A BLACKBURN man fled his home after smoke began pouring out his washer dryer.

Firefighters were called to the house in Florence Street at around 9.45pm last night.

A fire service spokesman said: “The occupier was outside when we arrived and he received precautionary checks.

“We investigated to find the fuse on the washing machine had tripped and one of the moving parts had blown, producing the smoke.”

Fire crews from Blackburn helped to clear the smoke before leaving the scene, off Whalley Old Road near the A666.