironing Board wrote:
Sky+ MOTD,DAOF,can't wait.RTID
Phase 3 of Gollum's meltdown. This username was copied from Clarets Mad. Now you have to ask yourself how much time and effort does this individual direct towards Burnley each waking day? One day he might even turn off channel 4 racing, pull up his jodpurs, put down that riding crop, stop whipping his male member as he straddles his sofa and get down the turf. But luckily the new facial recognition software will have him detained before he gets in. He's got to be on license at least.
[quote][p][bold]George Oghani's Ironing Board[/bold] wrote: Sky+ MOTD,DAOF,can't wait.RTID[/p][/quote]Phase 3 of Gollum's meltdown. This username was copied from Clarets Mad. Now you have to ask yourself how much time and effort does this individual direct towards Burnley each waking day? One day he might even turn off channel 4 racing, pull up his jodpurs, put down that riding crop, stop whipping his male member as he straddles his sofa and get down the turf. But luckily the new facial recognition software will have him detained before he gets in. He's got to be on license at least. Claretcert
  • Score: 8

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree