Woman flees Burnley house blaze
A TENANT had a lucky escape when a fire broke out in her loft as she slept downstairs in her Burnley home.
Firefighters were alerted to the blaze, in Creswick Close, at around 7.25pm on Tuesday after receiving a call from a worried neighbour, who had seen smoke coming out from underneath the roof tiles.
The first thing the woman living at the address knew about the fire was when the the two Burnley crews burst in through her front door.
Firefighters said they bel-ieved an electrical fault in the loft space had sparked the flames, causing a lot of smoke, which was spreading towards a neighbour’s home.
The occupier’s landlord Matthew Regan said he was glad nobody had been hurt in the drama.
He said: “It was quite a shock. We hope to be get it all sorted out as soon as we can, but we can only do our best.
“You cannot help a fire.”
Burnley watch manager Steve Harrison said: “The lady was asleep downstairs and neighbours across the road saw smoke coming out from under the slates.
“There is quite significant damage in the roof.
“There was a lot of smoke and it was spreading to the neighbour’s property, “The lady is fine although she is a little bit shaken up, it was quite dramatic for her.
“I think it was an electrical fault in the roof space and we have covered the roof up in case it rains, just to protect everything inside.”