Call for 20mph zones across Blackburn and Darwen

This Is Lancashire: REDUCE ACCIDENTS Road speeds could be set at 20mph REDUCE ACCIDENTS Road speeds could be set at 20mph

A CAMPAIGN has been launched to introduce a 20mph speed limit in every one of Blackburn with Darwen’s residential roads.

Liberal Democrat councillors said they were taking the action in response to the borough’s higher-than-average accident rate and complaints about speed humps.

Blackburn with Darwen has a number of 20mph zones, but campaigners want the local authority to mirror Lancashire County Council’s commitment to bringing in a lower limit in every residential road.

Coun David Foster, leader of the Lib Dems in Blackburn with Darwen, believes it would result in fewer accidents and injuries.

He said: "We have a higher-than-average accident rate in the borough and studies suggest that the introduction of a 20mph limit would reduce accidents by 20-to-30 per cent.

“These 20mph speed limits are not new and we do have some areas in the borough which have a 20mph limit.

“One of the drawbacks in the past has been the introduction of road humps in 20mph areas.

“This has made it expensive and unpopular with some people.

“Regulations have now changed and road humps are not required.”

Last month the Lancashire Telegraph revealed that boy-racers in the Highercroft area of Blackburn were competing to get speeds of 100mph to register on an interactive sign in a 20mph zone.

Coun Foster said: “We don't expect the whole of the borough to have the limit overnight, but we want a commitment from the council to have a rolling programme to see them introduced eventually across the whole of the borough.

“We would expect them to target high accident areas initially.”

Coun Foster said he would expect there to be a period of consultation with residents before a 20mph limit was introduced in their area.

Comments (35)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:10am Fri 24 Feb 12

Your ferret stinks says...

Exactly how would this be policed? ever tried to drive a flash motor at 20mph?

So that means less people coming to town then, rendering the Mall a waste of money...my word BwDC you really do hate drivers don't you?
Exactly how would this be policed? ever tried to drive a flash motor at 20mph? So that means less people coming to town then, rendering the Mall a waste of money...my word BwDC you really do hate drivers don't you? Your ferret stinks
  • Score: 0

9:28am Fri 24 Feb 12

happycyclist says...

How much will cost? Will there be signs everywhere or just at the entry points to Blackburn? It recently cost Darwen Council £5,000 just to put up three 'Welcome to Darwen' signs.
How much will cost? Will there be signs everywhere or just at the entry points to Blackburn? It recently cost Darwen Council £5,000 just to put up three 'Welcome to Darwen' signs. happycyclist
  • Score: 0

10:00am Fri 24 Feb 12

jimpy0 says...

Why not sort out the REAL issues in this town instead of faffing and wasting money WE DO NOT HAVE !!!!!!!!!
Why not sort out the REAL issues in this town instead of faffing and wasting money WE DO NOT HAVE !!!!!!!!! jimpy0
  • Score: 0

10:07am Fri 24 Feb 12

jimpy0 says...

also correct me if wrong but the pic shows the brookhouse area - predominantly asian - and we all know how they drive ;)
also correct me if wrong but the pic shows the brookhouse area - predominantly asian - and we all know how they drive ;) jimpy0
  • Score: 0

10:08am Fri 24 Feb 12

Tuo Neak says...

The only reason any 20mph zone "works" is because of speed bumps surely. Who is going to enforce all of the 20mph zones? Just a question is anyone enforcing the current 30mph zones in these residential streets?
The only reason any 20mph zone "works" is because of speed bumps surely. Who is going to enforce all of the 20mph zones? Just a question is anyone enforcing the current 30mph zones in these residential streets? Tuo Neak
  • Score: 0

10:31am Fri 24 Feb 12

Hena says...

£5k on 3 new signs for Darwen, how much will it cost for all new 20 mile/hr signs for the borough? All to be pilfered and sold to unscrupilous scrap metal merchants for cash. What a waste of money!
£5k on 3 new signs for Darwen, how much will it cost for all new 20 mile/hr signs for the borough? All to be pilfered and sold to unscrupilous scrap metal merchants for cash. What a waste of money! Hena
  • Score: 0

10:39am Fri 24 Feb 12

living the end times in BB1 says...

This is a great idea once the ring road is complete.And to add i would like the ring road speed limit of 50mph to compensate for the lower limits in built up areas.
This is a great idea once the ring road is complete.And to add i would like the ring road speed limit of 50mph to compensate for the lower limits in built up areas. living the end times in BB1
  • Score: 0

11:33am Fri 24 Feb 12

darwenTower says...

I'd be happier if someone would teach the people of Darwen how to cross a road.

Currently the preferred method is to step into traffic and hope that it stops.
I'd be happier if someone would teach the people of Darwen how to cross a road. Currently the preferred method is to step into traffic and hope that it stops. darwenTower
  • Score: 0

12:00pm Fri 24 Feb 12

s_smith says...

Well, it would be interesting to find out exactly what the average speeds actually are in these areas before spending money on introducing 20mph zones. If average speeds are already around the 20mph mark, introducing a 20mph zone does nothing except provide a psychological comfort blanket.
.
There isn't any proof that 20mph zones on their own reduce accidents and given that speed is not the major factor in the majority of urban pedestrian/vehicle collisions then I am not quite sure what these councillors expect to achieve.
.
If it is true about the boy racers in Highercroft (and I dont believe it is, given that the signs in question can not even display 100mph) then it just goes to show that 20mph zones dont actually work, given that much of Highercroft is already a 20mph zone.
.
This just smacks of the "something must be done" brigade. We could make the whole borough a 20mph zone and it would not have a statistically significant long-term effect on casualties - that is a certain fact.
.
Take for instance the 50mph limits on the main country roads in the area - have these cut casualties? No. The A675 is still regarded as one of the most dangerous in the country - but since it was resurfaced last year have there been as many accidents? Look at the 30mph at Bull Hill... people ignore that one because it simply shouldnt be 30mph; it is not built up enough and it is difficult for drivers to choose the correct speed if the road is of the wrong character.
.
Until the councillors and the officers realise that it is good road design and good road maintenance that keeps casualties to an acceptable level, only then will real inroads be made in to the level of carnage on the roads.
.
It is not difficult, by using google to find appropriate research on the benefits or otherwise of speed limits, driver behaviour and the way drivers respond to road layouts.
Well, it would be interesting to find out exactly what the average speeds actually are in these areas before spending money on introducing 20mph zones. If average speeds are already around the 20mph mark, introducing a 20mph zone does nothing except provide a psychological comfort blanket. . There isn't any proof that 20mph zones on their own reduce accidents and given that speed is not the major factor in the majority of urban pedestrian/vehicle collisions then I am not quite sure what these councillors expect to achieve. . If it is true about the boy racers in Highercroft (and I dont believe it is, given that the signs in question can not even display 100mph) then it just goes to show that 20mph zones dont actually work, given that much of Highercroft is already a 20mph zone. . This just smacks of the "something must be done" brigade. We could make the whole borough a 20mph zone and it would not have a statistically significant long-term effect on casualties - that is a certain fact. . Take for instance the 50mph limits on the main country roads in the area - have these cut casualties? No. The A675 is still regarded as one of the most dangerous in the country - but since it was resurfaced last year have there been as many accidents? Look at the 30mph at Bull Hill... people ignore that one because it simply shouldnt be 30mph; it is not built up enough and it is difficult for drivers to choose the correct speed if the road is of the wrong character. . Until the councillors and the officers realise that it is good road design and good road maintenance that keeps casualties to an acceptable level, only then will real inroads be made in to the level of carnage on the roads. . It is not difficult, by using google to find appropriate research on the benefits or otherwise of speed limits, driver behaviour and the way drivers respond to road layouts. s_smith
  • Score: 0

12:43pm Fri 24 Feb 12

Pan-cake says...

s_smith wrote:
Well, it would be interesting to find out exactly what the average speeds actually are in these areas before spending money on introducing 20mph zones. If average speeds are already around the 20mph mark, introducing a 20mph zone does nothing except provide a psychological comfort blanket.
.
There isn't any proof that 20mph zones on their own reduce accidents and given that speed is not the major factor in the majority of urban pedestrian/vehicle collisions then I am not quite sure what these councillors expect to achieve.
.
If it is true about the boy racers in Highercroft (and I dont believe it is, given that the signs in question can not even display 100mph) then it just goes to show that 20mph zones dont actually work, given that much of Highercroft is already a 20mph zone.
.
This just smacks of the "something must be done" brigade. We could make the whole borough a 20mph zone and it would not have a statistically significant long-term effect on casualties - that is a certain fact.
.
Take for instance the 50mph limits on the main country roads in the area - have these cut casualties? No. The A675 is still regarded as one of the most dangerous in the country - but since it was resurfaced last year have there been as many accidents? Look at the 30mph at Bull Hill... people ignore that one because it simply shouldnt be 30mph; it is not built up enough and it is difficult for drivers to choose the correct speed if the road is of the wrong character.
.
Until the councillors and the officers realise that it is good road design and good road maintenance that keeps casualties to an acceptable level, only then will real inroads be made in to the level of carnage on the roads.
.
It is not difficult, by using google to find appropriate research on the benefits or otherwise of speed limits, driver behaviour and the way drivers respond to road layouts.
Is your first name Sensible? An excellent critique of these bonkers plans.
Don't forget that there are jobs attached to the programme. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
[quote][p][bold]s_smith[/bold] wrote: Well, it would be interesting to find out exactly what the average speeds actually are in these areas before spending money on introducing 20mph zones. If average speeds are already around the 20mph mark, introducing a 20mph zone does nothing except provide a psychological comfort blanket. . There isn't any proof that 20mph zones on their own reduce accidents and given that speed is not the major factor in the majority of urban pedestrian/vehicle collisions then I am not quite sure what these councillors expect to achieve. . If it is true about the boy racers in Highercroft (and I dont believe it is, given that the signs in question can not even display 100mph) then it just goes to show that 20mph zones dont actually work, given that much of Highercroft is already a 20mph zone. . This just smacks of the "something must be done" brigade. We could make the whole borough a 20mph zone and it would not have a statistically significant long-term effect on casualties - that is a certain fact. . Take for instance the 50mph limits on the main country roads in the area - have these cut casualties? No. The A675 is still regarded as one of the most dangerous in the country - but since it was resurfaced last year have there been as many accidents? Look at the 30mph at Bull Hill... people ignore that one because it simply shouldnt be 30mph; it is not built up enough and it is difficult for drivers to choose the correct speed if the road is of the wrong character. . Until the councillors and the officers realise that it is good road design and good road maintenance that keeps casualties to an acceptable level, only then will real inroads be made in to the level of carnage on the roads. . It is not difficult, by using google to find appropriate research on the benefits or otherwise of speed limits, driver behaviour and the way drivers respond to road layouts.[/p][/quote]Is your first name Sensible? An excellent critique of these bonkers plans. Don't forget that there are jobs attached to the programme. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas. Pan-cake
  • Score: 0

1:21pm Fri 24 Feb 12

255.255.255.0 says...

jimpy0 wrote:
Why not sort out the REAL issues in this town instead of faffing and wasting money WE DO NOT HAVE !!!!!!!!!
stereotyping are we.. why dobnt you read the full article properly, 'Last month the Lancashire Telegraph revealed that boy-racers in the Highercroft area of Blackburn were competing to get speeds of 100mph to register on an interactive sign in a 20mph zone. ' ****
[quote][p][bold]jimpy0[/bold] wrote: Why not sort out the REAL issues in this town instead of faffing and wasting money WE DO NOT HAVE !!!!!!!!![/p][/quote]stereotyping are we.. why dobnt you read the full article properly, 'Last month the Lancashire Telegraph revealed that boy-racers in the Highercroft area of Blackburn were competing to get speeds of 100mph to register on an interactive sign in a 20mph zone. ' **** 255.255.255.0
  • Score: 0

1:22pm Fri 24 Feb 12

255.255.255.0 says...

jimpy0 wrote:
also correct me if wrong but the pic shows the brookhouse area - predominantly asian - and we all know how they drive ;)
stereotyping are we.. why dobnt you read the full article properly, 'Last month the Lancashire Telegraph revealed that boy-racers in the Highercroft area of Blackburn were competing to get speeds of 100mph to register on an interactive sign in a 20mph zone. ' ****
[quote][p][bold]jimpy0[/bold] wrote: also correct me if wrong but the pic shows the brookhouse area - predominantly asian - and we all know how they drive ;)[/p][/quote]stereotyping are we.. why dobnt you read the full article properly, 'Last month the Lancashire Telegraph revealed that boy-racers in the Highercroft area of Blackburn were competing to get speeds of 100mph to register on an interactive sign in a 20mph zone. ' **** 255.255.255.0
  • Score: 0

2:05pm Fri 24 Feb 12

Pan-cake says...

255.255.255.0 wrote:
jimpy0 wrote:
Why not sort out the REAL issues in this town instead of faffing and wasting money WE DO NOT HAVE !!!!!!!!!
stereotyping are we.. why dobnt you read the full article properly, 'Last month the Lancashire Telegraph revealed that boy-racers in the Highercroft area of Blackburn were competing to get speeds of 100mph to register on an interactive sign in a 20mph zone. ' ****
So the boy racers in newly restricted areas will cease their antisocial and dangerous activities because you remove a tin disc with 30 painted on it and replace it with one with 20 painted on it? Particularly with zero enforcement in prospect. Your 'aving a larf!!
[quote][p][bold]255.255.255.0[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jimpy0[/bold] wrote: Why not sort out the REAL issues in this town instead of faffing and wasting money WE DO NOT HAVE !!!!!!!!![/p][/quote]stereotyping are we.. why dobnt you read the full article properly, 'Last month the Lancashire Telegraph revealed that boy-racers in the Highercroft area of Blackburn were competing to get speeds of 100mph to register on an interactive sign in a 20mph zone. ' ****[/p][/quote]So the boy racers in newly restricted areas will cease their antisocial and dangerous activities because you remove a tin disc with 30 painted on it and replace it with one with 20 painted on it? Particularly with zero enforcement in prospect. Your 'aving a larf!! Pan-cake
  • Score: 0

2:34pm Fri 24 Feb 12

olbertz2002 says...

its worse on shadsworth road 30 zone near an infant school. i was crossing the zebra crossing yesterday and had to step back due to someone speeding and had to slam on the breaks, that road should be a 20 near schools!
its worse on shadsworth road 30 zone near an infant school. i was crossing the zebra crossing yesterday and had to step back due to someone speeding and had to slam on the breaks, that road should be a 20 near schools! olbertz2002
  • Score: 0

2:47pm Fri 24 Feb 12

s_smith says...

olbertz2002 wrote:
its worse on shadsworth road 30 zone near an infant school. i was crossing the zebra crossing yesterday and had to step back due to someone speeding and had to slam on the breaks, that road should be a 20 near schools!
Why? Have you tried driving along there when the kids are coming and going? You would be lucky to hit 10mph, let alone 20 - and that is a good thing.
.
But why, outside of those hours should it be a 20mph limit when it is perfectly safe to travel at 30? All it does is devalue the effectiveness of speed limits in general. Familiarity breeds contempt?
[quote][p][bold]olbertz2002[/bold] wrote: its worse on shadsworth road 30 zone near an infant school. i was crossing the zebra crossing yesterday and had to step back due to someone speeding and had to slam on the breaks, that road should be a 20 near schools![/p][/quote]Why? Have you tried driving along there when the kids are coming and going? You would be lucky to hit 10mph, let alone 20 - and that is a good thing. . But why, outside of those hours should it be a 20mph limit when it is perfectly safe to travel at 30? All it does is devalue the effectiveness of speed limits in general. Familiarity breeds contempt? s_smith
  • Score: 0

2:58pm Fri 24 Feb 12

s_smith says...

And more to the point, do you really think that the driver of the vehicle that wasn't stopping for you on the crossing would have been behaving any differently if it had been a 20mph zone?
.
It is all psychological; it keeps residents quiet, it makes the council look like its doing something about "speeders" and it pacifies the road safety lobby. None of it changes the fact that very rarely are traffic speeds in 20mph zones significantly changed (the "before" figures are usually around 20mph or lower anyway).
.
One project to look at is Portsmouth, where KSI's increased after the introduction of the 20mph zone and average traffic speeds fell by just over 1mph and even less than that in some places. Is that REALLY value for money? Especially when there are dangerous junctions which can be totally eradicated or altered for less money giving greater benefits for ALL road users.
.
Have BwD studied the effects of their existing 20mph zones? Are they any safer than they were before? Have speeds fallen? How do they compare to similar areas with 30mph limits?
.
My gut feeling tells me that all things being equal, there is no difference whatsoever and that the zones are mere political pandering.
And more to the point, do you really think that the driver of the vehicle that wasn't stopping for you on the crossing would have been behaving any differently if it had been a 20mph zone? . It is all psychological; it keeps residents quiet, it makes the council look like its doing something about "speeders" and it pacifies the road safety lobby. None of it changes the fact that very rarely are traffic speeds in 20mph zones significantly changed (the "before" figures are usually around 20mph or lower anyway). . One project to look at is Portsmouth, where KSI's increased after the introduction of the 20mph zone and average traffic speeds fell by just over 1mph and even less than that in some places. Is that REALLY value for money? Especially when there are dangerous junctions which can be totally eradicated or altered for less money giving greater benefits for ALL road users. . Have BwD studied the effects of their existing 20mph zones? Are they any safer than they were before? Have speeds fallen? How do they compare to similar areas with 30mph limits? . My gut feeling tells me that all things being equal, there is no difference whatsoever and that the zones are mere political pandering. s_smith
  • Score: 0

4:57pm Fri 24 Feb 12

woolywords says...

Some years ago, I used to live in the Brookhouse area and to be honest, I would never advise anyone to go any where near that area, either as a driver or pedestrian. It was, and I have no doubts that it has not improved by the one-way system, an absolute nightmare to drive through.
At that time, I lived on Altom St, just a few yards from it's junction with Limbrick and it used to take me at least 10 minutes to get into the street.
If mosque/madrassa times by virtue of the time of year coincided, I used to abandon my car on Wellington St as it was total gridlock...
Yet, in the 2 years I lived there, 7 children were injured by the traffic, 3 of these while cars were reversing to make a turn.
In each of these incidents speed was not the issue but solely due to carelessness.
On Limbrick, there is a speed indicator matrix, just like the one at Highercroft, admittedly it's on a hill but that should make no matter. What does is the fact, as reported in this article, some see it as a challenge to thier driving skills or lack thereof. Again, in the same period as mentioned earlier, another 9 cars were involved in 'accidents', fortunately only requiring a tow truck and not an ambulance.

It used to be my habit, along with my mate, to have a meal in Shandar, where we would watch people race each other around the block formed by Victoria, Randall Sts and Whalley Range.
The start/finish line being the zebra crossing on Whalley Range. So for anyone to spend my money on signage in any area needs to live in the area before they make the decision.

It's funny how we have all the people driving high perfomance or tweaked cars, yet the number of people in this area owning the RAC Competitors Licence couldn't match the number of Smarties in a tube.
Yet we have all these smarties and a few tubes to spare, showing off thier driving skills except when it snows...
And if you can find anything racist in this, 'you are a better man than I am..'
Some years ago, I used to live in the Brookhouse area and to be honest, I would never advise anyone to go any where near that area, either as a driver or pedestrian. It was, and I have no doubts that it has not improved by the one-way system, an absolute nightmare to drive through. At that time, I lived on Altom St, just a few yards from it's junction with Limbrick and it used to take me at least 10 minutes to get into the street. If mosque/madrassa times by virtue of the time of year coincided, I used to abandon my car on Wellington St as it was total gridlock... Yet, in the 2 years I lived there, 7 children were injured by the traffic, 3 of these while cars were reversing to make a turn. In each of these incidents speed was not the issue but solely due to carelessness. On Limbrick, there is a speed indicator matrix, just like the one at Highercroft, admittedly it's on a hill but that should make no matter. What does is the fact, as reported in this article, some see it as a challenge to thier driving skills or lack thereof. Again, in the same period as mentioned earlier, another 9 cars were involved in 'accidents', fortunately only requiring a tow truck and not an ambulance. It used to be my habit, along with my mate, to have a meal in Shandar, where we would watch people race each other around the block formed by Victoria, Randall Sts and Whalley Range. The start/finish line being the zebra crossing on Whalley Range. So for anyone to spend my money on signage in any area needs to live in the area before they make the decision. It's funny how we have all the people driving high perfomance or tweaked cars, yet the number of people in this area owning the RAC Competitors Licence couldn't match the number of Smarties in a tube. Yet we have all these smarties and a few tubes to spare, showing off thier driving skills except when it snows... And if you can find anything racist in this, 'you are a better man than I am..' woolywords
  • Score: 0

7:20pm Fri 24 Feb 12

darwen sense says...

What a joke! The do-gooders trying to ruin it for the rest of us again. Can you imagine how things would come to a halt on the roads of we all drive at 20mph! Typical liberal idea, which isnt workable in the real world the rest of us live in.
What a joke! The do-gooders trying to ruin it for the rest of us again. Can you imagine how things would come to a halt on the roads of we all drive at 20mph! Typical liberal idea, which isnt workable in the real world the rest of us live in. darwen sense
  • Score: 0

8:44pm Fri 24 Feb 12

MrMungus says...

But the scum bags have already do this over here on the coast. It makes no difference, even the police ignore it. Total waste of time and money.
But the scum bags have already do this over here on the coast. It makes no difference, even the police ignore it. Total waste of time and money. MrMungus
  • Score: 0

8:47pm Fri 24 Feb 12

ste.g says...

the legal minimum speed limit is 30mph.
how are you going to enforce a 20mph limit when no laws are being broken?
the legal minimum speed limit is 30mph. how are you going to enforce a 20mph limit when no laws are being broken? ste.g
  • Score: 0

10:56pm Fri 24 Feb 12

Keep Darwen Green says...

Better to just fill the pot holes instead then we can all drive a 30 nice and safely.
As I mentioned before if you want to reduce accidents just ban the under 25s from driving and make them use public transport sorted
Better to just fill the pot holes instead then we can all drive a 30 nice and safely. As I mentioned before if you want to reduce accidents just ban the under 25s from driving and make them use public transport sorted Keep Darwen Green
  • Score: 0

8:48am Sat 25 Feb 12

blackburnmum says...

I dont need a '20' limit sign to tell me how to drive safely in built up areas!
I dont need a '20' limit sign to tell me how to drive safely in built up areas! blackburnmum
  • Score: 0

9:07am Sat 25 Feb 12

philmoulden says...

learn to cross the road whilst looking ,simples
learn to cross the road whilst looking ,simples philmoulden
  • Score: 0

10:24am Sat 25 Feb 12

louderfasterlonger says...

Think Councillor Foster has his response now -
Do NOT spend our council tax on expensive consultation processes.
Think Councillor Foster has his response now - Do NOT spend our council tax on expensive consultation processes. louderfasterlonger
  • Score: 0

10:29am Sat 25 Feb 12

louderfasterlonger says...

Keep Darwen Green wrote:
Better to just fill the pot holes instead then we can all drive a 30 nice and safely.
As I mentioned before if you want to reduce accidents just ban the under 25s from driving and make them use public transport sorted
You have said this time and again KDG..... perhaps you have a point.... my kids won't be learning to drive at my expense at 17 as I did.
It's nothing to do with my fear for their safety though, but because they will expect me to pay their insurance at around £3000 per year.
[quote][p][bold]Keep Darwen Green[/bold] wrote: Better to just fill the pot holes instead then we can all drive a 30 nice and safely. As I mentioned before if you want to reduce accidents just ban the under 25s from driving and make them use public transport sorted[/p][/quote]You have said this time and again KDG..... perhaps you have a point.... my kids won't be learning to drive at my expense at 17 as I did. It's nothing to do with my fear for their safety though, but because they will expect me to pay their insurance at around £3000 per year. louderfasterlonger
  • Score: 0

10:43am Sat 25 Feb 12

Keep Darwen Green says...

louderfasterlonger wrote:
Keep Darwen Green wrote:
Better to just fill the pot holes instead then we can all drive a 30 nice and safely.
As I mentioned before if you want to reduce accidents just ban the under 25s from driving and make them use public transport sorted
You have said this time and again KDG..... perhaps you have a point.... my kids won't be learning to drive at my expense at 17 as I did.
It's nothing to do with my fear for their safety though, but because they will expect me to pay their insurance at around £3000 per year.
The latest money making scam from the insurance companies, I'm actually suprised there are any young drivers at all. I wonder if they pay councils not to fill pot holes? What happened to the pot hole watch scheme set up by the telegraph? has it fallen down a hole? So far in the last 2 years I've had all four suspension springs changed because they had snapped. I don't speed, I have no points yet the bottom of my car has nearly been ripped off on many an occasion. I don't have it in for under 25s its just that they keep killing themselves by driving like maniacs. I like young people and I want them to live a long time:0)
[quote][p][bold]louderfasterlonger[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Keep Darwen Green[/bold] wrote: Better to just fill the pot holes instead then we can all drive a 30 nice and safely. As I mentioned before if you want to reduce accidents just ban the under 25s from driving and make them use public transport sorted[/p][/quote]You have said this time and again KDG..... perhaps you have a point.... my kids won't be learning to drive at my expense at 17 as I did. It's nothing to do with my fear for their safety though, but because they will expect me to pay their insurance at around £3000 per year.[/p][/quote]The latest money making scam from the insurance companies, I'm actually suprised there are any young drivers at all. I wonder if they pay councils not to fill pot holes? What happened to the pot hole watch scheme set up by the telegraph? has it fallen down a hole? So far in the last 2 years I've had all four suspension springs changed because they had snapped. I don't speed, I have no points yet the bottom of my car has nearly been ripped off on many an occasion. I don't have it in for under 25s its just that they keep killing themselves by driving like maniacs. I like young people and I want them to live a long time:0) Keep Darwen Green
  • Score: 0

12:57pm Sat 25 Feb 12

s_smith says...

KDG, it says a lot about your driving if you cannot keep a good enough lookout and choose a correct speed to avoid hitting holes that damage your vehicle.
.
I wouldn't be worrying about under 25's my good man...
KDG, it says a lot about your driving if you cannot keep a good enough lookout and choose a correct speed to avoid hitting holes that damage your vehicle. . I wouldn't be worrying about under 25's my good man... s_smith
  • Score: 0

3:27pm Sat 25 Feb 12

Keep Darwen Green says...

s_smith wrote:
KDG, it says a lot about your driving if you cannot keep a good enough lookout and choose a correct speed to avoid hitting holes that damage your vehicle.
.
I wouldn't be worrying about under 25's my good man...
Sorry but I tend to watch the road for under 25 maniac drivers hence missing the holes but having no accidents with other cars. I pay my road tax and expect the highways to be maintained such that I don't have to look for holes in the road, sometimes they are impossible to avoid without going onto the other side which is impossible if something is coming the other way. So on that score I think you are wrong. The main problem is. as in the photo, there are too many cars on the road, cars parked both sides on narrow streets is ridiculous, one side should be double yellowed, the other side should be ample.
[quote][p][bold]s_smith[/bold] wrote: KDG, it says a lot about your driving if you cannot keep a good enough lookout and choose a correct speed to avoid hitting holes that damage your vehicle. . I wouldn't be worrying about under 25's my good man...[/p][/quote]Sorry but I tend to watch the road for under 25 maniac drivers hence missing the holes but having no accidents with other cars. I pay my road tax and expect the highways to be maintained such that I don't have to look for holes in the road, sometimes they are impossible to avoid without going onto the other side which is impossible if something is coming the other way. So on that score I think you are wrong. The main problem is. as in the photo, there are too many cars on the road, cars parked both sides on narrow streets is ridiculous, one side should be double yellowed, the other side should be ample. Keep Darwen Green
  • Score: 0

10:10pm Sat 25 Feb 12

unbelievable says...

Well - the Liberal-Democrats are at it again .

Yep - the weardie-beardie brigade .

So , they want us to save the planet , by using less fuel , and driving at 20mph .

Hmmm....
Drive at 30mph , probably in 3rd or 4th gear .
Drive at 20mph , probably in 2nd or 3rd gear .

So - on a given mileage - you are using more petrol/diesel .
Very well thought out Libbies .

Matches your "saving-the-planet" ideas by not using deoderants - come on , wearing socks and sandals ?

Bit of soap won't hurt .
Well - the Liberal-Democrats are at it again . Yep - the weardie-beardie brigade . So , they want us to save the planet , by using less fuel , and driving at 20mph . Hmmm.... Drive at 30mph , probably in 3rd or 4th gear . Drive at 20mph , probably in 2nd or 3rd gear . So - on a given mileage - you are using more petrol/diesel . Very well thought out Libbies . Matches your "saving-the-planet" ideas by not using deoderants - come on , wearing socks and sandals ? Bit of soap won't hurt . unbelievable
  • Score: 0

8:29am Sun 26 Feb 12

martindonnelly says...

This has nothing to do with the Council as some readers have bizarrely suggested above. This is a cynical Lib Dem pre-election ploy to distract attention away from the fact they are playing a role in destroying jobs and the economy through cuts not to mention privatising the NHS. Not once has Cllr Foster criticised his party's health reform plans despite most of the NHS professionals coming out against. I think he'd have a lot more credibility if he campaigned on something that actually meant something to people like the NHS or jobs rather than 20mph zones which are simply non-enforceable as a result of the massive cuts inflicted on the police.
This has nothing to do with the Council as some readers have bizarrely suggested above. This is a cynical Lib Dem pre-election ploy to distract attention away from the fact they are playing a role in destroying jobs and the economy through cuts not to mention privatising the NHS. Not once has Cllr Foster criticised his party's health reform plans despite most of the NHS professionals coming out against. I think he'd have a lot more credibility if he campaigned on something that actually meant something to people like the NHS or jobs rather than 20mph zones which are simply non-enforceable as a result of the massive cuts inflicted on the police. martindonnelly
  • Score: 0

10:37am Sun 26 Feb 12

jack daniels says...

Keep Darwen Green wrote:
louderfasterlonger wrote:
Keep Darwen Green wrote:
Better to just fill the pot holes instead then we can all drive a 30 nice and safely.
As I mentioned before if you want to reduce accidents just ban the under 25s from driving and make them use public transport sorted
You have said this time and again KDG..... perhaps you have a point.... my kids won't be learning to drive at my expense at 17 as I did.
It's nothing to do with my fear for their safety though, but because they will expect me to pay their insurance at around £3000 per year.
The latest money making scam from the insurance companies, I'm actually suprised there are any young drivers at all. I wonder if they pay councils not to fill pot holes? What happened to the pot hole watch scheme set up by the telegraph? has it fallen down a hole? So far in the last 2 years I've had all four suspension springs changed because they had snapped. I don't speed, I have no points yet the bottom of my car has nearly been ripped off on many an occasion. I don't have it in for under 25s its just that they keep killing themselves by driving like maniacs. I like young people and I want them to live a long time:0)
You criticise young people for their driving yet you can't even drive yourself. In all my time behind the wheel I've never damaged the bottom of me car or replaced my suspension. It sounds more like careless driving on your part.
[quote][p][bold]Keep Darwen Green[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]louderfasterlonger[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Keep Darwen Green[/bold] wrote: Better to just fill the pot holes instead then we can all drive a 30 nice and safely. As I mentioned before if you want to reduce accidents just ban the under 25s from driving and make them use public transport sorted[/p][/quote]You have said this time and again KDG..... perhaps you have a point.... my kids won't be learning to drive at my expense at 17 as I did. It's nothing to do with my fear for their safety though, but because they will expect me to pay their insurance at around £3000 per year.[/p][/quote]The latest money making scam from the insurance companies, I'm actually suprised there are any young drivers at all. I wonder if they pay councils not to fill pot holes? What happened to the pot hole watch scheme set up by the telegraph? has it fallen down a hole? So far in the last 2 years I've had all four suspension springs changed because they had snapped. I don't speed, I have no points yet the bottom of my car has nearly been ripped off on many an occasion. I don't have it in for under 25s its just that they keep killing themselves by driving like maniacs. I like young people and I want them to live a long time:0)[/p][/quote]You criticise young people for their driving yet you can't even drive yourself. In all my time behind the wheel I've never damaged the bottom of me car or replaced my suspension. It sounds more like careless driving on your part. jack daniels
  • Score: 0

8:20pm Sun 26 Feb 12

english rose 1 says...

Your ferret stinks wrote:
Exactly how would this be policed? ever tried to drive a flash motor at 20mph?

So that means less people coming to town then, rendering the Mall a waste of money...my word BwDC you really do hate drivers don't you?
YFS - don't have a go at BwDC for this - it is only the idea of the Lib-Dem leader - the same guy who voted for the one way bus lane from Darwen-Blackburn !
*
What you really mean is that the Lib-Dems on BwDC hate drivers ?
*
As has been said above it would be way too expensive to introduce (because of the cost of signage) and enforcement would be virtually impossible - made worse by the ConDem cuts of 20% to the police budget !
*
In addition there are only 6 Lib-Dem Councillors on BwDC - which is likely to reduce after the May election.
*
So this idea has no chance of being implemented.
[quote][p][bold]Your ferret stinks[/bold] wrote: Exactly how would this be policed? ever tried to drive a flash motor at 20mph? So that means less people coming to town then, rendering the Mall a waste of money...my word BwDC you really do hate drivers don't you?[/p][/quote]YFS - don't have a go at BwDC for this - it is only the idea of the Lib-Dem leader - the same guy who voted for the one way bus lane from Darwen-Blackburn ! * What you really mean is that the Lib-Dems on BwDC hate drivers ? * As has been said above it would be way too expensive to introduce (because of the cost of signage) and enforcement would be virtually impossible - made worse by the ConDem cuts of 20% to the police budget ! * In addition there are only 6 Lib-Dem Councillors on BwDC - which is likely to reduce after the May election. * So this idea has no chance of being implemented. english rose 1
  • Score: 0

4:04pm Mon 27 Feb 12

Your ferret stinks says...

english rose 1 wrote:
Your ferret stinks wrote:
Exactly how would this be policed? ever tried to drive a flash motor at 20mph?

So that means less people coming to town then, rendering the Mall a waste of money...my word BwDC you really do hate drivers don't you?
YFS - don't have a go at BwDC for this - it is only the idea of the Lib-Dem leader - the same guy who voted for the one way bus lane from Darwen-Blackburn !
*
What you really mean is that the Lib-Dems on BwDC hate drivers ?
*
As has been said above it would be way too expensive to introduce (because of the cost of signage) and enforcement would be virtually impossible - made worse by the ConDem cuts of 20% to the police budget !
*
In addition there are only 6 Lib-Dem Councillors on BwDC - which is likely to reduce after the May election.
*
So this idea has no chance of being implemented.
ER1 Yes guess your right on that.
On another point why are there more and more streets being closed to Joe Public and made solely for buses and taxis because before long we are all going to have to apply for a taxi licence if we ever want to drive into Blackburn town centre! and they have just spent all that money on the Mall....seems a bit strange.
[quote][p][bold]english rose 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Your ferret stinks[/bold] wrote: Exactly how would this be policed? ever tried to drive a flash motor at 20mph? So that means less people coming to town then, rendering the Mall a waste of money...my word BwDC you really do hate drivers don't you?[/p][/quote]YFS - don't have a go at BwDC for this - it is only the idea of the Lib-Dem leader - the same guy who voted for the one way bus lane from Darwen-Blackburn ! * What you really mean is that the Lib-Dems on BwDC hate drivers ? * As has been said above it would be way too expensive to introduce (because of the cost of signage) and enforcement would be virtually impossible - made worse by the ConDem cuts of 20% to the police budget ! * In addition there are only 6 Lib-Dem Councillors on BwDC - which is likely to reduce after the May election. * So this idea has no chance of being implemented.[/p][/quote]ER1 Yes guess your right on that. On another point why are there more and more streets being closed to Joe Public and made solely for buses and taxis because before long we are all going to have to apply for a taxi licence if we ever want to drive into Blackburn town centre! and they have just spent all that money on the Mall....seems a bit strange. Your ferret stinks
  • Score: 0

5:31pm Mon 27 Feb 12

britguy says...

This is a classic. While Rome burns nero plays the violin.
With all that is wrong at the moment only the sandle wearing Liberals could come up with this. We cant fill the potholes, services are being cut,the police force is being cut, hospital budgets are being cut and the Liberals answer....lets spend money on 20 mph signs that most will ignore.
It could only come from the drips in the Liberal party.
But I tell you what, I bet it goes through because this comes from a higher authority than the libetral party.
This is a classic. While Rome burns nero plays the violin. With all that is wrong at the moment only the sandle wearing Liberals could come up with this. We cant fill the potholes, services are being cut,the police force is being cut, hospital budgets are being cut and the Liberals answer....lets spend money on 20 mph signs that most will ignore. It could only come from the drips in the Liberal party. But I tell you what, I bet it goes through because this comes from a higher authority than the libetral party. britguy
  • Score: 0

12:42am Tue 28 Feb 12

SirSteve says...

unbelievable wrote:
Well - the Liberal-Democrats are at it again .

Yep - the weardie-beardie brigade .

So , they want us to save the planet , by using less fuel , and driving at 20mph .

Hmmm....
Drive at 30mph , probably in 3rd or 4th gear .
Drive at 20mph , probably in 2nd or 3rd gear .

So - on a given mileage - you are using more petrol/diesel .
Very well thought out Libbies .

Matches your "saving-the-pla
net" ideas by not using deoderants - come on , wearing socks and sandals ?

Bit of soap won't hurt .
A win-win situation for the gov., you'll use more fuel trying to keep below the limit, which equals more tax revenue, and they'll fine more "speeders".
Also, the "higher than average" accident rate wouldn't have anything to do with all the crash for cash scams would it?
On the issue of speed bumps, if they say they are no longer required, why did they repair all the ones on Rothesay road before they filled in the pot-holes there, even though it's already a 20 limit? Isuspect this has nothing to do with safety and all to do with bleeding motorists dry... again.
[quote][p][bold]unbelievable[/bold] wrote: Well - the Liberal-Democrats are at it again . Yep - the weardie-beardie brigade . So , they want us to save the planet , by using less fuel , and driving at 20mph . Hmmm.... Drive at 30mph , probably in 3rd or 4th gear . Drive at 20mph , probably in 2nd or 3rd gear . So - on a given mileage - you are using more petrol/diesel . Very well thought out Libbies . Matches your "saving-the-pla net" ideas by not using deoderants - come on , wearing socks and sandals ? Bit of soap won't hurt .[/p][/quote]A win-win situation for the gov., you'll use more fuel trying to keep below the limit, which equals more tax revenue, and they'll fine more "speeders". Also, the "higher than average" accident rate wouldn't have anything to do with all the crash for cash scams would it? On the issue of speed bumps, if they say they are no longer required, why did they repair all the ones on Rothesay road before they filled in the pot-holes there, even though it's already a 20 limit? Isuspect this has nothing to do with safety and all to do with bleeding motorists dry... again. SirSteve
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree