Player of the month Sam Vokes ready to end derby hoodoo

This Is Lancashire: Sam Vokes Sam Vokes

PLAYER of the month Sam Vokes wants to cap his best season by ending Burnley’s derby hoodoo.

The Clarets’ striker goes into the weekend clash at Ewood Park having taken his tally for the campaign to 19 goals with a strike in Wales’ 3-1 win over Iceland on Wednesday.

Now he has set his sights on reaching the magical 20-goal in Sunday’s showdown with the old enemy.

Vokes, who scooped the Championship’s February player prize for his five-goal haul, has already experienced the sensation of scoring in such an emotionally charged game.

The former Bournemouth striker had only been on the Turf Moor pitch for three minutes when he fired in a late equaliser in the first of last season’s derby encounters.

In cancelling out Jordan Rhodes’ 68th minute opener, Vokes immediately etched his name into Burnley folklore.

But he aims to go one better this time.

“Last year my chances were limited in the side so getting the goal against Blackburn was massive,” said the 24-year-old.

“We were pushing forward late on and chasing it.

“It was a great feeling to score but it would be nice to top that with the winner this time.

“The derby game is a big one for the boys and the fans, and everyone.”

Strike partner Danny Ings is also vying for derby goal honours, and together they have contributed 34 league goals between them – 42 in total – to put the Clarets in a favourable position for promotion.

Vokes, with 16, is just two behind top scorer Ings for Championship goals, leading him to earn a contract extension to the summer of 2017.

But he always believed he was capable of such a strong season, given the chance.

“Something I’ve always wanted is to get a run in the team and get those goals,” said Vokes.

“I knew I could do it if I got the chance. It’s great that the gaffer did and I hope I’ve repaid him.”

Vokes held off competition from Blackburn Rovers goalkeeper Paul Robinson to win the player of the month title as well as Leeds striker Ross McCormack and Derby County left back Craig Forsyth.

Burnley boss Sean Dyche missed out on being named manager of the month despite the Clarets being unbeaten in February with Wigan Athletic manager Uwe Rosler claiming the honours.

Dyche’s side collected 11 points from the month but Wigan picked up one more point to charge into the play-off places.

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:47am Fri 7 Mar 14

stevewhipp says...

Excellent. Really pleased for Sam. Roll on Sunday!! UTC!!!
... Oh and does SD need one more of those? He's got two already. ;-)
Excellent. Really pleased for Sam. Roll on Sunday!! UTC!!! ... Oh and does SD need one more of those? He's got two already. ;-) stevewhipp
  • Score: 9

9:14am Fri 7 Mar 14

look up blackburn says...

Just get the feeling that Sam could be the main man in the derby. He's got all the attributes to frighten Blackburn's suspect defence, big, strong, good in the air, and can finish too. If we put in a performance like that against Forest and Derby Sunday could be a very good day.
Just get the feeling that Sam could be the main man in the derby. He's got all the attributes to frighten Blackburn's suspect defence, big, strong, good in the air, and can finish too. If we put in a performance like that against Forest and Derby Sunday could be a very good day. look up blackburn
  • Score: 8

9:30am Fri 7 Mar 14

Champagne plus charlie says...

It is good that Ings hasn't scored for four games (His longest drought of the season) and up steps Sam Vokes with five goals in the same period.

The sign of a good TEAM.
It is good that Ings hasn't scored for four games (His longest drought of the season) and up steps Sam Vokes with five goals in the same period. The sign of a good TEAM. Champagne plus charlie
  • Score: 10

10:11am Fri 7 Mar 14

houseclaret says...

Congratulations and well deserved. Glad Sean didn't get manager of the month though, we don't want that hoodoo going into Sunday's game.
Just a thought: 4 posts on this topic and not a Rover in sight. Is it too early in the day for most of them? Or is it that with a story like this there is NOTHING to knock. Having said that it hasn't stopped 'em before, our season speaks for itself but still they come a-knocking.
Congratulations and well deserved. Glad Sean didn't get manager of the month though, we don't want that hoodoo going into Sunday's game. Just a thought: 4 posts on this topic and not a Rover in sight. Is it too early in the day for most of them? Or is it that with a story like this there is NOTHING to knock. Having said that it hasn't stopped 'em before, our season speaks for itself but still they come a-knocking. houseclaret
  • Score: 4

10:58am Fri 7 Mar 14

McClaret says...

Make that 5 HouseClaret. Well done Sam, well deserved - now go and celebrate by bagging more goals on Sunday.
UTC
Make that 5 HouseClaret. Well done Sam, well deserved - now go and celebrate by bagging more goals on Sunday. UTC McClaret
  • Score: 5

11:37am Fri 7 Mar 14

houseclaret says...

Seriously guys, what are we thinking about Sunday? In the overall scheme of things Sunday is ONE game on the way to, hopefully, promotion, but how much does it mean to us, eh? They are capable of turning us over but surely their luck must end soon, the last 3 games should have been ours.
Getting more nervous by the minute. I won't be able to eat come Sunday morning. The one consolation is even if we lose we will still be second and, more to the point, we will know what we have to do by Sunday lunchtime.
Good luck to the team and all Clarets everywhere, it HAS to be our day.
Seriously guys, what are we thinking about Sunday? In the overall scheme of things Sunday is ONE game on the way to, hopefully, promotion, but how much does it mean to us, eh? They are capable of turning us over but surely their luck must end soon, the last 3 games should have been ours. Getting more nervous by the minute. I won't be able to eat come Sunday morning. The one consolation is even if we lose we will still be second and, more to the point, we will know what we have to do by Sunday lunchtime. Good luck to the team and all Clarets everywhere, it HAS to be our day. houseclaret
  • Score: 0

12:19pm Fri 7 Mar 14

Champagne plus charlie says...

houseclaret wrote:
Seriously guys, what are we thinking about Sunday? In the overall scheme of things Sunday is ONE game on the way to, hopefully, promotion, but how much does it mean to us, eh? They are capable of turning us over but surely their luck must end soon, the last 3 games should have been ours.
Getting more nervous by the minute. I won't be able to eat come Sunday morning. The one consolation is even if we lose we will still be second and, more to the point, we will know what we have to do by Sunday lunchtime.
Good luck to the team and all Clarets everywhere, it HAS to be our day.
I think if we play like we have done in the last three or four games we will win comfortably. I think we will win the little battles on the pitch, and eventually our superior quality will shine through.

Our work rate is the key and the fact that we don;t allow opponents to settle, and hopefully Blackburn will decide to come out and attack us which will allow us to get behind them and exploit the spaces.

Three points is ours for the taking and I am more than confident that we will do the business.
[quote][p][bold]houseclaret[/bold] wrote: Seriously guys, what are we thinking about Sunday? In the overall scheme of things Sunday is ONE game on the way to, hopefully, promotion, but how much does it mean to us, eh? They are capable of turning us over but surely their luck must end soon, the last 3 games should have been ours. Getting more nervous by the minute. I won't be able to eat come Sunday morning. The one consolation is even if we lose we will still be second and, more to the point, we will know what we have to do by Sunday lunchtime. Good luck to the team and all Clarets everywhere, it HAS to be our day.[/p][/quote]I think if we play like we have done in the last three or four games we will win comfortably. I think we will win the little battles on the pitch, and eventually our superior quality will shine through. Our work rate is the key and the fact that we don;t allow opponents to settle, and hopefully Blackburn will decide to come out and attack us which will allow us to get behind them and exploit the spaces. Three points is ours for the taking and I am more than confident that we will do the business. Champagne plus charlie
  • Score: 1

12:45pm Fri 7 Mar 14

houseclaret says...

Champagne plus charlie wrote:
houseclaret wrote:
Seriously guys, what are we thinking about Sunday? In the overall scheme of things Sunday is ONE game on the way to, hopefully, promotion, but how much does it mean to us, eh? They are capable of turning us over but surely their luck must end soon, the last 3 games should have been ours.
Getting more nervous by the minute. I won't be able to eat come Sunday morning. The one consolation is even if we lose we will still be second and, more to the point, we will know what we have to do by Sunday lunchtime.
Good luck to the team and all Clarets everywhere, it HAS to be our day.
I think if we play like we have done in the last three or four games we will win comfortably. I think we will win the little battles on the pitch, and eventually our superior quality will shine through.

Our work rate is the key and the fact that we don;t allow opponents to settle, and hopefully Blackburn will decide to come out and attack us which will allow us to get behind them and exploit the spaces.

Three points is ours for the taking and I am more than confident that we will do the business.
Agree with all that and their defence must be wetting themselves at the thought of I&V. The good thing now is that defences are so wrapped up with our two guys that it's letting others in to score. I wouldn't bet against Arfield on Sunday. I have no doubt whatsoever about our ability to beat a very ordinary Rovers but I can't help worrying about the sheer luck they get against us normally. Having said that I think that the Darwen End wall of sound will give the guys a lift like never before.
Onwards and upwards.
[quote][p][bold]Champagne plus charlie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]houseclaret[/bold] wrote: Seriously guys, what are we thinking about Sunday? In the overall scheme of things Sunday is ONE game on the way to, hopefully, promotion, but how much does it mean to us, eh? They are capable of turning us over but surely their luck must end soon, the last 3 games should have been ours. Getting more nervous by the minute. I won't be able to eat come Sunday morning. The one consolation is even if we lose we will still be second and, more to the point, we will know what we have to do by Sunday lunchtime. Good luck to the team and all Clarets everywhere, it HAS to be our day.[/p][/quote]I think if we play like we have done in the last three or four games we will win comfortably. I think we will win the little battles on the pitch, and eventually our superior quality will shine through. Our work rate is the key and the fact that we don;t allow opponents to settle, and hopefully Blackburn will decide to come out and attack us which will allow us to get behind them and exploit the spaces. Three points is ours for the taking and I am more than confident that we will do the business.[/p][/quote]Agree with all that and their defence must be wetting themselves at the thought of I&V. The good thing now is that defences are so wrapped up with our two guys that it's letting others in to score. I wouldn't bet against Arfield on Sunday. I have no doubt whatsoever about our ability to beat a very ordinary Rovers but I can't help worrying about the sheer luck they get against us normally. Having said that I think that the Darwen End wall of sound will give the guys a lift like never before. Onwards and upwards. houseclaret
  • Score: 3

1:25pm Fri 7 Mar 14

We'll win the next one says...

houseclaret wrote:
Champagne plus charlie wrote:
houseclaret wrote: Seriously guys, what are we thinking about Sunday? In the overall scheme of things Sunday is ONE game on the way to, hopefully, promotion, but how much does it mean to us, eh? They are capable of turning us over but surely their luck must end soon, the last 3 games should have been ours. Getting more nervous by the minute. I won't be able to eat come Sunday morning. The one consolation is even if we lose we will still be second and, more to the point, we will know what we have to do by Sunday lunchtime. Good luck to the team and all Clarets everywhere, it HAS to be our day.
I think if we play like we have done in the last three or four games we will win comfortably. I think we will win the little battles on the pitch, and eventually our superior quality will shine through. Our work rate is the key and the fact that we don;t allow opponents to settle, and hopefully Blackburn will decide to come out and attack us which will allow us to get behind them and exploit the spaces. Three points is ours for the taking and I am more than confident that we will do the business.
Agree with all that and their defence must be wetting themselves at the thought of I&V. The good thing now is that defences are so wrapped up with our two guys that it's letting others in to score. I wouldn't bet against Arfield on Sunday. I have no doubt whatsoever about our ability to beat a very ordinary Rovers but I can't help worrying about the sheer luck they get against us normally. Having said that I think that the Darwen End wall of sound will give the guys a lift like never before. Onwards and upwards.
Yeah I bet they can't sleep at nights! Rovers are are crap this season, Its the best chance for along time to turn Rovers over good and proper.
[quote][p][bold]houseclaret[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Champagne plus charlie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]houseclaret[/bold] wrote: Seriously guys, what are we thinking about Sunday? In the overall scheme of things Sunday is ONE game on the way to, hopefully, promotion, but how much does it mean to us, eh? They are capable of turning us over but surely their luck must end soon, the last 3 games should have been ours. Getting more nervous by the minute. I won't be able to eat come Sunday morning. The one consolation is even if we lose we will still be second and, more to the point, we will know what we have to do by Sunday lunchtime. Good luck to the team and all Clarets everywhere, it HAS to be our day.[/p][/quote]I think if we play like we have done in the last three or four games we will win comfortably. I think we will win the little battles on the pitch, and eventually our superior quality will shine through. Our work rate is the key and the fact that we don;t allow opponents to settle, and hopefully Blackburn will decide to come out and attack us which will allow us to get behind them and exploit the spaces. Three points is ours for the taking and I am more than confident that we will do the business.[/p][/quote]Agree with all that and their defence must be wetting themselves at the thought of I&V. The good thing now is that defences are so wrapped up with our two guys that it's letting others in to score. I wouldn't bet against Arfield on Sunday. I have no doubt whatsoever about our ability to beat a very ordinary Rovers but I can't help worrying about the sheer luck they get against us normally. Having said that I think that the Darwen End wall of sound will give the guys a lift like never before. Onwards and upwards.[/p][/quote]Yeah I bet they can't sleep at nights! Rovers are are crap this season, Its the best chance for along time to turn Rovers over good and proper. We'll win the next one
  • Score: 7

5:22pm Fri 7 Mar 14

RobH2O says...

A voodoo eh! Well, according to that organ of all that's idiotic Turf Moor Tom, we've been lucky for 30 odd games this season. Well, perhaps Rovers have been lucky in the last 9 league fixtures against us! I think there will be a lot of sour faced no-dads on Sunday come 2.30pm!
A voodoo eh! Well, according to that organ of all that's idiotic Turf Moor Tom, we've been lucky for 30 odd games this season. Well, perhaps Rovers have been lucky in the last 9 league fixtures against us! I think there will be a lot of sour faced no-dads on Sunday come 2.30pm! RobH2O
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree