Dedicate a tree to create lasting tribute to those who served in First World War

Dedicate a tree to create lasting tribute to those who served in First World War

Dedicate a tree to create lasting tribute to those who served in First World War

First published in News
Last updated

OVER the next four years, the Woodland Trust will be commemorating the centenary of the First World War by planting millions of trees across the country — and you have the chance to create a lasting tribute to those who lived and served during the war.

The Woodland Trust is the UK’s leading woodland conservation charity, championing native woods and trees. It owns more than 1,000 sites across the UK and now has ambitious plans to create four Centenary Woods — one each in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

They will offer a unique place for reflection, with trees planted in memory of people who lived and served during the war.

Donations will play a huge part in purchasing, developing and caring for the new woods.

The Trust and the Chorley Citizen are hoping readers will donate £20 to enable the Trust to dedicate a single tree to create a lasting tribute to your ancestors, which will become part of a larger woodland story and stand as a peaceful tribute for future generations to appreciate.

So dedicating a tree in the Centenary Woods is a very personal way to commemorate those who lived and died during the First World War. And practically every family in the country has someone who gave their all and so deserves to be remembered in this way.

The Citizen would like to publish the most moving stories from local people as they dedicate their trees so please do get in touch with us.

Your local paper will be paid 10 per cent of donations to help pay for the cost of this appeal. The remaining 90 per cent of your donation will go to the Trust.

Comments

Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree