A CORONER has warned that recreational drug users are playing a game of ‘Russian roulette’ with their lives after finding a 29-year-old man died from a heroin overdose.
The comments were made by assistant coroner Timothy Brennand at the inquest into the death of Robert Seddon, from Farnworth, held at Bolton Coroners Court.
Paramedics found Mr Seddon dead in his bedroom on the morning of Monday, December 19 at a property in Watson Street, which he shared with his mother, Susan.
Drug paraphernalia was also discovered in the room.
The court heard that Mr Seddon, who had a history of depression and paranoia, began smoking cannabis aged 13 and had also experimented with amphetamines.
Recording a verdict of drug-related death, Mr Brennand said: “This case is yet another sad and sorry example of how so-called ‘safe drugs’ have led inextricably to the use of stronger Class A drugs.
“It is very much like a chemical game of Russian roulette with fatal consequences.”
He added: “A young life, full of promise was cut short because of a pernicious addiction to recreational drugs.
Mrs Seddon had made an emergency call on December 19 after she had been unable to get into his room and he failed to respond to her shouts and cries.
It followed two incidents in the days leading up to Mr Seddon’s death.
He was found in a ‘collapsed and unresponsive’ state near shops in Highfield Road, Farnworth, on Friday, December 16.
He was taken to hospital but discharged himself later that night and returned home telling his mother he had been knocked unconscious in a fall.
But the following day she found him collapsed on the bathroom floor of their home. He was again taken to hospital but discharged himself.
Michelle Seddon, Mr Seddon’s sister, said: “Robert was a very much loved son and brother and will be sadly missed.”