Stephen Cummings column: Money cannot buy Burnley attitude

Harry Redknapp

Harry Redknapp

First published in Sport This Is Lancashire: Photograph of the Author by , Burnley FC fan columnist

I DON’T know about you, but by the time The Football League Show trundles around on a Saturday evening I’ve usually taken a snifter or two.

But last week’s edition had me wondering whether I should ease off the electric soup, when I thought I heard Manish Bhasin praising Harry Redknapp for displaying “a canny touch in the transfer market.”

Don’t get me wrong. I’m sure Redknapp knows exactly what he’s doing and it may well be that his January captures play a pivotal role in getting Queens Park Rangers over the line come the end of the season.

But dabbling in the transfer market is that much easier when you have a board who are willing to facilitate the arrival of a quartet of strikers and a couple of other signings.

This, of course, is in addition to a squad which is valued at around £50million and reads like a who’s who of the Premier League from about five years ago.

Okay, so Richard Dunne, Clint Hill, Nico Kranjcar, Joey Barton, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Jermaine Jenas, Bobby Zamora and Andy Johnson may not be in the prime of their careers, but Redknapp was already presiding over a proven and experienced group of players prior to Friday’s splurge.

Set in that context, scattergun might be a more accurate adjective than canny.

Compare the London club’s shopping spree to Burnley’s and it only serves to underline the fact that the race to get out of the Championship is not being played out on a level playing field.

While QPR were stockpiling strikers, the Clarets were paying up the contracts of a couple of fringe players – possibly to offset the cost of their only January signing, Ashley Barnes.

All of which makes Saturday’s 3-3 draw all the more impressive. No other team has scored more than one goal at Loftus Road all season, none have come back after twice falling behind and it’s difficult to imagine a team more deserving of coming away with a maximum haul.

Here was a performance which embodied what Sean Dyche has built at Turf Moor over the last 15 months – a fantastic togetherness, a tireless work ethic and a refusal to lie down.

Let other clubs play the transfer market all they like, Burnley are rich in qualities that money alone simply cannot buy.

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:00pm Tue 4 Feb 14

Champagne plus charlie says...

Agreed - Junior Toilet is probably on the same weekly wage as Vokes, Ings and Ashley Barnes combined.
Agreed - Junior Toilet is probably on the same weekly wage as Vokes, Ings and Ashley Barnes combined. Champagne plus charlie
  • Score: 11

6:44pm Tue 4 Feb 14

claret813 says...

You just cannot buy what Sean has done at Burnley. If he keeps this up, Sean will one day be the England boss.
You just cannot buy what Sean has done at Burnley. If he keeps this up, Sean will one day be the England boss. claret813
  • Score: 9

6:48pm Tue 4 Feb 14

George Oghani's Ironing Board says...

Stone Cold Steve Austin has them fired up I will give you that, however Ings,Trippier and possibly Mee will be away next season no matter what league you are in! Enjoy it whilst it lasts as the wheels could come off at any second, workrate has got you were you are and your squad players either have not got that or the talent. And don't start quoting Wallace or Treacy as back up because you never know what your going to get of either of them
Stone Cold Steve Austin has them fired up I will give you that, however Ings,Trippier and possibly Mee will be away next season no matter what league you are in! Enjoy it whilst it lasts as the wheels could come off at any second, workrate has got you were you are and your squad players either have not got that or the talent. And don't start quoting Wallace or Treacy as back up because you never know what your going to get of either of them George Oghani's Ironing Board
  • Score: -9

8:25pm Tue 4 Feb 14

RobH2O says...

George Oghani's Ironing Board wrote:
Stone Cold Steve Austin has them fired up I will give you that, however Ings,Trippier and possibly Mee will be away next season no matter what league you are in! Enjoy it whilst it lasts as the wheels could come off at any second, workrate has got you were you are and your squad players either have not got that or the talent. And don't start quoting Wallace or Treacy as back up because you never know what your going to get of either of them
The great sage has spoken. He knows all. He has decreed that Ings and Trippier WILL be away, no matter what league we are in. The amazing insight of this on-line genius.

Hang on! His great brain has gone into a momentary crunch. He can't be sure of what will happen to Ben Mee! And, he doesn't actually know what league Burnley will be in. He also says that we can't know what we'll get from Treacy or Wallace!

I know readers will be stunned that I write this, but I think he's a Blackbum Whoavers lad who gets off on wishing the Clarets ill will. He's not a genius at all. He's just a complete twa.t
[quote][p][bold]George Oghani's Ironing Board[/bold] wrote: Stone Cold Steve Austin has them fired up I will give you that, however Ings,Trippier and possibly Mee will be away next season no matter what league you are in! Enjoy it whilst it lasts as the wheels could come off at any second, workrate has got you were you are and your squad players either have not got that or the talent. And don't start quoting Wallace or Treacy as back up because you never know what your going to get of either of them[/p][/quote]The great sage has spoken. He knows all. He has decreed that Ings and Trippier WILL be away, no matter what league we are in. The amazing insight of this on-line genius. Hang on! His great brain has gone into a momentary crunch. He can't be sure of what will happen to Ben Mee! And, he doesn't actually know what league Burnley will be in. He also says that we can't know what we'll get from Treacy or Wallace! I know readers will be stunned that I write this, but I think he's a Blackbum Whoavers lad who gets off on wishing the Clarets ill will. He's not a genius at all. He's just a complete twa.t RobH2O
  • Score: 7

9:33pm Tue 4 Feb 14

bburnrover says...

I am a rovers fan and I agree wih cumings that old 'arry is at the richest club in the championship aud has easily the best squad around but as you say not the best team.
The fact is that you work rally hard for each other which does make up for any deficiency in individual skills but the manager needs praising for creating such a work ethic in his squad.
I am a rovers fan and I agree wih cumings that old 'arry is at the richest club in the championship aud has easily the best squad around but as you say not the best team. The fact is that you work rally hard for each other which does make up for any deficiency in individual skills but the manager needs praising for creating such a work ethic in his squad. bburnrover
  • Score: 4

9:36pm Tue 4 Feb 14

George Oghani's Ironing Board says...

RobH2O wrote:
George Oghani's Ironing Board wrote:
Stone Cold Steve Austin has them fired up I will give you that, however Ings,Trippier and possibly Mee will be away next season no matter what league you are in! Enjoy it whilst it lasts as the wheels could come off at any second, workrate has got you were you are and your squad players either have not got that or the talent. And don't start quoting Wallace or Treacy as back up because you never know what your going to get of either of them
The great sage has spoken. He knows all. He has decreed that Ings and Trippier WILL be away, no matter what league we are in. The amazing insight of this on-line genius.

Hang on! His great brain has gone into a momentary crunch. He can't be sure of what will happen to Ben Mee! And, he doesn't actually know what league Burnley will be in. He also says that we can't know what we'll get from Treacy or Wallace!

I know readers will be stunned that I write this, but I think he's a Blackbum Whoavers lad who gets off on wishing the Clarets ill will. He's not a genius at all. He's just a complete twa.t
Who took the jam out of your doughnut?
[quote][p][bold]RobH2O[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]George Oghani's Ironing Board[/bold] wrote: Stone Cold Steve Austin has them fired up I will give you that, however Ings,Trippier and possibly Mee will be away next season no matter what league you are in! Enjoy it whilst it lasts as the wheels could come off at any second, workrate has got you were you are and your squad players either have not got that or the talent. And don't start quoting Wallace or Treacy as back up because you never know what your going to get of either of them[/p][/quote]The great sage has spoken. He knows all. He has decreed that Ings and Trippier WILL be away, no matter what league we are in. The amazing insight of this on-line genius. Hang on! His great brain has gone into a momentary crunch. He can't be sure of what will happen to Ben Mee! And, he doesn't actually know what league Burnley will be in. He also says that we can't know what we'll get from Treacy or Wallace! I know readers will be stunned that I write this, but I think he's a Blackbum Whoavers lad who gets off on wishing the Clarets ill will. He's not a genius at all. He's just a complete twa.t[/p][/quote]Who took the jam out of your doughnut? George Oghani's Ironing Board
  • Score: -2

10:08am Wed 5 Feb 14

Champagne plus charlie says...

George Oghani's Ironing Board wrote:
Stone Cold Steve Austin has them fired up I will give you that, however Ings,Trippier and possibly Mee will be away next season no matter what league you are in! Enjoy it whilst it lasts as the wheels could come off at any second, workrate has got you were you are and your squad players either have not got that or the talent. And don't start quoting Wallace or Treacy as back up because you never know what your going to get of either of them
Workrate has got us where we are - really? Not skill, or individual brilliance or a formidable unbeaten home record, or the most prolific strike partnership in the country, or the best defence in the football league.

Another Blackburn fiddler with a massive chip on his shoulder about their bigger and better and much much higher in the table rivals.

Bless
[quote][p][bold]George Oghani's Ironing Board[/bold] wrote: Stone Cold Steve Austin has them fired up I will give you that, however Ings,Trippier and possibly Mee will be away next season no matter what league you are in! Enjoy it whilst it lasts as the wheels could come off at any second, workrate has got you were you are and your squad players either have not got that or the talent. And don't start quoting Wallace or Treacy as back up because you never know what your going to get of either of them[/p][/quote]Workrate has got us where we are - really? Not skill, or individual brilliance or a formidable unbeaten home record, or the most prolific strike partnership in the country, or the best defence in the football league. Another Blackburn fiddler with a massive chip on his shoulder about their bigger and better and much much higher in the table rivals. Bless Champagne plus charlie
  • Score: 3

10:23am Wed 5 Feb 14

George Oghani's Ironing Board says...

Champagne plus charlie wrote:
George Oghani's Ironing Board wrote:
Stone Cold Steve Austin has them fired up I will give you that, however Ings,Trippier and possibly Mee will be away next season no matter what league you are in! Enjoy it whilst it lasts as the wheels could come off at any second, workrate has got you were you are and your squad players either have not got that or the talent. And don't start quoting Wallace or Treacy as back up because you never know what your going to get of either of them
Workrate has got us where we are - really? Not skill, or individual brilliance or a formidable unbeaten home record, or the most prolific strike partnership in the country, or the best defence in the football league.

Another Blackburn fiddler with a massive chip on his shoulder about their bigger and better and much much higher in the table rivals.

Bless
I have actually given you lot credit this season as you deserve to be where you are fact, however also face the fact that you are only a couple of injuries away from slipping up in games you have been taking something from. Rovers roll from one game to another so we never know whats coming next, at least its interesting i guess but listen just lighten up and stop getting worked up at every comment, you should be enjoying the moment young man you have waited long enough. Finally you do get my username don't you or did you have to ask someone what it meant? Come on tell us all the truth its ok!
[quote][p][bold]Champagne plus charlie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]George Oghani's Ironing Board[/bold] wrote: Stone Cold Steve Austin has them fired up I will give you that, however Ings,Trippier and possibly Mee will be away next season no matter what league you are in! Enjoy it whilst it lasts as the wheels could come off at any second, workrate has got you were you are and your squad players either have not got that or the talent. And don't start quoting Wallace or Treacy as back up because you never know what your going to get of either of them[/p][/quote]Workrate has got us where we are - really? Not skill, or individual brilliance or a formidable unbeaten home record, or the most prolific strike partnership in the country, or the best defence in the football league. Another Blackburn fiddler with a massive chip on his shoulder about their bigger and better and much much higher in the table rivals. Bless[/p][/quote]I have actually given you lot credit this season as you deserve to be where you are fact, however also face the fact that you are only a couple of injuries away from slipping up in games you have been taking something from. Rovers roll from one game to another so we never know whats coming next, at least its interesting i guess but listen just lighten up and stop getting worked up at every comment, you should be enjoying the moment young man you have waited long enough. Finally you do get my username don't you or did you have to ask someone what it meant? Come on tell us all the truth its ok! George Oghani's Ironing Board
  • Score: -1

12:28pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Champagne plus charlie says...

George Oghani's Ironing Board wrote:
Champagne plus charlie wrote:
George Oghani's Ironing Board wrote:
Stone Cold Steve Austin has them fired up I will give you that, however Ings,Trippier and possibly Mee will be away next season no matter what league you are in! Enjoy it whilst it lasts as the wheels could come off at any second, workrate has got you were you are and your squad players either have not got that or the talent. And don't start quoting Wallace or Treacy as back up because you never know what your going to get of either of them
Workrate has got us where we are - really? Not skill, or individual brilliance or a formidable unbeaten home record, or the most prolific strike partnership in the country, or the best defence in the football league.

Another Blackburn fiddler with a massive chip on his shoulder about their bigger and better and much much higher in the table rivals.

Bless
I have actually given you lot credit this season as you deserve to be where you are fact, however also face the fact that you are only a couple of injuries away from slipping up in games you have been taking something from. Rovers roll from one game to another so we never know whats coming next, at least its interesting i guess but listen just lighten up and stop getting worked up at every comment, you should be enjoying the moment young man you have waited long enough. Finally you do get my username don't you or did you have to ask someone what it meant? Come on tell us all the truth its ok!
Oh yes I know all about Mr Oghani, I remember how we sacked him for breaking Chris Pearce's jaw in training and I was also present at Scarborough a year later when he scored two absolute crackers for them to beat us 4-2.

I do wonder though, as a self-confessed Rovers fan, why you would pick an ex Burnley player to have as a username? Is it to feed your obsession with your better neighbours from down the M65?

Also, of course we are only a couple of injuries away from having issues - look at Liverpool minus Suarez or City minus Negredo or Blackburn without Jordan Rhodes (Although to be fair you have been playing without Jordan Rhodes since Christmas!), all sides rely on certain talisman players and we are no different.
[quote][p][bold]George Oghani's Ironing Board[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Champagne plus charlie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]George Oghani's Ironing Board[/bold] wrote: Stone Cold Steve Austin has them fired up I will give you that, however Ings,Trippier and possibly Mee will be away next season no matter what league you are in! Enjoy it whilst it lasts as the wheels could come off at any second, workrate has got you were you are and your squad players either have not got that or the talent. And don't start quoting Wallace or Treacy as back up because you never know what your going to get of either of them[/p][/quote]Workrate has got us where we are - really? Not skill, or individual brilliance or a formidable unbeaten home record, or the most prolific strike partnership in the country, or the best defence in the football league. Another Blackburn fiddler with a massive chip on his shoulder about their bigger and better and much much higher in the table rivals. Bless[/p][/quote]I have actually given you lot credit this season as you deserve to be where you are fact, however also face the fact that you are only a couple of injuries away from slipping up in games you have been taking something from. Rovers roll from one game to another so we never know whats coming next, at least its interesting i guess but listen just lighten up and stop getting worked up at every comment, you should be enjoying the moment young man you have waited long enough. Finally you do get my username don't you or did you have to ask someone what it meant? Come on tell us all the truth its ok![/p][/quote]Oh yes I know all about Mr Oghani, I remember how we sacked him for breaking Chris Pearce's jaw in training and I was also present at Scarborough a year later when he scored two absolute crackers for them to beat us 4-2. I do wonder though, as a self-confessed Rovers fan, why you would pick an ex Burnley player to have as a username? Is it to feed your obsession with your better neighbours from down the M65? Also, of course we are only a couple of injuries away from having issues - look at Liverpool minus Suarez or City minus Negredo or Blackburn without Jordan Rhodes (Although to be fair you have been playing without Jordan Rhodes since Christmas!), all sides rely on certain talisman players and we are no different. Champagne plus charlie
  • Score: 1

12:59pm Wed 5 Feb 14

George Oghani's Ironing Board says...

Champagne plus charlie wrote:
George Oghani's Ironing Board wrote:
Champagne plus charlie wrote:
George Oghani's Ironing Board wrote:
Stone Cold Steve Austin has them fired up I will give you that, however Ings,Trippier and possibly Mee will be away next season no matter what league you are in! Enjoy it whilst it lasts as the wheels could come off at any second, workrate has got you were you are and your squad players either have not got that or the talent. And don't start quoting Wallace or Treacy as back up because you never know what your going to get of either of them
Workrate has got us where we are - really? Not skill, or individual brilliance or a formidable unbeaten home record, or the most prolific strike partnership in the country, or the best defence in the football league.

Another Blackburn fiddler with a massive chip on his shoulder about their bigger and better and much much higher in the table rivals.

Bless
I have actually given you lot credit this season as you deserve to be where you are fact, however also face the fact that you are only a couple of injuries away from slipping up in games you have been taking something from. Rovers roll from one game to another so we never know whats coming next, at least its interesting i guess but listen just lighten up and stop getting worked up at every comment, you should be enjoying the moment young man you have waited long enough. Finally you do get my username don't you or did you have to ask someone what it meant? Come on tell us all the truth its ok!
Oh yes I know all about Mr Oghani, I remember how we sacked him for breaking Chris Pearce's jaw in training and I was also present at Scarborough a year later when he scored two absolute crackers for them to beat us 4-2.

I do wonder though, as a self-confessed Rovers fan, why you would pick an ex Burnley player to have as a username? Is it to feed your obsession with your better neighbours from down the M65?

Also, of course we are only a couple of injuries away from having issues - look at Liverpool minus Suarez or City minus Negredo or Blackburn without Jordan Rhodes (Although to be fair you have been playing without Jordan Rhodes since Christmas!), all sides rely on certain talisman players and we are no different.
No it just tickled me thats all at the time and still does so i just went with it, i actually considered "Batty Chins Le Saux in the Champions League" but its probably a bit too long. Ahh the Champions League what memories, yes we did awful in it but we were there, you should try it some day. As for your injuries comment, see below.
1. Saurez out = Sturridge/Gerrard
2.Negredo out = Take your pick really
3. Rhodes out = Gestede/Cairney/Dunn

4. Vokes out = Ings
5. Ings out = Vokes
6. Both out = No goals
[quote][p][bold]Champagne plus charlie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]George Oghani's Ironing Board[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Champagne plus charlie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]George Oghani's Ironing Board[/bold] wrote: Stone Cold Steve Austin has them fired up I will give you that, however Ings,Trippier and possibly Mee will be away next season no matter what league you are in! Enjoy it whilst it lasts as the wheels could come off at any second, workrate has got you were you are and your squad players either have not got that or the talent. And don't start quoting Wallace or Treacy as back up because you never know what your going to get of either of them[/p][/quote]Workrate has got us where we are - really? Not skill, or individual brilliance or a formidable unbeaten home record, or the most prolific strike partnership in the country, or the best defence in the football league. Another Blackburn fiddler with a massive chip on his shoulder about their bigger and better and much much higher in the table rivals. Bless[/p][/quote]I have actually given you lot credit this season as you deserve to be where you are fact, however also face the fact that you are only a couple of injuries away from slipping up in games you have been taking something from. Rovers roll from one game to another so we never know whats coming next, at least its interesting i guess but listen just lighten up and stop getting worked up at every comment, you should be enjoying the moment young man you have waited long enough. Finally you do get my username don't you or did you have to ask someone what it meant? Come on tell us all the truth its ok![/p][/quote]Oh yes I know all about Mr Oghani, I remember how we sacked him for breaking Chris Pearce's jaw in training and I was also present at Scarborough a year later when he scored two absolute crackers for them to beat us 4-2. I do wonder though, as a self-confessed Rovers fan, why you would pick an ex Burnley player to have as a username? Is it to feed your obsession with your better neighbours from down the M65? Also, of course we are only a couple of injuries away from having issues - look at Liverpool minus Suarez or City minus Negredo or Blackburn without Jordan Rhodes (Although to be fair you have been playing without Jordan Rhodes since Christmas!), all sides rely on certain talisman players and we are no different.[/p][/quote]No it just tickled me thats all at the time and still does so i just went with it, i actually considered "Batty Chins Le Saux in the Champions League" but its probably a bit too long. Ahh the Champions League what memories, yes we did awful in it but we were there, you should try it some day. As for your injuries comment, see below. 1. Saurez out = Sturridge/Gerrard 2.Negredo out = Take your pick really 3. Rhodes out = Gestede/Cairney/Dunn 4. Vokes out = Ings 5. Ings out = Vokes 6. Both out = No goals George Oghani's Ironing Board
  • Score: -4

2:04pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Champagne plus charlie says...

George Oghani's Ironing Board wrote:
Champagne plus charlie wrote:
George Oghani's Ironing Board wrote:
Champagne plus charlie wrote:
George Oghani's Ironing Board wrote:
Stone Cold Steve Austin has them fired up I will give you that, however Ings,Trippier and possibly Mee will be away next season no matter what league you are in! Enjoy it whilst it lasts as the wheels could come off at any second, workrate has got you were you are and your squad players either have not got that or the talent. And don't start quoting Wallace or Treacy as back up because you never know what your going to get of either of them
Workrate has got us where we are - really? Not skill, or individual brilliance or a formidable unbeaten home record, or the most prolific strike partnership in the country, or the best defence in the football league.

Another Blackburn fiddler with a massive chip on his shoulder about their bigger and better and much much higher in the table rivals.

Bless
I have actually given you lot credit this season as you deserve to be where you are fact, however also face the fact that you are only a couple of injuries away from slipping up in games you have been taking something from. Rovers roll from one game to another so we never know whats coming next, at least its interesting i guess but listen just lighten up and stop getting worked up at every comment, you should be enjoying the moment young man you have waited long enough. Finally you do get my username don't you or did you have to ask someone what it meant? Come on tell us all the truth its ok!
Oh yes I know all about Mr Oghani, I remember how we sacked him for breaking Chris Pearce's jaw in training and I was also present at Scarborough a year later when he scored two absolute crackers for them to beat us 4-2.

I do wonder though, as a self-confessed Rovers fan, why you would pick an ex Burnley player to have as a username? Is it to feed your obsession with your better neighbours from down the M65?

Also, of course we are only a couple of injuries away from having issues - look at Liverpool minus Suarez or City minus Negredo or Blackburn without Jordan Rhodes (Although to be fair you have been playing without Jordan Rhodes since Christmas!), all sides rely on certain talisman players and we are no different.
No it just tickled me thats all at the time and still does so i just went with it, i actually considered "Batty Chins Le Saux in the Champions League" but its probably a bit too long. Ahh the Champions League what memories, yes we did awful in it but we were there, you should try it some day. As for your injuries comment, see below.
1. Saurez out = Sturridge/Gerrard
2.Negredo out = Take your pick really
3. Rhodes out = Gestede/Cairney/Dunn


4. Vokes out = Ings
5. Ings out = Vokes
6. Both out = No goals
lol re: the Le Saux/Batty comment, definitely my favourite Champions League highlight ;-)

I have to love your optimism about Rhodes' potential replacements - you have picked players who have got: 4 goals, 2 goals and 2 goals as replacements for your 18 goal striker - a tad hopeful perhaps?

If either ings or Vokes were injured we could definitely replace them with Ashley Barnes, a proven Championship striker, and an extremely good option to have on the bench at this level.
[quote][p][bold]George Oghani's Ironing Board[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Champagne plus charlie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]George Oghani's Ironing Board[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Champagne plus charlie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]George Oghani's Ironing Board[/bold] wrote: Stone Cold Steve Austin has them fired up I will give you that, however Ings,Trippier and possibly Mee will be away next season no matter what league you are in! Enjoy it whilst it lasts as the wheels could come off at any second, workrate has got you were you are and your squad players either have not got that or the talent. And don't start quoting Wallace or Treacy as back up because you never know what your going to get of either of them[/p][/quote]Workrate has got us where we are - really? Not skill, or individual brilliance or a formidable unbeaten home record, or the most prolific strike partnership in the country, or the best defence in the football league. Another Blackburn fiddler with a massive chip on his shoulder about their bigger and better and much much higher in the table rivals. Bless[/p][/quote]I have actually given you lot credit this season as you deserve to be where you are fact, however also face the fact that you are only a couple of injuries away from slipping up in games you have been taking something from. Rovers roll from one game to another so we never know whats coming next, at least its interesting i guess but listen just lighten up and stop getting worked up at every comment, you should be enjoying the moment young man you have waited long enough. Finally you do get my username don't you or did you have to ask someone what it meant? Come on tell us all the truth its ok![/p][/quote]Oh yes I know all about Mr Oghani, I remember how we sacked him for breaking Chris Pearce's jaw in training and I was also present at Scarborough a year later when he scored two absolute crackers for them to beat us 4-2. I do wonder though, as a self-confessed Rovers fan, why you would pick an ex Burnley player to have as a username? Is it to feed your obsession with your better neighbours from down the M65? Also, of course we are only a couple of injuries away from having issues - look at Liverpool minus Suarez or City minus Negredo or Blackburn without Jordan Rhodes (Although to be fair you have been playing without Jordan Rhodes since Christmas!), all sides rely on certain talisman players and we are no different.[/p][/quote]No it just tickled me thats all at the time and still does so i just went with it, i actually considered "Batty Chins Le Saux in the Champions League" but its probably a bit too long. Ahh the Champions League what memories, yes we did awful in it but we were there, you should try it some day. As for your injuries comment, see below. 1. Saurez out = Sturridge/Gerrard 2.Negredo out = Take your pick really 3. Rhodes out = Gestede/Cairney/Dunn 4. Vokes out = Ings 5. Ings out = Vokes 6. Both out = No goals[/p][/quote]lol re: the Le Saux/Batty comment, definitely my favourite Champions League highlight ;-) I have to love your optimism about Rhodes' potential replacements - you have picked players who have got: 4 goals, 2 goals and 2 goals as replacements for your 18 goal striker - a tad hopeful perhaps? If either ings or Vokes were injured we could definitely replace them with Ashley Barnes, a proven Championship striker, and an extremely good option to have on the bench at this level. Champagne plus charlie
  • Score: 1

3:52pm Wed 5 Feb 14

chicken.pluckers says...

The Le Saux/Batty slap-boxing incident will live long in the memory.

Truly a Champions League highlight for Blackburn Rovers.

I guess thinking back to those days that most Blackburn Rovers fans would never have imagined their club could ever disgrace itself any more than at that specific point. How wrong they were.
The Le Saux/Batty slap-boxing incident will live long in the memory. Truly a Champions League highlight for Blackburn Rovers. I guess thinking back to those days that most Blackburn Rovers fans would never have imagined their club could ever disgrace itself any more than at that specific point. How wrong they were. chicken.pluckers
  • Score: 1

4:39pm Wed 5 Feb 14

George Oghani's Ironing Board says...

True! Very True Plucker
True! Very True Plucker George Oghani's Ironing Board
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree