Jack Straw calls for complete reform of motor insurance industry

This Is Lancashire: COMMUNITY COMPLAINTS Blackburn MP Jack Straw COMMUNITY COMPLAINTS Blackburn MP Jack Straw

BLACKBURN MP Jack Straw said he would ‘not rest’ until there had been a complete reform of the motor insurance industry.

Last year Mr Straw revealed the industry’s ‘dirty secret’ – that companies themselves were selling on clients’ details to personal injury firms for between £200 and £1,000 a time – was to blame for rocketing motor insurance premiums in East Lancashire.

The MP’s findings inspired a campaign for referral fees to be outlawed; the no-win-no-fee system overhauled; the law on whiplash damages changed to require a stricter burden of proof; a clampdown on the trade in personal data; and tighter regulations of claims companies.

Yesterday, a report on the cost of motor insurance by the Transport Select Committee supported a number of Mr Straw’s calls, but said referral fees should not be banned altogether.

Stepping up his campaign, Mr Straw said: “The reason I am on to this is because of complaints from members of all the community in Blackburn about the high level of insurance premiums, and the fact that for young people, it is sometimes impossible to get insurance at all, except for ridiculous costs, which are pricing them out of the market.

“Recently I had a case where a lady was in the Tesco car park and, as can happen, she put it in reverse by mistake and went into the back of the car behind her.

“She had only moved two yards, so she hadn’t got up to speed, but she slightly damaged the other guy’s bumper.

“She said she would pay and exchanged details with the guy to avoid going through the insur-ance companies, but the next thing she received letters from three firms of solicitors saying there were four occupants in the car and that they were all suing for whiplash.

“She has actually settled in one of the cases.

“According to the data, people in the North West have much weaker necks than people in the South of England and Scotland, which is just ridiculous.

“The whole series is an interlinked racket, and the insurance companies know this is the case. I’m not going to rest until it is sorted.”

Following Mr Straw’s comments on national radio, thousands of people lent their support through social networking site, Twitter.

Nick Starling, director of general insurance at the Association of British Insurers, said: “Referral fees should be banned altogether and not made more transparent – and that ban should apply to all organis-ations receiving them, not just insurers.”

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:31pm Fri 13 Jan 12

RK says...

Well Jack, we all know who the worst offenders are regarding 'injuries' don't we? Yes, it's your constituents - the crash for cash scammers.
Well Jack, we all know who the worst offenders are regarding 'injuries' don't we? Yes, it's your constituents - the crash for cash scammers. RK
  • Score: 0

4:38pm Fri 13 Jan 12

ste.g says...

good for you jack keep up the pressure.
while your at it my buildings and contents insurance went up just over £200.00 this year.the reason they gave was its the bb postcode?????looks to me they are trying it on because they have got away with it to long with the car insurance racket..
needless to say i went else where.
good for you jack keep up the pressure. while your at it my buildings and contents insurance went up just over £200.00 this year.the reason they gave was its the bb postcode?????looks to me they are trying it on because they have got away with it to long with the car insurance racket.. needless to say i went else where. ste.g
  • Score: 0

4:45pm Fri 13 Jan 12

ghanto says...

People are very clever
slight bump and goes straight to solicitors next day for whiplash

i think from my view there should be no such claim for personal injuries from 3rd party but only can claim under thier own insurances

mistakes can be discussed internally between both insurance co
People are very clever slight bump and goes straight to solicitors next day for whiplash i think from my view there should be no such claim for personal injuries from 3rd party but only can claim under thier own insurances mistakes can be discussed internally between both insurance co ghanto
  • Score: 0

4:55pm Fri 13 Jan 12

Izanears says...

Jack Straw very convienently forgets that it was he who passed the legislation that brought in the NO WIN NO FEE system. Without this ambulance chasing mess up, there would not be these whip lash claims etc etc
Jack Straw very convienently forgets that it was he who passed the legislation that brought in the NO WIN NO FEE system. Without this ambulance chasing mess up, there would not be these whip lash claims etc etc Izanears
  • Score: 0

5:50pm Fri 13 Jan 12

Coeur de Lion says...

You want to be carefull Jack, you will alienate your core voters.
You want to be carefull Jack, you will alienate your core voters. Coeur de Lion
  • Score: 0

6:23pm Fri 13 Jan 12

happycyclist says...

Jack Straw finally grows a backbone and a pair of gonads in his final term as an MP.
Jack, you're so EPIC.
Jack Straw finally grows a backbone and a pair of gonads in his final term as an MP. Jack, you're so EPIC. happycyclist
  • Score: 0

7:14pm Fri 13 Jan 12

Diogenes The Cynic says...

For once the Straw Man is showing some sense... shame he wasn't so focal when on the front benches in power
For once the Straw Man is showing some sense... shame he wasn't so focal when on the front benches in power Diogenes The Cynic
  • Score: 0

7:40pm Fri 13 Jan 12

Michael@ClitheroeSince58 says...

Police to question Jack Straw over torture in Libya: Former ministers in Tony Blair's government are expected to be questioned by police over their alleged role in human rights abuses, in a new Scotland Yard investigation into how dissidents were sent to Libya to be imprisoned and tortured by Muammar Gaddafi's regime. The focus of the inquiry will be the involvement of MI6 in the arrest and rendition of two men.
Police to question Jack Straw over torture in Libya: Former ministers in Tony Blair's government are expected to be questioned by police over their alleged role in human rights abuses, in a new Scotland Yard investigation into how dissidents were sent to Libya to be imprisoned and tortured by Muammar Gaddafi's regime. The focus of the inquiry will be the involvement of MI6 in the arrest and rendition of two men. Michael@ClitheroeSince58
  • Score: 0

8:47pm Fri 13 Jan 12

QuarryGang78 says...

Michael@ClitheroeSin
ce58
wrote:
Police to question Jack Straw over torture in Libya: Former ministers in Tony Blair's government are expected to be questioned by police over their alleged role in human rights abuses, in a new Scotland Yard investigation into how dissidents were sent to Libya to be imprisoned and tortured by Muammar Gaddafi's regime. The focus of the inquiry will be the involvement of MI6 in the arrest and rendition of two men.
Unbelievable..
[quote][p][bold]Michael@ClitheroeSin ce58[/bold] wrote: Police to question Jack Straw over torture in Libya: Former ministers in Tony Blair's government are expected to be questioned by police over their alleged role in human rights abuses, in a new Scotland Yard investigation into how dissidents were sent to Libya to be imprisoned and tortured by Muammar Gaddafi's regime. The focus of the inquiry will be the involvement of MI6 in the arrest and rendition of two men.[/p][/quote]Unbelievable.. QuarryGang78
  • Score: 0

11:12pm Fri 13 Jan 12

retired one says...

This needs sorting out as soon as possible. Too late for me this time, I have recently got my hyped-up quote, without having any claims whatsoever in all the years I have been driving.
My insurance used to be less each year until these unscrupulous scammers came on the scene. They need to be sorted out once and for all.
This needs sorting out as soon as possible. Too late for me this time, I have recently got my hyped-up quote, without having any claims whatsoever in all the years I have been driving. My insurance used to be less each year until these unscrupulous scammers came on the scene. They need to be sorted out once and for all. retired one
  • Score: 0

11:28pm Fri 13 Jan 12

cod_fillet says...

Well done Jack Straw... An equivalent insurance in any country in Europe costs 70% less!

This shows the collapse of the society..

Lawyers and solicitores are the very low of the society. Stop injury claims now and we'll instantly have a fairer world.
Well done Jack Straw... An equivalent insurance in any country in Europe costs 70% less! This shows the collapse of the society.. Lawyers and solicitores are the very low of the society. Stop injury claims now and we'll instantly have a fairer world. cod_fillet
  • Score: 0

12:10am Sat 14 Jan 12

nil bye mouth says...

Blackburn,Oldham,Bra
dford,Nelson, etc all areas with lots of asians all with sky high premiums i wonder why that might be ?
Blackburn,Oldham,Bra dford,Nelson, etc all areas with lots of asians all with sky high premiums i wonder why that might be ? nil bye mouth
  • Score: 0

8:39am Sat 14 Jan 12

dianeakala says...

I agree with Jack Straw, it infuriates me that people think claiming whiplash is an easy way to make money. My son recently had an accident and I could believe it when the ambulance chasers turned up at the accident scene within five minutes. They even had the cheek for a minor accident to say that they would arrange it so that the car was a write off. Needless to say my son informed his insurance. Keep up the good work Mr Straw
I agree with Jack Straw, it infuriates me that people think claiming whiplash is an easy way to make money. My son recently had an accident and I could believe it when the ambulance chasers turned up at the accident scene within five minutes. They even had the cheek for a minor accident to say that they would arrange it so that the car was a write off. Needless to say my son informed his insurance. Keep up the good work Mr Straw dianeakala
  • Score: 0

9:18am Sat 14 Jan 12

happycyclist says...

LT, please can you use a different photo of Straw? That is the sort of smug face you just want to punch.
LT, please can you use a different photo of Straw? That is the sort of smug face you just want to punch. happycyclist
  • Score: 0

9:50am Sat 14 Jan 12

Dave139 says...

Sorry this comment is not about insurance but more the plight of Jack's favourite football team. Come on Jack lend some weight to the plight of Blackburn Rovers you fast enough to back the Asian community in times of stress ie. The Power Surge so get behind the football team and let Venky's know there responsibilities regarding this team and this town.
Sorry this comment is not about insurance but more the plight of Jack's favourite football team. Come on Jack lend some weight to the plight of Blackburn Rovers you fast enough to back the Asian community in times of stress ie. The Power Surge so get behind the football team and let Venky's know there responsibilities regarding this team and this town. Dave139
  • Score: 0

12:14pm Sat 14 Jan 12

sonny says...

Im a white male 31 years old and have held a full uk driving licence for 10 years,

my driving history is 100% clean, full 10 years no claims, never been involved in an accident or car theft,ect.... and only drive a standard sizer car , yet in the last few years my car insurance has gone from around £250 a year to around a £1000 a year.

i only earn minimum wage and need a car to get to work and back every day, i do shop around very hard every year to find the lowest qoute i can.

I cant really afford to be driving anymore but their is no other reasonable straight forward way for me to get to work and i also like having a car to get out of this rotten town when i get the cahance.

Although im not a fan of politics, i have commend Jack Staw for taking on problems that really effect the normal working person.

i think car insurance shouldnt cover minor injuries like whip lash, bumps and scrapes,etc... unless you want to add it to your policy as an extra and pay a premium for it and also the postcode lottery involved in car insurance is completly unfair and lazy
Im a white male 31 years old and have held a full uk driving licence for 10 years, my driving history is 100% clean, full 10 years no claims, never been involved in an accident or car theft,ect.... and only drive a standard sizer car , yet in the last few years my car insurance has gone from around £250 a year to around a £1000 a year. i only earn minimum wage and need a car to get to work and back every day, i do shop around very hard every year to find the lowest qoute i can. I cant really afford to be driving anymore but their is no other reasonable straight forward way for me to get to work and i also like having a car to get out of this rotten town when i get the cahance. Although im not a fan of politics, i have commend Jack Staw for taking on problems that really effect the normal working person. i think car insurance shouldnt cover minor injuries like whip lash, bumps and scrapes,etc... unless you want to add it to your policy as an extra and pay a premium for it and also the postcode lottery involved in car insurance is completly unfair and lazy sonny
  • Score: 0

12:22pm Sat 14 Jan 12

sonny says...

All the comments criticing jack straw for various things are completly off point and its the people that write these sorts of things that stop anything good happening, all because a tiny minority of small minded cynicism people cant keep their dum opinions to themselves.


the most dangerous thing in the modern world-An Idiot with an opinion and a platform to shout it from.
All the comments criticing jack straw for various things are completly off point and its the people that write these sorts of things that stop anything good happening, all because a tiny minority of small minded cynicism people cant keep their dum opinions to themselves. the most dangerous thing in the modern world-An Idiot with an opinion and a platform to shout it from. sonny
  • Score: 0

2:55pm Sat 14 Jan 12

RAyzer says...

is this man for real????everyone knows the TYPE who scam the insurance company's,surely they should have to pay extra not us!!
is this man for real????everyone knows the TYPE who scam the insurance company's,surely they should have to pay extra not us!! RAyzer
  • Score: 0

9:58pm Sat 14 Jan 12

district01 says...

sonny wrote:
All the comments criticing jack straw for various things are completly off point and its the people that write these sorts of things that stop anything good happening, all because a tiny minority of small minded cynicism people cant keep their dum opinions to themselves.


the most dangerous thing in the modern world-An Idiot with an opinion and a platform to shout it from.
“the most dangerous thing in the modern world - An Idiot with an opinion and a platform to shout it from“

Please, stop calling Jack Straw names. The lies that caused our troubles in Iraq was just a mistake, some wsuld say?

Jack Straw - The self congratulating trumpeter!
[quote][p][bold]sonny[/bold] wrote: All the comments criticing jack straw for various things are completly off point and its the people that write these sorts of things that stop anything good happening, all because a tiny minority of small minded cynicism people cant keep their dum opinions to themselves. the most dangerous thing in the modern world-An Idiot with an opinion and a platform to shout it from.[/p][/quote]“the most dangerous thing in the modern world - An Idiot with an opinion and a platform to shout it from“ Please, stop calling Jack Straw names. The lies that caused our troubles in Iraq was just a mistake, some wsuld say? Jack Straw - The self congratulating trumpeter! district01
  • Score: 0

11:33pm Sat 14 Jan 12

sonny says...

As i said im not a fan of politics especially international hipocracy, id never vote for jack straw or any other politician from the labour regime he was part of, jack straw, tony blair, etc, will have to live with the decisions they made for the redt of their lives,
but in this instance he has to be commended for trying to tackle an issue that effects my day to day life in a big way financially.
As i said im not a fan of politics especially international hipocracy, id never vote for jack straw or any other politician from the labour regime he was part of, jack straw, tony blair, etc, will have to live with the decisions they made for the redt of their lives, but in this instance he has to be commended for trying to tackle an issue that effects my day to day life in a big way financially. sonny
  • Score: 0

11:45pm Sat 14 Jan 12

sonny says...

RAyzer wrote:
is this man for real????everyone knows the TYPE who scam the insurance company's,surely they should have to pay extra not us!!
evrybody does know the 'type', but we live in a country run by hypocrtical PC bureaucrats and im not just talking about the politicians its more the stupid middle class 'white' PC hypocrits that ruin this country the politicans are only interested in pleasing them because they are mainly the highest active voters.
[quote][p][bold]RAyzer[/bold] wrote: is this man for real????everyone knows the TYPE who scam the insurance company's,surely they should have to pay extra not us!![/p][/quote]evrybody does know the 'type', but we live in a country run by hypocrtical PC bureaucrats and im not just talking about the politicians its more the stupid middle class 'white' PC hypocrits that ruin this country the politicans are only interested in pleasing them because they are mainly the highest active voters. sonny
  • Score: 0

12:12pm Sun 15 Jan 12

district01 says...

Politicians?
Give them a bone (extremely high salary with all of the extravagant expenses and a retirement pension that can only be described as astronomical) followed by a pat on the head and their happiness will prevail.

Tony Blair and Gordon Browns ‘New Party‘
was a diabolical mess pretending to have been a ‘Labour Party’ that we’re still paying for today both with their monetary mismanagement and the warlike tendencies that Jack Straw also supported. But unfortunately their children are still there smiles and all just like their now extremely well off leader Tony Blair. Laughter in his case would be a better description rather than a smile!

A true ‘Labour Party’ is what we need and not Tony Blair and Gordon Brown ‘The Ed brothers’ puppets on a string continuing the misery!

Jack Straw?
Sandy Shaw come to mind!
Politicians? Give them a bone (extremely high salary with all of the extravagant expenses and a retirement pension that can only be described as astronomical) followed by a pat on the head and their happiness will prevail. Tony Blair and Gordon Browns ‘New Party‘ was a diabolical mess pretending to have been a ‘Labour Party’ that we’re still paying for today both with their monetary mismanagement and the warlike tendencies that Jack Straw also supported. But unfortunately their children are still there smiles and all just like their now extremely well off leader Tony Blair. Laughter in his case would be a better description rather than a smile! A true ‘Labour Party’ is what we need and not Tony Blair and Gordon Brown ‘The Ed brothers’ puppets on a string continuing the misery! Jack Straw? Sandy Shaw come to mind! district01
  • Score: 0

10:30pm Sun 15 Jan 12

Good call says...

sonny wrote:
RAyzer wrote:
is this man for real????everyone knows the TYPE who scam the insurance company's,surely they should have to pay extra not us!!
evrybody does know the 'type', but we live in a country run by hypocrtical PC bureaucrats and im not just talking about the politicians its more the stupid middle class 'white' PC hypocrits that ruin this country the politicans are only interested in pleasing them because they are mainly the highest active voters.
Yes or no question.Do the cash for crash scammers do it because they are Asian:NO.People don't commit crime because of their race
[quote][p][bold]sonny[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RAyzer[/bold] wrote: is this man for real????everyone knows the TYPE who scam the insurance company's,surely they should have to pay extra not us!![/p][/quote]evrybody does know the 'type', but we live in a country run by hypocrtical PC bureaucrats and im not just talking about the politicians its more the stupid middle class 'white' PC hypocrits that ruin this country the politicans are only interested in pleasing them because they are mainly the highest active voters.[/p][/quote]Yes or no question.Do the cash for crash scammers do it because they are Asian:NO.People don't commit crime because of their race Good call
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree