A DAD who was electrocuted at work had recently found out he was expecting a third child with his wife.

Jason Haslem, 24, was carrying out repairs for Blackburn firm Acme Refrigeration when he died after an electric shock last week.


His heartbroken widow Jessica said: “He was the best dad I could ever have chosen for my children.”

Mr Haslem, a gas engineer at the Whitebirk firm for almost six years, was working at a primary school in Royton, near Oldham, when he died last Thursday.

Mrs Haslem, 25, is 12 weeks’ pregnant with the couple’s third child. They already have sons Toby, four, and George, 22 months.

The full-time mum said there were ‘no words’ to describe how she felt when police called at her door.

She said: “He was so supportive of me and strived to help me and the kids as best he could. He was always looking at new things for us to do as a family.

“He was so funny. The kids would always say he was the funniest man ever. There wasn’t anyone who met him who didn’t like him.

“It’s going to take a long time for this to sink in. I knew something was up because he would always ring to speak to the kids before they went to bed.

“When that didn’t happen I knew something was up.”

The couple, who met through a mutual friend as teenagers, got married in Kendal last March.

Mr Haslem, of Penwortham, spent two spells working at Acme, joining at 18 as an apprentice and re-joining three months ago after a six-month break.

Yesterday the Health and Safety Executive visited the company’s headquarters in Philips Road, on the Whitebirk Industrial Estate, as part of the investigation into Mr Haslem’s death.

The funeral has not yet been arranged because a post-mortem examination has to be carried out Mrs Haslem said: “He was as perfect as any man could be. He will have the biggest funeral with the most people because everyone loved him.

“I’m so proud that I’m going to have three pieces of him to carry on with. The children are going to get us through this.”


Electric shock kills Blackburn worker