Leaky shower causes family's ceiling to collapse
8:30am Saturday 20th October 2012 in News
A FAMILY is waiting for urgent repairs on their council house after a leaky shower caused the ceiling in their hall to collapse.
Concerned parents Karen and Karl Mills say the health and hygiene of their three children is being affected by the damp in their home.
work was originally due to start on their kitchen as part of Bolton at Home’s planned programme of improvements in the middle of September.
A surveyor from Bolton at Home visited the property on September 13 and told Mr and Mrs Mills’ work needed to be done on their bathroom too.
The couple claim a member of staff pulled the wet-floor lining away from the tiles to inspect the damp, which made the mould worse.
Since then, the family have been unable to use the shower because of the water dripping through the hall ceiling, causing the plaster to fall off.
Bolton at Home have carried out temporary repairs to the property but Mr and Mrs Mills say the service has not been good enough.
Mrs Mills, aged 44, said: “It’s a joke. I’ve been ringing up every day and they’ve only done a little bit of work and left.
“The only date they said they could re-do the bathroom was on November 4 and that’s when we’re in Disneyland. We need to use the bathroom.”
Mrs Mills’ son Ryan, aged nine, suffers from anxiety attacks, Tourette syndrome, learning difficulties, social communication impairment, speech and language delays and congenital heart disease.
Mrs Mills added: “My son has special needs and I need a working shower with a seat for him. Not only that, we all need to have a shower.”
But since the couple have made the complaint to The Bolton News, Bolton at Home have said they are addressing the repairs to the couple’s property.
A spokesman said: “We’ve made temporary repairs, boarding-up the ceiling in the hallway on Tuesday after addressing the leak from the bathroom on Saturday.”
He said work fully re-fitting the bathroom was due to begin next Friday.