Girl suffers burns after aerosol put on Accrington bonfire
7:00pm Sunday 16th September 2012 in News
A 13-YEAR-OLD girl suffered burns to her legs when an aerosol can was sprayed onto a campfire.
The incident happened in a front garden a house in Annie Street, Accrington, on Friday evening (Sept 14), causing the flames to jump out and burn the girl.
The teenager was with a group of friends at the time and she received superficial blistering to her legs and needed hospital treatment.
Hyndburn crew manager Robert Birtwistle said the teenager had been lucky not to be more seriously injured and warned people about the dangers of spraying aerosol cans near fires.
He said: “The girl received superficial burns, mainly blistering and redness to the skin on her legs.
“We administered first aid on the scene and the ambulance arrived within five minutes.
“She was taken to the Royal Blackburn Hospital , but she did not seem to be in too much pain.
“We are not 100 per cent sure who sprayed the can, we were more concerned about getting the girl away to hospital, but the police did come.”
Mr Birtwistle said peiople needed to be responsible when having a bonfire.
He said: “My advice would be to not put aerosol cans on a fire and to not mess about with campfires.
“It could be so dangerous and it could have been a lot worse for this girl.”
A father-of-four from Bunkers Hill Close, Blackburn, was also left with second degree burns to his face and hands last month, when he lit a cigarette after putting hairspray on his hair.