A MARRIED dad-of-two has died after he was electrocuted at a primary school.

Gas engineer Jason Haslem, who worked for Blackburn firm Acme Refrigeration, was refurbishing an industrial cooker when he suffered an electric shock and never regained consciousness.


The Health and Safety Executive said it was likely to visit Acme’s headquarters today after it launched a joint investigation alongside police into the 24-year-old’s death.

Mr Haslem, who married his wife Jessica in March last year, worked out of the firm’s site in Philips Road, on the Whitebirk Industrial Estate.

The company described Mr Haslem’s death as ‘a tragic incident’.

Mr Haslem was working at Fir Bank Primary School in Royton, near Oldham, while pupils and staff were still off for the summer holidays.

Police said Mr Haslem was repairing an industrial cooker at the time of his death.

Acme, which officially rebranded as The Acme Facilities Group Limited yesterday, said: “It is with enormous sadness that we confirm the death of one of our employees, Jason Haslem.

“This is clearly a tragic incident for everyone at ACME Facilities Group Limited and for everyone who knew Jason but, above all, our thoughts and profound condolences are with Jason's wife and family.

“Our priority now is to support them, and Jason's colleagues, at what is an extremely difficult time.

“It is very important that the circumstances surrounding the incident are thoroughly investigated and we will of course continue to provide all necessary assistance to the authorities involved in that process.

“It would be wrong to say anything else whilst that investigation takes place.”

Mr Haslem, from Penwortham, near Preston, is survived by two young sons - George and Toby. His wife, Jessica, is expecting another child next year.

Hazel MacKay, head teacher at Fir Bank Primary School, in Grasmere Road school, said the work was being undertaken to refurbish the school’s kitchen.

She said: “Our thoughts are with this man’s family at this time and we offer our deepest condolences.

“The school was closed at the time this incident occurred due to the holidays. This matter is now being investigated by the Health and Safety Executive and we will co-operate fully with them.”

A spokesman for Greater Manchester police said: “At 4.45pm on Thursday, August 28, police were called to Fir Bank Primary School following reports a man had been injured in an industrial accident.

“Officers arrived and discovered a 24-year-old man had been hurt and was unconscious. Paramedics tried to revive him but the man was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.

“At this stage, it would appear to be a tragic accident and a joint investigation is underway between Greater Manchester Police and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to establish the exact circumstances leading up to this man's death.”

A spokesman for the HSE said: “We are aware that an electrician died after suffering an electric shock. The police are looking at it and if they decide there is no case for corporate manslaughter then they will hand it over to us.”

Details of Mr Haslem’s death will not be passed to the coroner for the District of Manchester North, Simon Nelson, until the police’s initial report is completed.