A 27-YEAR-OLD man has died after falling five floors down a lift shaft in a block of town centre flats.

The man — named locally as Craig Jones — had been in the lift at Marsden House with a friend, between the fourth and fifth floors, when it broke down, according to police.

It appears that the lift doors were prised open after one of the men sounded the alarm and nothing had happened.

Mr Jones then fell through the gap and down to the bottom of the shaft.

The emergency services were called to the flats, in Marsden Road, in Bolton town centre, at about 4.50pm on Saturday, and Mr Jones was rushed to Salford Royal Hospital, where he was pronounced dead about five hours later.

Police say there are no suspicious circumstances and have passed the matter over to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

It is understood Mr Jones had lived in Marsden House for several years and worked as a plasterer.

An HSE spokesman said: "That incident has been reported to us and we are currently making enquiries."

A fire service spokesman said one of their trauma technicians gave CPR to Mr Jones at the scene before he was taken to hospital.

Carl Whittaker, a parking attendant at St Edmund’s Street Car Park opposite, said he knew the victim by sight as he kept his van there.


Mr Whittaker said: “He was a nice lad. I have spoken to him a number of times.

“I was shocked when I heard. I can picture his face. He came in every day at 5pm when he got back from work.

“I just can’t get my head round how he came to fall down the gap.”

Tributes to Mr Jones, who was nicknamed Pugsley, have poured in on social media, with Jade Oldham posting on Facebook: “Words can't even describe how devastated I am tonight! Lost the nicest person in the world!

“Couldn't even think of a bad word to say about pugs! Love and miss you so much! Xxxxxxxx.”

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: “At about 4.50pm on Saturday, August 30, police were called to a block of flats on Marsden Road in Bolton following reports a 27-year-old man had fallen five floors down a lift shaft.

“The man and his friend had been stuck in the lift.

“There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death and GMP and the Health and Safety Executive will now be making inquiries to establish the exact circumstances surrounding his death.”