ROSS Wallace admits he may have to bide his time for a place in the starting line-up following his return from knee surgery.

Wallace made his return to the Burnley squad as an unused substitute in the 3-3 draw at QPR last weekend and is expected to be on the bench once more when the Clarets host Millwall tomorrow.

The Scottish wide man was a regular in the Burnley side before his injury but knows that Michael Kightly and Scott Arfield have since starred on the flanks for the Clarets and now have possession of the shirts.

Wallace is eager to get back on to the field but knows he cannot expect to be starting games straight away.

“The hardest thing was watching the team doing well, which was enjoyable but for me personally I’d like to be out there playing,” the 28-year-old said about his five-month injury lay-off.

“I’m excited to get back, I want to get on the pitch with the boys because they’re playing so well at the moment.

“But Kights and Scott have done really well and it’s up to them to keep playing well, they’ve got the shirts at the minute.

“I’ll just take it as it comes. Obviously it’s frustrating sitting there on the bench but if the boys are doing really well sometimes you just can’t do anything, and the team is playing really well.

“You can’t have any complaints, you just train hard and as long as you’re training well when your chance comes, if you’re getting 10, 15 or 20 minutes off the bench you take your chance.

“You’ve got to try to make an impact when you come on and try to create a goal or score a goal.”

Wallace decided to have an operation on his knee after struggling through the early weeks of the season and acknowledges that Burnley’s form during the current campaign eased the need to risk him returning too quickly.

“It was basically just a wear and tear injury, it was no cruciate or anything like that,” he said, “But it was still a bit of an operation that had to get done, it was one of those things that needed doing eventually and I decided to go for it then.

“We were playing Yeovil and I was having a stinker in the second half and I just couldn’t run.

“I didn’t feel right and I took the decision after the game. We got a scan and two days later I was having an operation.

“The last few weeks I’ve been dying to be on the bench but it’s important you have three reserve games, 45 minutes, 75 and then 90. That’s stood me in good stead.

“The manager spoke to me and put the reins on it a bit. Because the team has been doing so well - we’ve had a decent squad and not any injuries, just me, I’ve generally been on my own - there’s not really been any rush to get back.

“I’ve been able to put the reins on and just hold back for another two or three weeks.

“You’ve just got to make sure you get your knee’s right because you can come back too early and then you can break down again.”