Travellers set up camp in Burnley
10:30am Saturday 15th September 2012 in News
TRAVELLERS have set up camp next to a children’s play area in Burnley sparking fury.
Angry residents near to the park between Tabor Street and Ighten Road have contacted ward councillors to raise concerns.
Council bosses are now seeking a court order to clear the travellers, who have around eight vehicles, from the site.
It is believed that the travellers have family in Burnley, and have moved from Cog Lane, where they had set up camp last week.
Coun Charlie Briggs, who represents the ward, said: “Concerned residents rang me on Thursday night and Friday morning and I feel for them. I am with them all the way on it.
“I have passed it on to Burnley Council but I do ask for patience because unfortunately we have to follow the procedures.These people know the rules and regulations as well which is why they arrive close to a weekend, they sail close to the wind.
“This is trespass as well, they have moved boulders to get on to the land and that is shocking.
"They are close to the children’s play area and that is not fair either.
“The council has to go to court to get possession orders to move them on, but for me the council should have ultimate power and should be able to move them on straight away.
“They are some very angry residents because this site is clearly open and they can see the caravans from their windows.
“I just hope they don’t leave the site in a mess, it isn’t fair on residents and it costs Burnley Council X amount of pounds to clean it up.”
A Burnley Council spokesman said: “Council officers went to the site yesterday morning, told them they are on council land and asked them to leave. We will be going to court on Monday to apply for a possession order and then arrange for bailiffs to get them off the site.”