Former Burnley star Mellon given chance at Barnsley
10:16am Friday 13th December 2013 in Sport
FORMER Burnley midfielder Micky Mellon has been told he will be given time to prove himself in charge of Barnsley.
Mellon has been in temporary charge since the club sacked David Flitcroft and led the Tykes to a win at Brighton in his first game before they were beaten 1-0 at Turf Moor last weekend.
Tykes chief executive Ben Mansford said: “Our plan was always to allow Micky to be his own man.
“He’s earned the right to do that and that’s where we currently sit. I’m absolutely delighted that Micky prepared the team sufficiently well enough with real expertise and experience to make sure we got a very, very good away win at Brighton.
“Last year there was a very public process that occurred around who was and wasn’t going to be the next Barnsley manager. That bred, at times, a bit of uncertainty. We want to do our business in private, in football terms it is the best way to do it.
“As and when there is clarity as to where we are going and what’s going to happen, we’ll let the fans know.”
Comments are closed on this article.