THE DAILY SPORTS DEBATE: Are managers sacked too soon?

This Is Lancashire: Sir Alex Ferguson reaped the rewards after being given time Sir Alex Ferguson reaped the rewards after being given time

Seven managers have been sacked in the last eight days as club chairmen get tough and make a change.

Some of these sackings seem to be as a direct result of protests from the fans, others are more understandable because the man in the dugout has been getting results that are on the shocking side of rather poor.

But do managers deserve more time?

The most successful boss off perhaps all time, Sir Alex Ferguson, was given a break early in his Manchester United career...and he didn’t fare too badly at the theatre of dreams.

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:20am Wed 4 Dec 13

PatrickBateman2 says...

I prefer managers be sacked too soon than too late.
I prefer managers be sacked too soon than too late. PatrickBateman2

7:50am Wed 4 Dec 13

cruzy_cruz says...

What an insipid article. Was it written by a schoolboy? It must have been given the hackneyed use of Ferguson as an example.

Just to play along...............
..Bowyer Next??
What an insipid article. Was it written by a schoolboy? It must have been given the hackneyed use of Ferguson as an example. Just to play along............... ..Bowyer Next?? cruzy_cruz

8:17am Wed 4 Dec 13

A Darener says...

It's not managers that need sacking, in most cases it is owners that should clear off.
It's not managers that need sacking, in most cases it is owners that should clear off. A Darener

8:44am Wed 4 Dec 13

SteppBladder says...

Are managers sacked too soon? In the case of Steve Kean, no, I don't think so
Are managers sacked too soon? In the case of Steve Kean, no, I don't think so SteppBladder

9:08am Wed 4 Dec 13

eddyo says...

Because so many managers are gutless, negative and unimaginative. Football is about winning or at least giving it a good crack.
Because so many managers are gutless, negative and unimaginative. Football is about winning or at least giving it a good crack. eddyo

10:03am Wed 4 Dec 13

owd nick says...

Yes.

And the main problem is fans whose expectations far exceed their club's capability to attain them.
Yes. And the main problem is fans whose expectations far exceed their club's capability to attain them. owd nick

10:06am Wed 4 Dec 13

ChrisDeBerg says...

If the manager is showing potential then he should be given time... The longer a manager stays at a club, the more he generally gains respect of the dressing room. If a player has been at a club longer than a manager he may think he knows better.. As he mentions in the article, fergie started off badly but got better with time, by the time he left not a single football player in the world would have been able to step out of line in his dressing room or on the pitch... This is the sort of command a manager should have over a team and can only come with time!
If the manager is showing potential then he should be given time... The longer a manager stays at a club, the more he generally gains respect of the dressing room. If a player has been at a club longer than a manager he may think he knows better.. As he mentions in the article, fergie started off badly but got better with time, by the time he left not a single football player in the world would have been able to step out of line in his dressing room or on the pitch... This is the sort of command a manager should have over a team and can only come with time! ChrisDeBerg

10:13am Wed 4 Dec 13

cruzy_cruz says...

owd nick wrote:
Yes. And the main problem is fans whose expectations far exceed their club's capability to attain them.
So Fulham shouldn't hope to survive? You are a baffling individual
[quote][p][bold]owd nick[/bold] wrote: Yes. And the main problem is fans whose expectations far exceed their club's capability to attain them.[/p][/quote]So Fulham shouldn't hope to survive? You are a baffling individual cruzy_cruz

10:37am Wed 4 Dec 13

McClaret says...

One thing is for certain, it is not for the local paper to call for a managers head. A paper is there to report, not to lose people their jobs, irrespective of fans opinions.
All managers know that they only have so long, very fickle business. Look at Notts County.
One thing is for certain, it is not for the local paper to call for a managers head. A paper is there to report, not to lose people their jobs, irrespective of fans opinions. All managers know that they only have so long, very fickle business. Look at Notts County. McClaret

12:53pm Wed 4 Dec 13

dixie.normous says...

Yes managers should be given more time but they are quick enough to leave for another club when the moneys right .... remember we would still have Hughes or even Souness before... The media always talk about Ferguson and Wenger and how they had been given time but, they are big clubs so they will never be poached .. I would love to see a table showing mangers who have changed clubs for more Wonga as well as the reports for being sacked...... I'm sure it would paint a different story.
Yes managers should be given more time but they are quick enough to leave for another club when the moneys right .... remember we would still have Hughes or even Souness before... The media always talk about Ferguson and Wenger and how they had been given time but, they are big clubs so they will never be poached .. I would love to see a table showing mangers who have changed clubs for more Wonga as well as the reports for being sacked...... I'm sure it would paint a different story. dixie.normous

1:33pm Wed 4 Dec 13

leyton says...

do you thin k they bother lol pocket £1million plus and they know that the friends network will give then another job easy stuff .Just look at beckhams and morinihos kids on the books at Fulham and they wonder why the england team is crap.
do you thin k they bother lol pocket £1million plus and they know that the friends network will give then another job easy stuff .Just look at beckhams and morinihos kids on the books at Fulham and they wonder why the england team is crap. leyton

1:46pm Wed 4 Dec 13

mammamiauk says...

SteppBladder wrote:
Are managers sacked too soon? In the case of Steve Kean, no, I don't think so
I whole-heartedly agree where the sacking of Steve Kean is concerned. As for Gary Bowyer, I very sincerely hope that he will do well at Rovers as he has been with the club for a long time and one who knows the club inside out and genuinely loves the club. What has been important since Gary took over is that it has restored the stability in the dressing room and the players have the most utmost respect for him. Gary may not be as well established as many other Managers whom we hear about but one has to start somewhere somehow. Gary, you have my full support and I wish you all the very best as your job is an extremely difficult one!
[quote][p][bold]SteppBladder[/bold] wrote: Are managers sacked too soon? In the case of Steve Kean, no, I don't think so[/p][/quote]I whole-heartedly agree where the sacking of Steve Kean is concerned. As for Gary Bowyer, I very sincerely hope that he will do well at Rovers as he has been with the club for a long time and one who knows the club inside out and genuinely loves the club. What has been important since Gary took over is that it has restored the stability in the dressing room and the players have the most utmost respect for him. Gary may not be as well established as many other Managers whom we hear about but one has to start somewhere somehow. Gary, you have my full support and I wish you all the very best as your job is an extremely difficult one! mammamiauk

2:53pm Wed 4 Dec 13

fabinribblevalley says...

Take a look at who chants the obscenities, brain dead morons who should not be allowed into what some call family entertainment. I would not take my children to any football match even if I were given free tickets. I have been watching football for decades and seen the game deteriorate to what you see now. Perhaps the press and media have a lot to answer too going back to when Graham Taylor was England manager the abuse he and his family received was totally unacceptable and criminal charges should have been brought against the papers. Reference to the Venky's the owners of my beloved team, why would they now want to do the best for our team after all the abuse, also Keane who I thought was out of his depth, no matter how bad of job he did he did not deserve the personal insults directed at him, it does not help the team having to listen to that during a game. Going to Wigan on Sunday they have started down the same road, destroying our proud name of being the friendly county, disgusting chanting directed at a good religious man whose family were there watching. My final rant, Whelan should be ashamed of himself for not giving him more time but more than that making a statement that it was a mutual decision he left but later saying the reason he SACKED him was because he disagreed with his decisions. To publicly come out with that after the event is very cowardly knowing that an out going manager cannot retaliate for fear of jeopardizing future appointments.
Take a look at who chants the obscenities, brain dead morons who should not be allowed into what some call family entertainment. I would not take my children to any football match even if I were given free tickets. I have been watching football for decades and seen the game deteriorate to what you see now. Perhaps the press and media have a lot to answer too going back to when Graham Taylor was England manager the abuse he and his family received was totally unacceptable and criminal charges should have been brought against the papers. Reference to the Venky's the owners of my beloved team, why would they now want to do the best for our team after all the abuse, also Keane who I thought was out of his depth, no matter how bad of job he did he did not deserve the personal insults directed at him, it does not help the team having to listen to that during a game. Going to Wigan on Sunday they have started down the same road, destroying our proud name of being the friendly county, disgusting chanting directed at a good religious man whose family were there watching. My final rant, Whelan should be ashamed of himself for not giving him more time but more than that making a statement that it was a mutual decision he left but later saying the reason he SACKED him was because he disagreed with his decisions. To publicly come out with that after the event is very cowardly knowing that an out going manager cannot retaliate for fear of jeopardizing future appointments. fabinribblevalley

2:56pm Wed 4 Dec 13

VeniVidiVici says...

In regards to a criminally poor and lazy article:

First of all your asking for a specific answer to a very generalized question.

There's many variables involved in what makes a football club work, and scapegoating a manager isn't the be all and end all of it.

Instead, if you want to look at how a football club can improve (which is what the question is really asking, eg; is removing a person integrally linked with providing a club with success the right choice) then you need to look at the infrastructure as a whole and not quickly specify on one member of that structure system.

From the point of view of Blackburn in particular then no, I don't think Boywer should be sacked. His credentials are solid, his experience is not, and that can only be gathered through time.

But what the man does have is a great deal of knowledge about the club (having been here for the best part of ten years) and therefore of a time when it was ran correctly. Which is what is needed.

As far as the rest of the infrastructure goes then you need only to look at one team in particular for reference, that being Feyenoord of Rotterdam.

This is a club that has been in a very similar position as the one Blackburn are in now. Although never being relegated, they did have marginal success at the turn of the 00's, only to be hit by mismanagement and a debt crisis.

However, through the exit of those that created the mess, and the installation of solid and careful planning (infrastructure) the club is now back on track, having only six years ago been threatened with administration.

How was that done then? Not through a wealthy tycoon claiming the role of savoir (which is almost the stereotype for clubs in crisis) but by offloading those deemed surplus to requirements and bringing the club back to it's bare essentials.

Feyenoord now has one of the most coveted academy's in Europe, not through careful development when the times were good, but by necessity of cost effective ways of gaining players when things went pair shaped and no other option was viable.

Fast forward from their own struggles of the past decade and the likes of Clasie, Martins Indi and Trindade de Vilhena to name a few, are all on the lists of the mega rich giants such as Inter, Man City and Real, and more importantly are all fledglings of that nurtured academy.

Not only Feyenoord, but the emergence of Germany as a leading example of this is even more evident. An all German Champions League Final, and a national team that is fast becoming a golden generation all points to one key ingredient in the success of any club (or league) which is.... dun dun dun... INFRASTRUCTURE!! Who would have guessed.

And it is on those points that I see Bowyer as the right man for the job.

The man has been working in the background of Rovers with the youth squads with quite some success. Therefore he has an excellent understanding of the academy and what it is capable of now, and in the future under the right approach.

Again, the only thing Boywer doesn't have is key first team management experience, but that is a very very small part of the traits that make up a manager.

The comparisons between him and Ronald Koeman (Feyenoord) are there. For a start his ability to bring in cheap effective players (on loan or not) is just one of many likenesses.

If this club is to continue to improve ( and there's no doubting it has in comparison to two years ago) then we need people like Boywer, but we also need a realistic and forward thinking setup, one he should be a part of, and one the club will hopefully realise if things remain as they are.
In regards to a criminally poor and lazy article: First of all your asking for a specific answer to a very generalized question. There's many variables involved in what makes a football club work, and scapegoating a manager isn't the be all and end all of it. Instead, if you want to look at how a football club can improve (which is what the question is really asking, eg; is removing a person integrally linked with providing a club with success the right choice) then you need to look at the infrastructure as a whole and not quickly specify on one member of that structure system. From the point of view of Blackburn in particular then no, I don't think Boywer should be sacked. His credentials are solid, his experience is not, and that can only be gathered through time. But what the man does have is a great deal of knowledge about the club (having been here for the best part of ten years) and therefore of a time when it was ran correctly. Which is what is needed. As far as the rest of the infrastructure goes then you need only to look at one team in particular for reference, that being Feyenoord of Rotterdam. This is a club that has been in a very similar position as the one Blackburn are in now. Although never being relegated, they did have marginal success at the turn of the 00's, only to be hit by mismanagement and a debt crisis. However, through the exit of those that created the mess, and the installation of solid and careful planning (infrastructure) the club is now back on track, having only six years ago been threatened with administration. How was that done then? Not through a wealthy tycoon claiming the role of savoir (which is almost the stereotype for clubs in crisis) but by offloading those deemed surplus to requirements and bringing the club back to it's bare essentials. Feyenoord now has one of the most coveted academy's in Europe, not through careful development when the times were good, but by necessity of cost effective ways of gaining players when things went pair shaped and no other option was viable. Fast forward from their own struggles of the past decade and the likes of Clasie, Martins Indi and Trindade de Vilhena to name a few, are all on the lists of the mega rich giants such as Inter, Man City and Real, and more importantly are all fledglings of that nurtured academy. Not only Feyenoord, but the emergence of Germany as a leading example of this is even more evident. An all German Champions League Final, and a national team that is fast becoming a golden generation all points to one key ingredient in the success of any club (or league) which is.... dun dun dun... INFRASTRUCTURE!! Who would have guessed. And it is on those points that I see Bowyer as the right man for the job. The man has been working in the background of Rovers with the youth squads with quite some success. Therefore he has an excellent understanding of the academy and what it is capable of now, and in the future under the right approach. Again, the only thing Boywer doesn't have is key first team management experience, but that is a very very small part of the traits that make up a manager. The comparisons between him and Ronald Koeman (Feyenoord) are there. For a start his ability to bring in cheap effective players (on loan or not) is just one of many likenesses. If this club is to continue to improve ( and there's no doubting it has in comparison to two years ago) then we need people like Boywer, but we also need a realistic and forward thinking setup, one he should be a part of, and one the club will hopefully realise if things remain as they are. VeniVidiVici

3:08pm Wed 4 Dec 13

A Darener says...

Unfortunately everybody knows the answer to the Rovers problems. The disappearance of the Venky's. But that is not going to happen in the immediate future. All we can wish for in the short term is that they continue to invest as much as they can in the club. That they keep undesirables as far away as they can. That they try and reconstruct the back room components to the way they were before they arrived. I.e a well structured and well run management plan.
Football management must be left to GB and his staff. Constant change is no way to run a football team. He may be inexperienced but he does know the club inside out and can bring on the younger generation of potentially good players. I am sure the fans are resigned to yet another season in the Championship next year, but they seem to be going in the right direction even with the occasional setback.
Unfortunately everybody knows the answer to the Rovers problems. The disappearance of the Venky's. But that is not going to happen in the immediate future. All we can wish for in the short term is that they continue to invest as much as they can in the club. That they keep undesirables as far away as they can. That they try and reconstruct the back room components to the way they were before they arrived. I.e a well structured and well run management plan. Football management must be left to GB and his staff. Constant change is no way to run a football team. He may be inexperienced but he does know the club inside out and can bring on the younger generation of potentially good players. I am sure the fans are resigned to yet another season in the Championship next year, but they seem to be going in the right direction even with the occasional setback. A Darener

4:05pm Wed 4 Dec 13

CARover says...

mammamiauk wrote:
SteppBladder wrote:
Are managers sacked too soon? In the case of Steve Kean, no, I don't think so
I whole-heartedly agree where the sacking of Steve Kean is concerned. As for Gary Bowyer, I very sincerely hope that he will do well at Rovers as he has been with the club for a long time and one who knows the club inside out and genuinely loves the club. What has been important since Gary took over is that it has restored the stability in the dressing room and the players have the most utmost respect for him. Gary may not be as well established as many other Managers whom we hear about but one has to start somewhere somehow. Gary, you have my full support and I wish you all the very best as your job is an extremely difficult one!
Yes he has stabilized a very mediocre team who will continue to struggle….so is your point to keep mediocrity as a priority over winning and keep your nice guy theme going?
[quote][p][bold]mammamiauk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SteppBladder[/bold] wrote: Are managers sacked too soon? In the case of Steve Kean, no, I don't think so[/p][/quote]I whole-heartedly agree where the sacking of Steve Kean is concerned. As for Gary Bowyer, I very sincerely hope that he will do well at Rovers as he has been with the club for a long time and one who knows the club inside out and genuinely loves the club. What has been important since Gary took over is that it has restored the stability in the dressing room and the players have the most utmost respect for him. Gary may not be as well established as many other Managers whom we hear about but one has to start somewhere somehow. Gary, you have my full support and I wish you all the very best as your job is an extremely difficult one![/p][/quote]Yes he has stabilized a very mediocre team who will continue to struggle….so is your point to keep mediocrity as a priority over winning and keep your nice guy theme going? CARover

5:00pm Wed 4 Dec 13

owd nick says...

cruzy_cruz wrote:
owd nick wrote:
Yes. And the main problem is fans whose expectations far exceed their club's capability to attain them.
So Fulham shouldn't hope to survive? You are a baffling individual
I didn't say that.

You only need to read the posts on here or the reports in the media, listen to 606 on a Saturday evening to get a feel for what I mean.

Last season Arsenal fan after Arsenal fan were lining up on 606 wanting Wenger sacked, thankfully his board and the owners stuck by him and look at them now, one of the few PL teams I would pay to watch as a neutral.

The fans of every club want their team to win every game, I do, but realistically that isn't going to happen and when it doesn't the manager is the obvious target.
[quote][p][bold]cruzy_cruz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]owd nick[/bold] wrote: Yes. And the main problem is fans whose expectations far exceed their club's capability to attain them.[/p][/quote]So Fulham shouldn't hope to survive? You are a baffling individual[/p][/quote]I didn't say that. You only need to read the posts on here or the reports in the media, listen to 606 on a Saturday evening to get a feel for what I mean. Last season Arsenal fan after Arsenal fan were lining up on 606 wanting Wenger sacked, thankfully his board and the owners stuck by him and look at them now, one of the few PL teams I would pay to watch as a neutral. The fans of every club want their team to win every game, I do, but realistically that isn't going to happen and when it doesn't the manager is the obvious target. owd nick

5:09pm Wed 4 Dec 13

greenscreener says...

CARover wrote:
mammamiauk wrote:
SteppBladder wrote:
Are managers sacked too soon? In the case of Steve Kean, no, I don't think so
I whole-heartedly agree where the sacking of Steve Kean is concerned. As for Gary Bowyer, I very sincerely hope that he will do well at Rovers as he has been with the club for a long time and one who knows the club inside out and genuinely loves the club. What has been important since Gary took over is that it has restored the stability in the dressing room and the players have the most utmost respect for him. Gary may not be as well established as many other Managers whom we hear about but one has to start somewhere somehow. Gary, you have my full support and I wish you all the very best as your job is an extremely difficult one!
Yes he has stabilized a very mediocre team who will continue to struggle….so is your point to keep mediocrity as a priority over winning and keep your nice guy theme going?
What a naïve response, GB has not just stabilised the team he has brought stability across many aspects of a club that was in complete chaos all over the place, and he's done it in a few months.
The Winning formula doesn't happen overnight, you have to work hard at it, you cannot keep sacking managers and rotating squads and just expect to get it right eventually.
It was like watching somebody spending their dole on scratch cards last season.
[quote][p][bold]CARover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mammamiauk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SteppBladder[/bold] wrote: Are managers sacked too soon? In the case of Steve Kean, no, I don't think so[/p][/quote]I whole-heartedly agree where the sacking of Steve Kean is concerned. As for Gary Bowyer, I very sincerely hope that he will do well at Rovers as he has been with the club for a long time and one who knows the club inside out and genuinely loves the club. What has been important since Gary took over is that it has restored the stability in the dressing room and the players have the most utmost respect for him. Gary may not be as well established as many other Managers whom we hear about but one has to start somewhere somehow. Gary, you have my full support and I wish you all the very best as your job is an extremely difficult one![/p][/quote]Yes he has stabilized a very mediocre team who will continue to struggle….so is your point to keep mediocrity as a priority over winning and keep your nice guy theme going?[/p][/quote]What a naïve response, GB has not just stabilised the team he has brought stability across many aspects of a club that was in complete chaos all over the place, and he's done it in a few months. The Winning formula doesn't happen overnight, you have to work hard at it, you cannot keep sacking managers and rotating squads and just expect to get it right eventually. It was like watching somebody spending their dole on scratch cards last season. greenscreener

5:15pm Wed 4 Dec 13

ghost of sceptic says...

Does anyone think Gary Bowyer would be managing Rovers if Venkys were not in charge. I dont.
Does anyone think Gary Bowyer would be managing Rovers if Venkys were not in charge. I dont. ghost of sceptic

6:54pm Wed 4 Dec 13

Angry From Accrington says...

fabinribblevalley wrote:
Take a look at who chants the obscenities, brain dead morons who should not be allowed into what some call family entertainment. I would not take my children to any football match even if I were given free tickets. I have been watching football for decades and seen the game deteriorate to what you see now. Perhaps the press and media have a lot to answer too going back to when Graham Taylor was England manager the abuse he and his family received was totally unacceptable and criminal charges should have been brought against the papers. Reference to the Venky's the owners of my beloved team, why would they now want to do the best for our team after all the abuse, also Keane who I thought was out of his depth, no matter how bad of job he did he did not deserve the personal insults directed at him, it does not help the team having to listen to that during a game. Going to Wigan on Sunday they have started down the same road, destroying our proud name of being the friendly county, disgusting chanting directed at a good religious man whose family were there watching. My final rant, Whelan should be ashamed of himself for not giving him more time but more than that making a statement that it was a mutual decision he left but later saying the reason he SACKED him was because he disagreed with his decisions. To publicly come out with that after the event is very cowardly knowing that an out going manager cannot retaliate for fear of jeopardizing future appointments.
A refreshingly sensible post. You really should contribute more frequently to balance the content from the boneheaded, knuckledragging majority on here.
[quote][p][bold]fabinribblevalley[/bold] wrote: Take a look at who chants the obscenities, brain dead morons who should not be allowed into what some call family entertainment. I would not take my children to any football match even if I were given free tickets. I have been watching football for decades and seen the game deteriorate to what you see now. Perhaps the press and media have a lot to answer too going back to when Graham Taylor was England manager the abuse he and his family received was totally unacceptable and criminal charges should have been brought against the papers. Reference to the Venky's the owners of my beloved team, why would they now want to do the best for our team after all the abuse, also Keane who I thought was out of his depth, no matter how bad of job he did he did not deserve the personal insults directed at him, it does not help the team having to listen to that during a game. Going to Wigan on Sunday they have started down the same road, destroying our proud name of being the friendly county, disgusting chanting directed at a good religious man whose family were there watching. My final rant, Whelan should be ashamed of himself for not giving him more time but more than that making a statement that it was a mutual decision he left but later saying the reason he SACKED him was because he disagreed with his decisions. To publicly come out with that after the event is very cowardly knowing that an out going manager cannot retaliate for fear of jeopardizing future appointments.[/p][/quote]A refreshingly sensible post. You really should contribute more frequently to balance the content from the boneheaded, knuckledragging majority on here. Angry From Accrington

6:56pm Wed 4 Dec 13

Angry From Accrington says...

A Darener wrote:
Unfortunately everybody knows the answer to the Rovers problems. The disappearance of the Venky's. But that is not going to happen in the immediate future. All we can wish for in the short term is that they continue to invest as much as they can in the club. That they keep undesirables as far away as they can. That they try and reconstruct the back room components to the way they were before they arrived. I.e a well structured and well run management plan.
Football management must be left to GB and his staff. Constant change is no way to run a football team. He may be inexperienced but he does know the club inside out and can bring on the younger generation of potentially good players. I am sure the fans are resigned to yet another season in the Championship next year, but they seem to be going in the right direction even with the occasional setback.
The fans may be resigned to this. What about you?
[quote][p][bold]A Darener[/bold] wrote: Unfortunately everybody knows the answer to the Rovers problems. The disappearance of the Venky's. But that is not going to happen in the immediate future. All we can wish for in the short term is that they continue to invest as much as they can in the club. That they keep undesirables as far away as they can. That they try and reconstruct the back room components to the way they were before they arrived. I.e a well structured and well run management plan. Football management must be left to GB and his staff. Constant change is no way to run a football team. He may be inexperienced but he does know the club inside out and can bring on the younger generation of potentially good players. I am sure the fans are resigned to yet another season in the Championship next year, but they seem to be going in the right direction even with the occasional setback.[/p][/quote]The fans may be resigned to this. What about you? Angry From Accrington

9:01pm Wed 4 Dec 13

A Darener says...

I have made my position perfectly clear at all times. I will not support the Venky's in their endless pursuit of the destruction of the club. I am resigned to the fact that I cannot see me returning anytime soon. I am not putting any of my hard earned money into their pockets. I just feel that they will inevitable leave. What will be left of the club I have supported for over fifty odd years I do not know. But I am sure there will be something left to watch when they do go.
Many of you say I cannot be a fan or supporter if I don't attend. So be it. I know in my mind I am. I care a great deal about the club, otherwise I would not continue to be harangued by all an sundry on these pages. It does hurt not to go but I cannot in all conscious go back on my decision to boycott. By the look of the gates this season even after the ridiculous bribery offer of a cheap season ticket "next season in the PL" I am not alone. Not too many people were taken in by the silliest offer ever.
I have made my position perfectly clear at all times. I will not support the Venky's in their endless pursuit of the destruction of the club. I am resigned to the fact that I cannot see me returning anytime soon. I am not putting any of my hard earned money into their pockets. I just feel that they will inevitable leave. What will be left of the club I have supported for over fifty odd years I do not know. But I am sure there will be something left to watch when they do go. Many of you say I cannot be a fan or supporter if I don't attend. So be it. I know in my mind I am. I care a great deal about the club, otherwise I would not continue to be harangued by all an sundry on these pages. It does hurt not to go but I cannot in all conscious go back on my decision to boycott. By the look of the gates this season even after the ridiculous bribery offer of a cheap season ticket "next season in the PL" I am not alone. Not too many people were taken in by the silliest offer ever. A Darener

10:36pm Wed 4 Dec 13

owd nick says...

Angry From Accrington wrote:
fabinribblevalley wrote:
Take a look at who chants the obscenities, brain dead morons who should not be allowed into what some call family entertainment. I would not take my children to any football match even if I were given free tickets. I have been watching football for decades and seen the game deteriorate to what you see now. Perhaps the press and media have a lot to answer too going back to when Graham Taylor was England manager the abuse he and his family received was totally unacceptable and criminal charges should have been brought against the papers. Reference to the Venky's the owners of my beloved team, why would they now want to do the best for our team after all the abuse, also Keane who I thought was out of his depth, no matter how bad of job he did he did not deserve the personal insults directed at him, it does not help the team having to listen to that during a game. Going to Wigan on Sunday they have started down the same road, destroying our proud name of being the friendly county, disgusting chanting directed at a good religious man whose family were there watching. My final rant, Whelan should be ashamed of himself for not giving him more time but more than that making a statement that it was a mutual decision he left but later saying the reason he SACKED him was because he disagreed with his decisions. To publicly come out with that after the event is very cowardly knowing that an out going manager cannot retaliate for fear of jeopardizing future appointments.
A refreshingly sensible post. You really should contribute more frequently to balance the content from the boneheaded, knuckledragging majority on here.
Totally agree Angry.

There has been a disturbing story running this week on 5 Live, regarding abuse from spectators, over 900 referee's being attacked, some hospitalised, some of these in their teens.

Where? In this country at games from under 9 years old to 14 years old.

And if Whelan has sacked him for "disagreeing with his decisions", well, he has just lost all my respect, because if a manager isn't allowed to have an opinion that simply isn't acceptable.
[quote][p][bold]Angry From Accrington[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fabinribblevalley[/bold] wrote: Take a look at who chants the obscenities, brain dead morons who should not be allowed into what some call family entertainment. I would not take my children to any football match even if I were given free tickets. I have been watching football for decades and seen the game deteriorate to what you see now. Perhaps the press and media have a lot to answer too going back to when Graham Taylor was England manager the abuse he and his family received was totally unacceptable and criminal charges should have been brought against the papers. Reference to the Venky's the owners of my beloved team, why would they now want to do the best for our team after all the abuse, also Keane who I thought was out of his depth, no matter how bad of job he did he did not deserve the personal insults directed at him, it does not help the team having to listen to that during a game. Going to Wigan on Sunday they have started down the same road, destroying our proud name of being the friendly county, disgusting chanting directed at a good religious man whose family were there watching. My final rant, Whelan should be ashamed of himself for not giving him more time but more than that making a statement that it was a mutual decision he left but later saying the reason he SACKED him was because he disagreed with his decisions. To publicly come out with that after the event is very cowardly knowing that an out going manager cannot retaliate for fear of jeopardizing future appointments.[/p][/quote]A refreshingly sensible post. You really should contribute more frequently to balance the content from the boneheaded, knuckledragging majority on here.[/p][/quote]Totally agree Angry. There has been a disturbing story running this week on 5 Live, regarding abuse from spectators, over 900 referee's being attacked, some hospitalised, some of these in their teens. Where? In this country at games from under 9 years old to 14 years old. And if Whelan has sacked him for "disagreeing with his decisions", well, he has just lost all my respect, because if a manager isn't allowed to have an opinion that simply isn't acceptable. owd nick

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree