Major takeaway fire closes Accrington town centre road
FAMILIES were evacuated from their homes and a road was closed after a major fire tore through an Accrington town centre takeaway tonight.
Flames shot out from the roof of the Sahad takeaway, in Blackburn Road, and thick black smoke could be seen from as far away as Burnley.
It was the second time the mid-terraced property had been left devastated in just a matter of weeks, after the front part of the building collapsed into the street at the end of July.
Crews from across East Lancashire were called to tackle the blaze and even Miles Parkinson, leader of Hyndburn Council and a retained firefighter, went into the property to help.
Insp Graham Ashcroft said: "The call came in just before 7pm. One of the owners has discovered the fire which was in a flue canopy within the downstairs shop. There were three other people in the premises at the time and they evacuated.
"The fire took hold and has badly damaged the premises throughout. It spread to one of the houses next door."
Firefighters were still tackling the blaze at 8.30pm.
Insp Ashcroft added: "Fire investigators have already stared work but we believe it started accidentally."
The road was closed and remained shut tonight.