A BOLTON sports club official saved his teammate’s life when he collapsed after winning a table tennis match.
Barrie Fleet suffered a suspected heart attack and fell unconscious after winning his game.
First-aid-trained Alex Waring, who is a club official at Ladybridge Football Club, gave the 67-year-old mouth-tomouth resuscitation while Mike Dunn dialled 999.
Mr Waring tended to Mr Fleet before paramedics arrived at Our Lady of Grace RC Church’s Hall in Fairfax Road, Prestwich, and took him to North Manchester General Hospital.
Doctors feared the worst as the father-of-two lay in a coma in intensive care for five days.
He left hospital last Friday and returned to his home in Ennerdale Drive, Sunnybank, where he is now recovering.
Mr Fleet, who has played table tennis for 40 years, said: “I feel so relieved to be past the worst of it and I really owe Alex a pint or two for saving my life.”
On September 18, Mr Fleet, Mr Waring and Mr Dunn beat opponents Carlton Vale 9-1.
Mr Waring, aged 62, who lives in Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire, but used to live in Bolton, said: “Barrie won all three of his singles games and was fine, but then complained of feeling dizzy and collapsed on the floor.
“Adrenaline kicked in and I tried to keep calm. Mike called 999 while I did CPR.
“Barrie’s pulse was weak and I got more of a response from him after a few minutes, then the ambulance arrived and Mike did a great job directing them.”
Mr Fleet, a retired insurance assessor, said: “At the moment, I’ve got a lot of short-term memory loss and I’ve been told to rest for three or four weeks until I can have a test to assess the impact on my heart.”
Ken Crimes, who helps organise table tennis matches for the club, said: “Alex did a phenomenal job and it highlights the importance of getting first-aid training.”
Mr Waring, who works as a quantity surveyor, learned first-aid 30 years ago when he become involved with Ladybridge.
He said: “We have 500 members at the club across all age groups and it is paramount to have someone around who knows first aid.”