Blackburn with Darwen Council in new landlord licensing row

BLACKBURN with Darwen council was in the midst of a new landlord licensing row as property experts claimed the scheme put people off buying to rent which had contributed to the borough’s house price slump.

The authority currently licenses landlords in the Infirmary and Mill Hill districts of Blackburn and parts of Darwen.

But local conveyancing solicitor Charlotte Ferguson and property management expert Paul Ainsworth-Lord said the scheme - also operated in Trinity in Burnley and parts of Hyndburn - is driving away purchasers who want to let property as mortgage lenders will not advance cash for buy to let clients there.

But Blackburn with Darwen borough defended the scheme saying it drove up tenanted property standards and disputed the claims.

The row erupted as homeless charity Shelter produced figures showing East Lancashire boroughs received more than 4,500 complaints about private landlords in the last four years prosecuting 16 of them.

Blackburn solicitor Ms Ferguson said: “As a conveyancing solicitor, I know most mainstream buy-to-let lenders will not lend on properties that are subject to selective licensing. This could mean that properties remain unsold and the regeneration of the area is undermined.”

Mr Ainsworth-Lord referred to figures this week showing house prices in Blackburn had plummeted by 26.2 per cent in a year.

He said: “Selective licensing drives out landlords. Most major financial institutions will not lend for buy to let in such areas. That explains some of the house price slump.”

Shelter policy director Kay Boycott said: “ Selective licensing can give more ammunition ensure landlords fulfill their basic responsibilities, protecting vulnerable tenants from this minority making their lives hell.”

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:24am Fri 5 Oct 12

Excluded again says...

So if a local Council responds to residents' concerns about landlords who don't care about their properties or the behaviour of their tenants, the banks won't lend to landlords.

Yet again an example of our greedy, sociopathic banks. Profit at all costs. Who cares if people are terrorised by nuisance neighbours, if the bonuses which pay for my champagne Ferrarri and yacht are put at risk?

Yet another reason to take your money out of the banks and put it somewhere more responsible.
So if a local Council responds to residents' concerns about landlords who don't care about their properties or the behaviour of their tenants, the banks won't lend to landlords. Yet again an example of our greedy, sociopathic banks. Profit at all costs. Who cares if people are terrorised by nuisance neighbours, if the bonuses which pay for my champagne Ferrarri and yacht are put at risk? Yet another reason to take your money out of the banks and put it somewhere more responsible. Excluded again
  • Score: 6

10:03am Fri 5 Oct 12

midas says...

What do Landlords get in return for paying £500 a year (a months rent!)? Do they get better tenants? no, do they get guaranteed rent payments? no, in fact I cannot think of anythng that a landlord gets in return for this fee - its a tax!
What do Landlords get in return for paying £500 a year (a months rent!)? Do they get better tenants? no, do they get guaranteed rent payments? no, in fact I cannot think of anythng that a landlord gets in return for this fee - its a tax! midas
  • Score: 1

10:20am Fri 5 Oct 12

jimpy0 says...

And what happens when tenants complain to housing standards about shoddy or no repairs and abuse from landlords - oh yeah they get evicted.
And what happens when tenants complain to housing standards about shoddy or no repairs and abuse from landlords - oh yeah they get evicted. jimpy0
  • Score: 1

10:53am Fri 5 Oct 12

midas says...

jimpy0 wrote:
And what happens when tenants complain to housing standards about shoddy or no repairs and abuse from landlords - oh yeah they get evicted.
and how does licensing stop that? Theres no shortage of houses, if you have a landlord that isn't doing his job, move to another house!
.
I have 28 houses that are all occupied, I haven't had a tenant leave for over 3 years. I do the repairs and they pay the rent, everyones happy.
.
I wouldn't buy a house in a licensed area, why would I?
[quote][p][bold]jimpy0[/bold] wrote: And what happens when tenants complain to housing standards about shoddy or no repairs and abuse from landlords - oh yeah they get evicted.[/p][/quote]and how does licensing stop that? Theres no shortage of houses, if you have a landlord that isn't doing his job, move to another house! . I have 28 houses that are all occupied, I haven't had a tenant leave for over 3 years. I do the repairs and they pay the rent, everyones happy. . I wouldn't buy a house in a licensed area, why would I? midas
  • Score: -3

12:39pm Fri 5 Oct 12

jimpy0 says...

and how does licensing stop that? Theres no shortage of houses, if you have a landlord that isn't doing his job, move to another house!


and thats the attitude
[quote] and how does licensing stop that? Theres no shortage of houses, if you have a landlord that isn't doing his job, move to another house! [/quote] and thats the attitude jimpy0
  • Score: 0

1:11pm Fri 5 Oct 12

jack daniels says...

midas wrote:
jimpy0 wrote: And what happens when tenants complain to housing standards about shoddy or no repairs and abuse from landlords - oh yeah they get evicted.
and how does licensing stop that? Theres no shortage of houses, if you have a landlord that isn't doing his job, move to another house! . I have 28 houses that are all occupied, I haven't had a tenant leave for over 3 years. I do the repairs and they pay the rent, everyones happy. . I wouldn't buy a house in a licensed area, why would I?
I raise my hat to you and your honour Midas. If only every landlord was as honourable as yourself.

There where still 4,500 complaints about private landlords in the last four years, so it seems that the licensing scheme can be justified because of a few bad apple spoiling it for the rest
[quote][p][bold]midas[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jimpy0[/bold] wrote: And what happens when tenants complain to housing standards about shoddy or no repairs and abuse from landlords - oh yeah they get evicted.[/p][/quote]and how does licensing stop that? Theres no shortage of houses, if you have a landlord that isn't doing his job, move to another house! . I have 28 houses that are all occupied, I haven't had a tenant leave for over 3 years. I do the repairs and they pay the rent, everyones happy. . I wouldn't buy a house in a licensed area, why would I?[/p][/quote]I raise my hat to you and your honour Midas. If only every landlord was as honourable as yourself. There where still 4,500 complaints about private landlords in the last four years, so it seems that the licensing scheme can be justified because of a few bad apple spoiling it for the rest jack daniels
  • Score: 0

2:05pm Fri 5 Oct 12

tonygreaves says...

Interesting that our friendly local landlord here calls himself "midas". Just remember what happened to Midas.

Tony Greaves
Interesting that our friendly local landlord here calls himself "midas". Just remember what happened to Midas. Tony Greaves tonygreaves
  • Score: -1

2:05pm Fri 5 Oct 12

makaveli96 says...

Why are people allowed NOT to pay council tax?
Why are people allowed NOT to pay council tax? makaveli96
  • Score: -1

2:48pm Fri 5 Oct 12

midas says...

tonygreaves wrote:
Interesting that our friendly local landlord here calls himself "midas". Just remember what happened to Midas. Tony Greaves
An unwarrented dig from a politician, well i never! You don't know me or my business, but when has a lack of knowledge ever stopped you?
[quote][p][bold]tonygreaves[/bold] wrote: Interesting that our friendly local landlord here calls himself "midas". Just remember what happened to Midas. Tony Greaves[/p][/quote]An unwarrented dig from a politician, well i never! You don't know me or my business, but when has a lack of knowledge ever stopped you? midas
  • Score: 2

2:59pm Fri 5 Oct 12

midas says...

makaveli96 wrote:
Why are people allowed NOT to pay council tax?
and if you are Tong Greaves the elected representitive perhaps you should spend more time getting the housing in your area sorted, rather than criticising me!
.
How many prosecutions have Pendle brought against landlords who don't keep their properties maintained? How many tenants evicted for anti-socil behaviour? How many ASBOs or house closure orders have the Council got against unruly tenants?
.
Perhaps you should spend more time getting your own house in order rather than criticising someone doing what you should be doing, providing good quality housing!
.
My tenants are happy with me because I respond to them and sort things out and in return they pay their rent on time, its win win all round. Not looking after your tenants is just bad business. They stop paying their rent, they stop looking after the property and eventually they leave and not only have you lost 3 or 4 months worth of rent you then need to refurbish the house which has been left in a terrible state!
[quote][p][bold]makaveli96[/bold] wrote: Why are people allowed NOT to pay council tax?[/p][/quote]and if you are Tong Greaves the elected representitive perhaps you should spend more time getting the housing in your area sorted, rather than criticising me! . How many prosecutions have Pendle brought against landlords who don't keep their properties maintained? How many tenants evicted for anti-socil behaviour? How many ASBOs or house closure orders have the Council got against unruly tenants? . Perhaps you should spend more time getting your own house in order rather than criticising someone doing what you should be doing, providing good quality housing! . My tenants are happy with me because I respond to them and sort things out and in return they pay their rent on time, its win win all round. Not looking after your tenants is just bad business. They stop paying their rent, they stop looking after the property and eventually they leave and not only have you lost 3 or 4 months worth of rent you then need to refurbish the house which has been left in a terrible state! midas
  • Score: 3

4:51pm Fri 5 Oct 12

Good call says...

DO NOT GET THIS IT IS AN ID CARD BY THE BACKDOOR

http://www.infowars.
com/national-virtual
-id-card-scheme-set-
for-launch-is-there-
anything-that-could-
possibly-go-wrong/
DO NOT GET THIS IT IS AN ID CARD BY THE BACKDOOR http://www.infowars. com/national-virtual -id-card-scheme-set- for-launch-is-there- anything-that-could- possibly-go-wrong/ Good call
  • Score: 3

8:19pm Fri 5 Oct 12

workaholic says...

midas wrote:
What do Landlords get in return for paying £500 a year (a months rent!)? Do they get better tenants? no, do they get guaranteed rent payments? no, in fact I cannot think of anythng that a landlord gets in return for this fee - its a tax!
You hit the nail on the head. This is just a money making enterprise for the councils - creating some more well paid - (overpaid) - positions within those plush council offices. Jobs for the boys ! Why should good landlords be penalised for a very small minority of landlords who do not keep their properties up to standard.
Logically - tenants have a choice whether they wish to live in a property or not - therefore the problem will sort itself out once bad landlords realise they are unable to let their properties because of the condition they are in !
[quote][p][bold]midas[/bold] wrote: What do Landlords get in return for paying £500 a year (a months rent!)? Do they get better tenants? no, do they get guaranteed rent payments? no, in fact I cannot think of anythng that a landlord gets in return for this fee - its a tax![/p][/quote]You hit the nail on the head. This is just a money making enterprise for the councils - creating some more well paid - (overpaid) - positions within those plush council offices. Jobs for the boys ! Why should good landlords be penalised for a very small minority of landlords who do not keep their properties up to standard. Logically - tenants have a choice whether they wish to live in a property or not - therefore the problem will sort itself out once bad landlords realise they are unable to let their properties because of the condition they are in ! workaholic
  • Score: 2

7:50am Sat 6 Oct 12

jack daniels says...

workaholic wrote:
midas wrote:
What do Landlords get in return for paying £500 a year (a months rent!)? Do they get better tenants? no, do they get guaranteed rent payments? no, in fact I cannot think of anythng that a landlord gets in return for this fee - its a tax!
You hit the nail on the head. This is just a money making enterprise for the councils - creating some more well paid - (overpaid) - positions within those plush council offices. Jobs for the boys ! Why should good landlords be penalised for a very small minority of landlords who do not keep their properties up to standard.
Logically - tenants have a choice whether they wish to live in a property or not - therefore the problem will sort itself out once bad landlords realise they are unable to let their properties because of the condition they are in !
Yet the article clearly states that there where thousands of complaints. Therefore the poor council had to employ people to create a solution to the problem. Don't forget it's our tax that's used to pay housing benefit, and I for one would like to see some value for money.
The biggest flaws in your argument are that you have signed a contract which you can't easily get out of, and to move out of a bad place you need a deposit for your new house. Obviously, because your spare money is already with the feckless landlord anyway (who may find an excuse not to pay it back), it's difficult to do the obvious.
[quote][p][bold]workaholic[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]midas[/bold] wrote: What do Landlords get in return for paying £500 a year (a months rent!)? Do they get better tenants? no, do they get guaranteed rent payments? no, in fact I cannot think of anythng that a landlord gets in return for this fee - its a tax![/p][/quote]You hit the nail on the head. This is just a money making enterprise for the councils - creating some more well paid - (overpaid) - positions within those plush council offices. Jobs for the boys ! Why should good landlords be penalised for a very small minority of landlords who do not keep their properties up to standard. Logically - tenants have a choice whether they wish to live in a property or not - therefore the problem will sort itself out once bad landlords realise they are unable to let their properties because of the condition they are in ![/p][/quote]Yet the article clearly states that there where thousands of complaints. Therefore the poor council had to employ people to create a solution to the problem. Don't forget it's our tax that's used to pay housing benefit, and I for one would like to see some value for money. The biggest flaws in your argument are that you have signed a contract which you can't easily get out of, and to move out of a bad place you need a deposit for your new house. Obviously, because your spare money is already with the feckless landlord anyway (who may find an excuse not to pay it back), it's difficult to do the obvious. jack daniels
  • Score: 1

7:59am Sat 6 Oct 12

jack daniels says...

This almost feels like another advert by the LT dressed up as a news story.

Interesting that the council like their idea, the charity SHELTER like the idea, but the property management and solicitors don't.

Hmm, go figure....
This almost feels like another advert by the LT dressed up as a news story. Interesting that the council like their idea, the charity SHELTER like the idea, but the property management and solicitors don't. Hmm, go figure.... jack daniels
  • Score: 0

10:53pm Sun 7 Oct 12

retired one says...

The reason that house prices are falling is because some areas are being turned into slums due to absent landlords. They don't care about their properties or what tenants they allow in them, they only care about the money that is guaranteed in rents due to the benefits that are paying for it.
The reason that house prices are falling is because some areas are being turned into slums due to absent landlords. They don't care about their properties or what tenants they allow in them, they only care about the money that is guaranteed in rents due to the benefits that are paying for it. retired one
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree