Blackburn Rovers skipper Grant Hanley relishing showdown with world champions Germany

Grant Hanley in action for Scotland

Grant Hanley in action for Scotland

First published in Sport
Last updated
This Is Lancashire: Photograph of the Author by , Blackburn Rovers reporter

BLACKBURN Rovers captain Grant Hanley is relishing the chance to take on wounded world champions Germany in their own back yard.

Hanley is set to take his place at the heart of the Scotland defence for their Euro 2016 qualifier at Borussia Dortmund’s 81,264-capacity Signal Iduna Park on Sunday.


MORE TOP STORIES:

It will be Germany’s first competitive encounter since winning the 2014 World Cup in the summer.

But Joachim Low’s lavishly talented team will go into the match on the back of a defeat in their first fixture since their famous triumph in Brazil.

Germany went down 4-2 to Argentina in Dusseldorf on Wednesday night in what was a rerun of the World Cup final.

But hurt or not Hanley cannot wait to pit his wits against some of the best players on the planet.

He said: “What an experience it will be – playing Germany in Germany.

“These are the types of games you play football to be involved in.

“I watched them at the World Cup and what can you say?

“It should be a great atmosphere and it’s going to be a good test to test ourselves against the best.”

Scotland will be firm underdogs for the Group D clash.

But there is genuine hope north of the border that the Tartan Army can qualify for a major tournament for the first time since the 1998 World Cup after going on a six-match unbeaten run.

Hanley said: “It’s going good, results and performances have picked up.

“It’s something I always enjoy so I always look forward to going away.

“As a player you just want to test yourself on the highest level as often as you can.

“So when you go away and play against the big countries it’s certainly a test.”

Asked whether he could be lining up at the Euro 2016 finals in France the centre back said: “We’ve improved recently, so you never know, but it’s going to be a test.”

Despite being just 22 Hanley has already established himself at international level.

He is in line to win his 14th cap against Germany on Sunday and his manager at club level believes the potential he possesses is ‘unlimited’.

Rovers boss Gary Bowyer made Hanley his captain in January after Scott Dann’s departure to Crystal Palace.

And Bowyer said: “The potential for Grant to improve and to want to improve is unlimited.”

Rovers defender Darragh Lenihan, 20, is part of the Republic of Ireland squad for their Euro U21s Championship qualifier in Halle against Germany tonight.

Comments (29)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:33am Fri 5 Sep 14

TurfMoor Tom says...

Grant "the missing link" Hanley.

If this guy had a brain in his oversized cranium he'd be dangerous.

Possibly the most overrated defender we've ever had and costs us at least 8 to 10 points a season with his lunge first think later mentality. And this is our captain? Pathetic.

How worried the Germans must be.
Grant "the missing link" Hanley. If this guy had a brain in his oversized cranium he'd be dangerous. Possibly the most overrated defender we've ever had and costs us at least 8 to 10 points a season with his lunge first think later mentality. And this is our captain? Pathetic. How worried the Germans must be. TurfMoor Tom
  • Score: -18

9:35am Fri 5 Sep 14

ComeDine WithMe says...

I hope for his sanity he performs better than of late, certainly than in the 2nd half of the Bournemouth game. God help him..
I hope for his sanity he performs better than of late, certainly than in the 2nd half of the Bournemouth game. God help him.. ComeDine WithMe
  • Score: 3

9:48am Fri 5 Sep 14

owd nick says...

Hopefully he gets through the game unscathed and learns something that will help him develop into a better player for us in the very near future.

Playing in a brilliant stadium, with a full house and against the current best team in the world, it really doesn't get any better than that does it?
Hopefully he gets through the game unscathed and learns something that will help him develop into a better player for us in the very near future. Playing in a brilliant stadium, with a full house and against the current best team in the world, it really doesn't get any better than that does it? owd nick
  • Score: 10

10:17am Fri 5 Sep 14

darwen1946 says...

Could he please start shining at Ewood park first LOL What load of nonesense
Could he please start shining at Ewood park first LOL What load of nonesense darwen1946
  • Score: -5

10:53am Fri 5 Sep 14

dangerous dave says...

owd nick wrote:
Hopefully he gets through the game unscathed and learns something that will help him develop into a better player for us in the very near future.

Playing in a brilliant stadium, with a full house and against the current best team in the world, it really doesn't get any better than that does it?
god help him and you!!!!!!!!!!!
OUT WITH THE COWBOYS AND INDIANS
[quote][p][bold]owd nick[/bold] wrote: Hopefully he gets through the game unscathed and learns something that will help him develop into a better player for us in the very near future. Playing in a brilliant stadium, with a full house and against the current best team in the world, it really doesn't get any better than that does it?[/p][/quote]god help him and you!!!!!!!!!!! OUT WITH THE COWBOYS AND INDIANS dangerous dave
  • Score: -9

11:17am Fri 5 Sep 14

Bazzer says...

dangerous dave wrote:
owd nick wrote:
Hopefully he gets through the game unscathed and learns something that will help him develop into a better player for us in the very near future.

Playing in a brilliant stadium, with a full house and against the current best team in the world, it really doesn't get any better than that does it?
god help him and you!!!!!!!!!!!
OUT WITH THE COWBOYS AND INDIANS
Well done Roy Hodgson for dealing frankly with know nowt know alls like this Dave character.
[quote][p][bold]dangerous dave[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]owd nick[/bold] wrote: Hopefully he gets through the game unscathed and learns something that will help him develop into a better player for us in the very near future. Playing in a brilliant stadium, with a full house and against the current best team in the world, it really doesn't get any better than that does it?[/p][/quote]god help him and you!!!!!!!!!!! OUT WITH THE COWBOYS AND INDIANS[/p][/quote]Well done Roy Hodgson for dealing frankly with know nowt know alls like this Dave character. Bazzer
  • Score: 7

11:19am Fri 5 Sep 14

Boris The Spider says...

TurfMoor Tom wrote:
Grant "the missing link" Hanley.

If this guy had a brain in his oversized cranium he'd be dangerous.

Possibly the most overrated defender we've ever had and costs us at least 8 to 10 points a season with his lunge first think later mentality. And this is our captain? Pathetic.

How worried the Germans must be.
A Burnley fan who pretends to be a Rovers fan who pretends to be a Burnley fan??

Why do you even bother?
[quote][p][bold]TurfMoor Tom[/bold] wrote: Grant "the missing link" Hanley. If this guy had a brain in his oversized cranium he'd be dangerous. Possibly the most overrated defender we've ever had and costs us at least 8 to 10 points a season with his lunge first think later mentality. And this is our captain? Pathetic. How worried the Germans must be.[/p][/quote]A Burnley fan who pretends to be a Rovers fan who pretends to be a Burnley fan?? Why do you even bother? Boris The Spider
  • Score: 19

12:03pm Fri 5 Sep 14

cedar67 says...

TurfMoor Tom wrote:
Grant "the missing link" Hanley.

If this guy had a brain in his oversized cranium he'd be dangerous.

Possibly the most overrated defender we've ever had and costs us at least 8 to 10 points a season with his lunge first think later mentality. And this is our captain? Pathetic.

How worried the Germans must be.
Get a grip. You're obsessed.
[quote][p][bold]TurfMoor Tom[/bold] wrote: Grant "the missing link" Hanley. If this guy had a brain in his oversized cranium he'd be dangerous. Possibly the most overrated defender we've ever had and costs us at least 8 to 10 points a season with his lunge first think later mentality. And this is our captain? Pathetic. How worried the Germans must be.[/p][/quote]Get a grip. You're obsessed. cedar67
  • Score: 9

12:07pm Fri 5 Sep 14

Harwoodstblue says...

Hanley keeps getting picked for Scotland so he can't be dropping the clangers that he does at club level.
Could that be because Scotland's midfielders protect their defence better than our midfieders do ? If so couldn't our management learn something from that ? Just a thought...
Hanley keeps getting picked for Scotland so he can't be dropping the clangers that he does at club level. Could that be because Scotland's midfielders protect their defence better than our midfieders do ? If so couldn't our management learn something from that ? Just a thought... Harwoodstblue
  • Score: 15

12:13pm Fri 5 Sep 14

studentrover1995 says...

Harwoodstblue wrote:
Hanley keeps getting picked for Scotland so he can't be dropping the clangers that he does at club level.
Could that be because Scotland's midfielders protect their defence better than our midfieders do ? If so couldn't our management learn something from that ? Just a thought...
Completely agree, our midfield hasn't been defensively good since we had Jermaine Jones, N'zonzi and Phil Jones (on the occasions he played defensive mid) playing there.
[quote][p][bold]Harwoodstblue[/bold] wrote: Hanley keeps getting picked for Scotland so he can't be dropping the clangers that he does at club level. Could that be because Scotland's midfielders protect their defence better than our midfieders do ? If so couldn't our management learn something from that ? Just a thought...[/p][/quote]Completely agree, our midfield hasn't been defensively good since we had Jermaine Jones, N'zonzi and Phil Jones (on the occasions he played defensive mid) playing there. studentrover1995
  • Score: 10

12:40pm Fri 5 Sep 14

Harwoodstblue says...

studentrover1995 wrote:
Harwoodstblue wrote:
Hanley keeps getting picked for Scotland so he can't be dropping the clangers that he does at club level.
Could that be because Scotland's midfielders protect their defence better than our midfieders do ? If so couldn't our management learn something from that ? Just a thought...
Completely agree, our midfield hasn't been defensively good since we had Jermaine Jones, N'zonzi and Phil Jones (on the occasions he played defensive mid) playing there.
Yes I don't think our midfield are as good as the two Jones's and N'zonzi but off the ball they should be tracking back more and making a general nuisance of themselves to the opposition. All it takes is a higher work rate and determined effort. Bowyer should be insisting on that at least.
Anyway we have new personnel in that department so anyone who isn't pulling their weight should be dropped.
[quote][p][bold]studentrover1995[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Harwoodstblue[/bold] wrote: Hanley keeps getting picked for Scotland so he can't be dropping the clangers that he does at club level. Could that be because Scotland's midfielders protect their defence better than our midfieders do ? If so couldn't our management learn something from that ? Just a thought...[/p][/quote]Completely agree, our midfield hasn't been defensively good since we had Jermaine Jones, N'zonzi and Phil Jones (on the occasions he played defensive mid) playing there.[/p][/quote]Yes I don't think our midfield are as good as the two Jones's and N'zonzi but off the ball they should be tracking back more and making a general nuisance of themselves to the opposition. All it takes is a higher work rate and determined effort. Bowyer should be insisting on that at least. Anyway we have new personnel in that department so anyone who isn't pulling their weight should be dropped. Harwoodstblue
  • Score: 8

2:21pm Fri 5 Sep 14

Bellypork says...

Hopefully get injured, give Duffy and Baptiste a game v Wigan next week.
Hopefully get injured, give Duffy and Baptiste a game v Wigan next week. Bellypork
  • Score: -5

2:44pm Fri 5 Sep 14

French Rover says...

Great international experience for Hanley which I hope he enjoys and learns from. It should benefit him personally (and our club) that he is playing at this level. It will give him a good break from club football and he should come back more focused with some better performances which are especially needed with the increased competition he has now. Good luck to Grant and Scotland.
Great international experience for Hanley which I hope he enjoys and learns from. It should benefit him personally (and our club) that he is playing at this level. It will give him a good break from club football and he should come back more focused with some better performances which are especially needed with the increased competition he has now. Good luck to Grant and Scotland. French Rover
  • Score: 3

2:59pm Fri 5 Sep 14

studentrover1995 says...

Harwoodstblue wrote:
studentrover1995 wrote:
Harwoodstblue wrote:
Hanley keeps getting picked for Scotland so he can't be dropping the clangers that he does at club level.
Could that be because Scotland's midfielders protect their defence better than our midfieders do ? If so couldn't our management learn something from that ? Just a thought...
Completely agree, our midfield hasn't been defensively good since we had Jermaine Jones, N'zonzi and Phil Jones (on the occasions he played defensive mid) playing there.
Yes I don't think our midfield are as good as the two Jones's and N'zonzi but off the ball they should be tracking back more and making a general nuisance of themselves to the opposition. All it takes is a higher work rate and determined effort. Bowyer should be insisting on that at least.
Anyway we have new personnel in that department so anyone who isn't pulling their weight should be dropped.
It's not that simple though, I don't think you can criticise Cairney, he puts everything into his performance, he is just much better at attacking than he is at defending. Evans is a great midfielder and can actually defend, but he is shattered after 60 minutes, leaving the defence exposed for the final half an hour, which contributes towards why we concede so many late goals. Lowe plays at right back so cannot really be considered. Dunn can only play 20 minutes of a game at most. And Williamson tries hard, but just isn't good enough to play in a team trying to get promoted in the Championship.
[quote][p][bold]Harwoodstblue[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]studentrover1995[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Harwoodstblue[/bold] wrote: Hanley keeps getting picked for Scotland so he can't be dropping the clangers that he does at club level. Could that be because Scotland's midfielders protect their defence better than our midfieders do ? If so couldn't our management learn something from that ? Just a thought...[/p][/quote]Completely agree, our midfield hasn't been defensively good since we had Jermaine Jones, N'zonzi and Phil Jones (on the occasions he played defensive mid) playing there.[/p][/quote]Yes I don't think our midfield are as good as the two Jones's and N'zonzi but off the ball they should be tracking back more and making a general nuisance of themselves to the opposition. All it takes is a higher work rate and determined effort. Bowyer should be insisting on that at least. Anyway we have new personnel in that department so anyone who isn't pulling their weight should be dropped.[/p][/quote]It's not that simple though, I don't think you can criticise Cairney, he puts everything into his performance, he is just much better at attacking than he is at defending. Evans is a great midfielder and can actually defend, but he is shattered after 60 minutes, leaving the defence exposed for the final half an hour, which contributes towards why we concede so many late goals. Lowe plays at right back so cannot really be considered. Dunn can only play 20 minutes of a game at most. And Williamson tries hard, but just isn't good enough to play in a team trying to get promoted in the Championship. studentrover1995
  • Score: 6

3:23pm Fri 5 Sep 14

eddyo says...

Hanley was one of our best players last year and at 22 he can only improve.
*
Football is a confidence thing and all players go through a sticky patch. Yes he can give a few clumsy penalties away but that is not the main reason for our disappointing results.
*
A proper central midfield pairing and better tactics would go along way to ease the pressure on our defence.
*
Those who overly criticise Hanley are clueless in my book.
Hanley was one of our best players last year and at 22 he can only improve. * Football is a confidence thing and all players go through a sticky patch. Yes he can give a few clumsy penalties away but that is not the main reason for our disappointing results. * A proper central midfield pairing and better tactics would go along way to ease the pressure on our defence. * Those who overly criticise Hanley are clueless in my book. eddyo
  • Score: 0

3:43pm Fri 5 Sep 14

Harwoodstblue says...

studentrover1995 wrote:
Harwoodstblue wrote:
studentrover1995 wrote:
Harwoodstblue wrote:
Hanley keeps getting picked for Scotland so he can't be dropping the clangers that he does at club level.
Could that be because Scotland's midfielders protect their defence better than our midfieders do ? If so couldn't our management learn something from that ? Just a thought...
Completely agree, our midfield hasn't been defensively good since we had Jermaine Jones, N'zonzi and Phil Jones (on the occasions he played defensive mid) playing there.
Yes I don't think our midfield are as good as the two Jones's and N'zonzi but off the ball they should be tracking back more and making a general nuisance of themselves to the opposition. All it takes is a higher work rate and determined effort. Bowyer should be insisting on that at least.
Anyway we have new personnel in that department so anyone who isn't pulling their weight should be dropped.
It's not that simple though, I don't think you can criticise Cairney, he puts everything into his performance, he is just much better at attacking than he is at defending. Evans is a great midfielder and can actually defend, but he is shattered after 60 minutes, leaving the defence exposed for the final half an hour, which contributes towards why we concede so many late goals. Lowe plays at right back so cannot really be considered. Dunn can only play 20 minutes of a game at most. And Williamson tries hard, but just isn't good enough to play in a team trying to get promoted in the Championship.
I think there's something wrong if professional footballers can't last more than 60 minutes !! If everyone does their job properly and puts in a full shift and they all work as a team effectively, there's no reason why they can't all last the whole 90 minutes. Blimey Evans is only a young lad.
I know Dunny is finished but that's down to his age and his 'ability' to pick up injuries every other game. Let's hope Tunnicliffe can make a difference to midfield and perhaps do the job that Savage and the like used to do. I think that's the type of player that we're missing in midfield.
[quote][p][bold]studentrover1995[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Harwoodstblue[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]studentrover1995[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Harwoodstblue[/bold] wrote: Hanley keeps getting picked for Scotland so he can't be dropping the clangers that he does at club level. Could that be because Scotland's midfielders protect their defence better than our midfieders do ? If so couldn't our management learn something from that ? Just a thought...[/p][/quote]Completely agree, our midfield hasn't been defensively good since we had Jermaine Jones, N'zonzi and Phil Jones (on the occasions he played defensive mid) playing there.[/p][/quote]Yes I don't think our midfield are as good as the two Jones's and N'zonzi but off the ball they should be tracking back more and making a general nuisance of themselves to the opposition. All it takes is a higher work rate and determined effort. Bowyer should be insisting on that at least. Anyway we have new personnel in that department so anyone who isn't pulling their weight should be dropped.[/p][/quote]It's not that simple though, I don't think you can criticise Cairney, he puts everything into his performance, he is just much better at attacking than he is at defending. Evans is a great midfielder and can actually defend, but he is shattered after 60 minutes, leaving the defence exposed for the final half an hour, which contributes towards why we concede so many late goals. Lowe plays at right back so cannot really be considered. Dunn can only play 20 minutes of a game at most. And Williamson tries hard, but just isn't good enough to play in a team trying to get promoted in the Championship.[/p][/quote]I think there's something wrong if professional footballers can't last more than 60 minutes !! If everyone does their job properly and puts in a full shift and they all work as a team effectively, there's no reason why they can't all last the whole 90 minutes. Blimey Evans is only a young lad. I know Dunny is finished but that's down to his age and his 'ability' to pick up injuries every other game. Let's hope Tunnicliffe can make a difference to midfield and perhaps do the job that Savage and the like used to do. I think that's the type of player that we're missing in midfield. Harwoodstblue
  • Score: 4

3:56pm Fri 5 Sep 14

owd nick says...

Harwoodstblue wrote:
Hanley keeps getting picked for Scotland so he can't be dropping the clangers that he does at club level.
Could that be because Scotland's midfielders protect their defence better than our midfieders do ? If so couldn't our management learn something from that ? Just a thought...
In a word, yep.
[quote][p][bold]Harwoodstblue[/bold] wrote: Hanley keeps getting picked for Scotland so he can't be dropping the clangers that he does at club level. Could that be because Scotland's midfielders protect their defence better than our midfieders do ? If so couldn't our management learn something from that ? Just a thought...[/p][/quote]In a word, yep. owd nick
  • Score: 5

4:05pm Fri 5 Sep 14

owd nick says...

studentrover1995 wrote:
Harwoodstblue wrote:
studentrover1995 wrote:
Harwoodstblue wrote:
Hanley keeps getting picked for Scotland so he can't be dropping the clangers that he does at club level.
Could that be because Scotland's midfielders protect their defence better than our midfieders do ? If so couldn't our management learn something from that ? Just a thought...
Completely agree, our midfield hasn't been defensively good since we had Jermaine Jones, N'zonzi and Phil Jones (on the occasions he played defensive mid) playing there.
Yes I don't think our midfield are as good as the two Jones's and N'zonzi but off the ball they should be tracking back more and making a general nuisance of themselves to the opposition. All it takes is a higher work rate and determined effort. Bowyer should be insisting on that at least.
Anyway we have new personnel in that department so anyone who isn't pulling their weight should be dropped.
It's not that simple though, I don't think you can criticise Cairney, he puts everything into his performance, he is just much better at attacking than he is at defending. Evans is a great midfielder and can actually defend, but he is shattered after 60 minutes, leaving the defence exposed for the final half an hour, which contributes towards why we concede so many late goals. Lowe plays at right back so cannot really be considered. Dunn can only play 20 minutes of a game at most. And Williamson tries hard, but just isn't good enough to play in a team trying to get promoted in the Championship.
That is one of the best analysis of our current midfield capability I have read for a long time.

I agree with every word.

This is where GB needs to be cuter with team and bench selections, and the timing of substitutions, especially in our midfield area, players like King, Evans and Marshall put in a lot of effort during a game and are quite often running on empty long before he makes any changes.
[quote][p][bold]studentrover1995[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Harwoodstblue[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]studentrover1995[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Harwoodstblue[/bold] wrote: Hanley keeps getting picked for Scotland so he can't be dropping the clangers that he does at club level. Could that be because Scotland's midfielders protect their defence better than our midfieders do ? If so couldn't our management learn something from that ? Just a thought...[/p][/quote]Completely agree, our midfield hasn't been defensively good since we had Jermaine Jones, N'zonzi and Phil Jones (on the occasions he played defensive mid) playing there.[/p][/quote]Yes I don't think our midfield are as good as the two Jones's and N'zonzi but off the ball they should be tracking back more and making a general nuisance of themselves to the opposition. All it takes is a higher work rate and determined effort. Bowyer should be insisting on that at least. Anyway we have new personnel in that department so anyone who isn't pulling their weight should be dropped.[/p][/quote]It's not that simple though, I don't think you can criticise Cairney, he puts everything into his performance, he is just much better at attacking than he is at defending. Evans is a great midfielder and can actually defend, but he is shattered after 60 minutes, leaving the defence exposed for the final half an hour, which contributes towards why we concede so many late goals. Lowe plays at right back so cannot really be considered. Dunn can only play 20 minutes of a game at most. And Williamson tries hard, but just isn't good enough to play in a team trying to get promoted in the Championship.[/p][/quote]That is one of the best analysis of our current midfield capability I have read for a long time. I agree with every word. This is where GB needs to be cuter with team and bench selections, and the timing of substitutions, especially in our midfield area, players like King, Evans and Marshall put in a lot of effort during a game and are quite often running on empty long before he makes any changes. owd nick
  • Score: 3

4:18pm Fri 5 Sep 14

Bellypork says...

eddyo wrote:
Hanley was one of our best players last year and at 22 he can only improve.
*
Football is a confidence thing and all players go through a sticky patch. Yes he can give a few clumsy penalties away but that is not the main reason for our disappointing results.
*
A proper central midfield pairing and better tactics would go along way to ease the pressure on our defence.
*
Those who overly criticise Hanley are clueless in my book.
Are you watching a different Hanley than me every Saturday............
...
[quote][p][bold]eddyo[/bold] wrote: Hanley was one of our best players last year and at 22 he can only improve. * Football is a confidence thing and all players go through a sticky patch. Yes he can give a few clumsy penalties away but that is not the main reason for our disappointing results. * A proper central midfield pairing and better tactics would go along way to ease the pressure on our defence. * Those who overly criticise Hanley are clueless in my book.[/p][/quote]Are you watching a different Hanley than me every Saturday............ ... Bellypork
  • Score: -4

4:41pm Fri 5 Sep 14

A Rover 45 years and over says...

Why is everyone suddenly picking on the players all the time. He's playing bad, he's rubbish etc. Why don't you put the blame where it belongs and that should be on GB because he is the real culprit in all this.
Why is everyone suddenly picking on the players all the time. He's playing bad, he's rubbish etc. Why don't you put the blame where it belongs and that should be on GB because he is the real culprit in all this. A Rover 45 years and over
  • Score: 1

4:46pm Fri 5 Sep 14

Bellypork says...

A Rover 45 years and over wrote:
Why is everyone suddenly picking on the players all the time. He's playing bad, he's rubbish etc. Why don't you put the blame where it belongs and that should be on GB because he is the real culprit in all this.
Fair comment but seriously, all these numptys thinking Hanley is fantastic, come on...... Rovers have had solid centre backs over the years, this lad does not compare, GB more concerned with keeping Rhodes and hoping he scores more than Hanley and his mistakes cost us each Saturday.....
[quote][p][bold]A Rover 45 years and over[/bold] wrote: Why is everyone suddenly picking on the players all the time. He's playing bad, he's rubbish etc. Why don't you put the blame where it belongs and that should be on GB because he is the real culprit in all this.[/p][/quote]Fair comment but seriously, all these numptys thinking Hanley is fantastic, come on...... Rovers have had solid centre backs over the years, this lad does not compare, GB more concerned with keeping Rhodes and hoping he scores more than Hanley and his mistakes cost us each Saturday..... Bellypork
  • Score: -3

4:48pm Fri 5 Sep 14

studentrover1995 says...

Harwoodstblue wrote:
studentrover1995 wrote:
Harwoodstblue wrote:
studentrover1995 wrote:
Harwoodstblue wrote:
Hanley keeps getting picked for Scotland so he can't be dropping the clangers that he does at club level.
Could that be because Scotland's midfielders protect their defence better than our midfieders do ? If so couldn't our management learn something from that ? Just a thought...
Completely agree, our midfield hasn't been defensively good since we had Jermaine Jones, N'zonzi and Phil Jones (on the occasions he played defensive mid) playing there.
Yes I don't think our midfield are as good as the two Jones's and N'zonzi but off the ball they should be tracking back more and making a general nuisance of themselves to the opposition. All it takes is a higher work rate and determined effort. Bowyer should be insisting on that at least.
Anyway we have new personnel in that department so anyone who isn't pulling their weight should be dropped.
It's not that simple though, I don't think you can criticise Cairney, he puts everything into his performance, he is just much better at attacking than he is at defending. Evans is a great midfielder and can actually defend, but he is shattered after 60 minutes, leaving the defence exposed for the final half an hour, which contributes towards why we concede so many late goals. Lowe plays at right back so cannot really be considered. Dunn can only play 20 minutes of a game at most. And Williamson tries hard, but just isn't good enough to play in a team trying to get promoted in the Championship.
I think there's something wrong if professional footballers can't last more than 60 minutes !! If everyone does their job properly and puts in a full shift and they all work as a team effectively, there's no reason why they can't all last the whole 90 minutes. Blimey Evans is only a young lad.
I know Dunny is finished but that's down to his age and his 'ability' to pick up injuries every other game. Let's hope Tunnicliffe can make a difference to midfield and perhaps do the job that Savage and the like used to do. I think that's the type of player that we're missing in midfield.
Yeah, that's what I was saying. Evans needs to get fitter so he can last 90 minutes, and it will go a long way towards solving our problem. As for Tunnicliffe, I haven't seen too much of him, but from what I have seen and heard, I don't think he will be able to do much more than be our cover midfielder in place of Williamson. Although I hope I'm wrong and he does do a good job for us.
[quote][p][bold]Harwoodstblue[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]studentrover1995[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Harwoodstblue[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]studentrover1995[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Harwoodstblue[/bold] wrote: Hanley keeps getting picked for Scotland so he can't be dropping the clangers that he does at club level. Could that be because Scotland's midfielders protect their defence better than our midfieders do ? If so couldn't our management learn something from that ? Just a thought...[/p][/quote]Completely agree, our midfield hasn't been defensively good since we had Jermaine Jones, N'zonzi and Phil Jones (on the occasions he played defensive mid) playing there.[/p][/quote]Yes I don't think our midfield are as good as the two Jones's and N'zonzi but off the ball they should be tracking back more and making a general nuisance of themselves to the opposition. All it takes is a higher work rate and determined effort. Bowyer should be insisting on that at least. Anyway we have new personnel in that department so anyone who isn't pulling their weight should be dropped.[/p][/quote]It's not that simple though, I don't think you can criticise Cairney, he puts everything into his performance, he is just much better at attacking than he is at defending. Evans is a great midfielder and can actually defend, but he is shattered after 60 minutes, leaving the defence exposed for the final half an hour, which contributes towards why we concede so many late goals. Lowe plays at right back so cannot really be considered. Dunn can only play 20 minutes of a game at most. And Williamson tries hard, but just isn't good enough to play in a team trying to get promoted in the Championship.[/p][/quote]I think there's something wrong if professional footballers can't last more than 60 minutes !! If everyone does their job properly and puts in a full shift and they all work as a team effectively, there's no reason why they can't all last the whole 90 minutes. Blimey Evans is only a young lad. I know Dunny is finished but that's down to his age and his 'ability' to pick up injuries every other game. Let's hope Tunnicliffe can make a difference to midfield and perhaps do the job that Savage and the like used to do. I think that's the type of player that we're missing in midfield.[/p][/quote]Yeah, that's what I was saying. Evans needs to get fitter so he can last 90 minutes, and it will go a long way towards solving our problem. As for Tunnicliffe, I haven't seen too much of him, but from what I have seen and heard, I don't think he will be able to do much more than be our cover midfielder in place of Williamson. Although I hope I'm wrong and he does do a good job for us. studentrover1995
  • Score: 4

4:54pm Fri 5 Sep 14

studentrover1995 says...

owd nick wrote:
studentrover1995 wrote:
Harwoodstblue wrote:
studentrover1995 wrote:
Harwoodstblue wrote:
Hanley keeps getting picked for Scotland so he can't be dropping the clangers that he does at club level.
Could that be because Scotland's midfielders protect their defence better than our midfieders do ? If so couldn't our management learn something from that ? Just a thought...
Completely agree, our midfield hasn't been defensively good since we had Jermaine Jones, N'zonzi and Phil Jones (on the occasions he played defensive mid) playing there.
Yes I don't think our midfield are as good as the two Jones's and N'zonzi but off the ball they should be tracking back more and making a general nuisance of themselves to the opposition. All it takes is a higher work rate and determined effort. Bowyer should be insisting on that at least.
Anyway we have new personnel in that department so anyone who isn't pulling their weight should be dropped.
It's not that simple though, I don't think you can criticise Cairney, he puts everything into his performance, he is just much better at attacking than he is at defending. Evans is a great midfielder and can actually defend, but he is shattered after 60 minutes, leaving the defence exposed for the final half an hour, which contributes towards why we concede so many late goals. Lowe plays at right back so cannot really be considered. Dunn can only play 20 minutes of a game at most. And Williamson tries hard, but just isn't good enough to play in a team trying to get promoted in the Championship.
That is one of the best analysis of our current midfield capability I have read for a long time.

I agree with every word.

This is where GB needs to be cuter with team and bench selections, and the timing of substitutions, especially in our midfield area, players like King, Evans and Marshall put in a lot of effort during a game and are quite often running on empty long before he makes any changes.
Cheers mate. Yeah I know what you mean about Marshall, when we played Bournemouth he, even more so than Evans, was shattered after 60 minutes. He played well up until that point, but in the time before he came off, he could not cover Olsson at all, and he was left completely exposed several times and did brilliantly to ensure that they did not capitalise on this, which is probably why he was man of the match. He even took over the attacking responsibilities! Lets hope it is just because it is the beginning of the season, and they will get fitter over this international break and in the coming weeks.
[quote][p][bold]owd nick[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]studentrover1995[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Harwoodstblue[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]studentrover1995[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Harwoodstblue[/bold] wrote: Hanley keeps getting picked for Scotland so he can't be dropping the clangers that he does at club level. Could that be because Scotland's midfielders protect their defence better than our midfieders do ? If so couldn't our management learn something from that ? Just a thought...[/p][/quote]Completely agree, our midfield hasn't been defensively good since we had Jermaine Jones, N'zonzi and Phil Jones (on the occasions he played defensive mid) playing there.[/p][/quote]Yes I don't think our midfield are as good as the two Jones's and N'zonzi but off the ball they should be tracking back more and making a general nuisance of themselves to the opposition. All it takes is a higher work rate and determined effort. Bowyer should be insisting on that at least. Anyway we have new personnel in that department so anyone who isn't pulling their weight should be dropped.[/p][/quote]It's not that simple though, I don't think you can criticise Cairney, he puts everything into his performance, he is just much better at attacking than he is at defending. Evans is a great midfielder and can actually defend, but he is shattered after 60 minutes, leaving the defence exposed for the final half an hour, which contributes towards why we concede so many late goals. Lowe plays at right back so cannot really be considered. Dunn can only play 20 minutes of a game at most. And Williamson tries hard, but just isn't good enough to play in a team trying to get promoted in the Championship.[/p][/quote]That is one of the best analysis of our current midfield capability I have read for a long time. I agree with every word. This is where GB needs to be cuter with team and bench selections, and the timing of substitutions, especially in our midfield area, players like King, Evans and Marshall put in a lot of effort during a game and are quite often running on empty long before he makes any changes.[/p][/quote]Cheers mate. Yeah I know what you mean about Marshall, when we played Bournemouth he, even more so than Evans, was shattered after 60 minutes. He played well up until that point, but in the time before he came off, he could not cover Olsson at all, and he was left completely exposed several times and did brilliantly to ensure that they did not capitalise on this, which is probably why he was man of the match. He even took over the attacking responsibilities! Lets hope it is just because it is the beginning of the season, and they will get fitter over this international break and in the coming weeks. studentrover1995
  • Score: 4

5:13pm Fri 5 Sep 14

Stone Island: says...

TurfMoor Tom wrote:
Grant "the missing link" Hanley.

If this guy had a brain in his oversized cranium he'd be dangerous.

Possibly the most overrated defender we've ever had and costs us at least 8 to 10 points a season with his lunge first think later mentality. And this is our captain? Pathetic.

How worried the Germans must be.
Knob head.
[quote][p][bold]TurfMoor Tom[/bold] wrote: Grant "the missing link" Hanley. If this guy had a brain in his oversized cranium he'd be dangerous. Possibly the most overrated defender we've ever had and costs us at least 8 to 10 points a season with his lunge first think later mentality. And this is our captain? Pathetic. How worried the Germans must be.[/p][/quote]Knob head. Stone Island:
  • Score: 3

8:20pm Fri 5 Sep 14

rarubbish says...

Just do it for Rovers and stop bloody dreaming
Just do it for Rovers and stop bloody dreaming rarubbish
  • Score: 2

8:28am Sat 6 Sep 14

juanbbien says...

Are there no other words these reporters can use other than Relishing and Vowing what players are going to do
Are there no other words these reporters can use other than Relishing and Vowing what players are going to do juanbbien
  • Score: 1

9:04am Sat 6 Sep 14

owd nick says...

A Rover 45 years and over wrote:
Why is everyone suddenly picking on the players all the time. He's playing bad, he's rubbish etc. Why don't you put the blame where it belongs and that should be on GB because he is the real culprit in all this.
Blame culture hey? Who would have guessed it?

"It's Roy Hodgson's fault England were boring crap this week".

Well not really, when PL clubs spend hundreds of millions bringing in ready made foreign players because they want a quick fix that relegates the vast majority of home grown talent (sic) to walk on parts from the bench or even being farmed out to the lower leagues or bottom feeder PL clubs for "experience".

I thought Stones had actually stopped playing, yet here he was at left back for England.

"It's GB's fault, etc; etc, well yes to a certain extent as he does pick the team, and the bench, and the tactics, but he is virtually powerless once they cross that white line, because then it's down to the players.

As it is for Hodgson.

Generally on here most of the comments regarding the players are pretty fair, ok, certain players like Lowe and Williamson will always get it in the neck, that's football.

Commenting on concerns about players performances happens everywhere a couple of fans or more get together, it's human nature.

We even slag off each other with gay abandon at times! :-)
[quote][p][bold]A Rover 45 years and over[/bold] wrote: Why is everyone suddenly picking on the players all the time. He's playing bad, he's rubbish etc. Why don't you put the blame where it belongs and that should be on GB because he is the real culprit in all this.[/p][/quote]Blame culture hey? Who would have guessed it? "It's Roy Hodgson's fault England were boring crap this week". Well not really, when PL clubs spend hundreds of millions bringing in ready made foreign players because they want a quick fix that relegates the vast majority of home grown talent (sic) to walk on parts from the bench or even being farmed out to the lower leagues or bottom feeder PL clubs for "experience". I thought Stones had actually stopped playing, yet here he was at left back for England. "It's GB's fault, etc; etc, well yes to a certain extent as he does pick the team, and the bench, and the tactics, but he is virtually powerless once they cross that white line, because then it's down to the players. As it is for Hodgson. Generally on here most of the comments regarding the players are pretty fair, ok, certain players like Lowe and Williamson will always get it in the neck, that's football. Commenting on concerns about players performances happens everywhere a couple of fans or more get together, it's human nature. We even slag off each other with gay abandon at times! :-) owd nick
  • Score: 0

9:46pm Sun 7 Sep 14

flowersorseaman? says...

studentrover1995 wrote:
Harwoodstblue wrote:
studentrover1995 wrote:
Harwoodstblue wrote:
Hanley keeps getting picked for Scotland so he can't be dropping the clangers that he does at club level.
Could that be because Scotland's midfielders protect their defence better than our midfieders do ? If so couldn't our management learn something from that ? Just a thought...
Completely agree, our midfield hasn't been defensively good since we had Jermaine Jones, N'zonzi and Phil Jones (on the occasions he played defensive mid) playing there.
Yes I don't think our midfield are as good as the two Jones's and N'zonzi but off the ball they should be tracking back more and making a general nuisance of themselves to the opposition. All it takes is a higher work rate and determined effort. Bowyer should be insisting on that at least.
Anyway we have new personnel in that department so anyone who isn't pulling their weight should be dropped.
It's not that simple though, I don't think you can criticise Cairney, he puts everything into his performance, he is just much better at attacking than he is at defending. Evans is a great midfielder and can actually defend, but he is shattered after 60 minutes, leaving the defence exposed for the final half an hour, which contributes towards why we concede so many late goals. Lowe plays at right back so cannot really be considered. Dunn can only play 20 minutes of a game at most. And Williamson tries hard, but just isn't good enough to play in a team trying to get promoted in the Championship.
Why can Dunny only play 20 mins? What relevance does that have to debating Corrie Evans' fitness levels, hardly going tom play Dunny in that role. Agree with your other comments though. I think we suffer from playing 442, we don't get the ball in the box from wide, and JR clearly doesn't excel playing with a strike partner. We need to go back to 451 or start getting the ball into the box and make it worthwhile playing 2 lads up top. Playing wrong footed wingers who try to clip it in to Rudi to knock down for JR has been proven not to work (what a shock), so let's change it.
[quote][p][bold]studentrover1995[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Harwoodstblue[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]studentrover1995[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Harwoodstblue[/bold] wrote: Hanley keeps getting picked for Scotland so he can't be dropping the clangers that he does at club level. Could that be because Scotland's midfielders protect their defence better than our midfieders do ? If so couldn't our management learn something from that ? Just a thought...[/p][/quote]Completely agree, our midfield hasn't been defensively good since we had Jermaine Jones, N'zonzi and Phil Jones (on the occasions he played defensive mid) playing there.[/p][/quote]Yes I don't think our midfield are as good as the two Jones's and N'zonzi but off the ball they should be tracking back more and making a general nuisance of themselves to the opposition. All it takes is a higher work rate and determined effort. Bowyer should be insisting on that at least. Anyway we have new personnel in that department so anyone who isn't pulling their weight should be dropped.[/p][/quote]It's not that simple though, I don't think you can criticise Cairney, he puts everything into his performance, he is just much better at attacking than he is at defending. Evans is a great midfielder and can actually defend, but he is shattered after 60 minutes, leaving the defence exposed for the final half an hour, which contributes towards why we concede so many late goals. Lowe plays at right back so cannot really be considered. Dunn can only play 20 minutes of a game at most. And Williamson tries hard, but just isn't good enough to play in a team trying to get promoted in the Championship.[/p][/quote]Why can Dunny only play 20 mins? What relevance does that have to debating Corrie Evans' fitness levels, hardly going tom play Dunny in that role. Agree with your other comments though. I think we suffer from playing 442, we don't get the ball in the box from wide, and JR clearly doesn't excel playing with a strike partner. We need to go back to 451 or start getting the ball into the box and make it worthwhile playing 2 lads up top. Playing wrong footed wingers who try to clip it in to Rudi to knock down for JR has been proven not to work (what a shock), so let's change it. flowersorseaman?
  • Score: 0

10:14pm Sun 7 Sep 14

Angry From Accrington says...

I just hope that he isn't too mentally scarred by the mauling he took tonight in Dortmund.
This could be a good reason to rest him on Saturday if Baptiste, Kilgallon and Duffy are all available.
I just hope that he isn't too mentally scarred by the mauling he took tonight in Dortmund. This could be a good reason to rest him on Saturday if Baptiste, Kilgallon and Duffy are all available. Angry From Accrington
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree