Controversial Blackburn school plans new £5m centre

An artist’s impression of how the new school will look

An artist’s impression of how the new school will look

First published in News
Last updated
This Is Lancashire: Photograph of the Author by , Local government reporter

BLACKBURN’S controversial Islamic Olive Primary School is to get a new, purpose-built home cost over five million pounds The Tauheedul Trust has applied for planning permission to construct a two storey complex on Meins Road in Beardwood next to its high-flying girls academy.

The plan will enable the school population to grow from 240 in three years groups, to 630 in seven separate year groups.

MORE TOP STORIES:

The school is currently based on Bicknell Street, Shear Brow.

Tauheedul Trust chief executive Hamid Patel said the proposal aimed to ‘offer an even better learning experience to our intake and create a new hub at the heart of the local community.’

In July a Channel Four TV documentary alleged staff at the free primary school had banned clapping and music in class.

An emergency Ofsted report cleared the school of all accusations, saying: “British values are promoted well and planning is clearly translated into practice.”

The trust’s attempt to move its boys high school to the former YMCA building at Edinburgh House on Clarence Street had to be abandoned after failing to get permission over traffic congestion and parking concerns.

The application for the new school to Blackburn with Darwen Council’s planning committee includes a detailed brief which says: “The site for the new Tauheedul Olive primary school is the part of the currently unoccupied playing areas of the former Beardwood High School in Blackburn.

"Situated on Meins Road, the proposed school will sit adjacent to the newly opened Tauheedul Islam Girls High School which occupies the bulk of the site.

“The land for the new Olive is in the ownership of the council and is no longer in use as playing fields having been initially set aside as possible school development land for primary use.

“The site comprises an old ‘redgraw sports surface’ of approximately 5000 square metres and is no longer fit for purpose, as well as a large area of derelict scrub land.”

It proposes a brand new two-storey building with 12 classrooms, 55 car parking spaces on site and a pupil drop-off facility at a ratio of one space for every 10 pupils.

Reception and infant classrooms will be located on the ground floor and junior classrooms on the first floor.

There will be a typical primary school main hall for assembly, dining, physical education, performance etc; and a small hall/ reflection space, capable of the same uses, but also be used for prayers. There will be offices, a sick bay, a staff room and external play spaces with sheltered areas.

Mr Patel said: “We are very excited. Should our application be successful, we will be able to offer an even better learning experience to our intake and create a new hub at the heart of the local community.”

Borough education boss Dave Harling said: “If this new building is an improvement. that’s good news for the education of the children.”

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:54am Wed 27 Aug 14

bow1974 says...

I for one hope they get planning permit at least then there will be more spaces freed up in our C of E high schools.Good luck
I for one hope they get planning permit at least then there will be more spaces freed up in our C of E high schools.Good luck bow1974
  • Score: 15

10:10am Wed 27 Aug 14

burner says...

TRAFFIC ????????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!
TRAFFIC ????????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! burner
  • Score: 7

10:19am Wed 27 Aug 14

Another Day says...

Time to integrate more , not segregate , even though ofsted cleared them , if nasty comments were said about them it would be a different story , it would not just be put down to staff room gossip .
This country needs to wake up and quick before its too late . There should be no religion taught at schools .
Time to integrate more , not segregate , even though ofsted cleared them , if nasty comments were said about them it would be a different story , it would not just be put down to staff room gossip . This country needs to wake up and quick before its too late . There should be no religion taught at schools . Another Day
  • Score: 41

10:37am Wed 27 Aug 14

The Open Mind says...

bow1974 wrote:
I for one hope they get planning permit at least then there will be more spaces freed up in our C of E high schools.Good luck
Rather than segregate, why not integrate? Muslims continue to make up a percentage of intake in all schools, be they C of E, RC or otherwise. I think it's now time for people of other faiths to benefit from the excellent education offered at the Islamic schools.
[quote][p][bold]bow1974[/bold] wrote: I for one hope they get planning permit at least then there will be more spaces freed up in our C of E high schools.Good luck[/p][/quote]Rather than segregate, why not integrate? Muslims continue to make up a percentage of intake in all schools, be they C of E, RC or otherwise. I think it's now time for people of other faiths to benefit from the excellent education offered at the Islamic schools. The Open Mind
  • Score: 4

10:44am Wed 27 Aug 14

roverstid says...

Please please please stop the madness!

These state permitted religious groups are nothing more than a means to meet the education rules of this country without allowing any integration between either boys and girls or any 'outside' religions and cultures.

As tolerant as I am of beliefs and cultures coming from a mixed race background myself, I am very much opposed to this state permitted segregation which only serves to promote alienation and suspicion of every other culture and religion.

Islamophobia is rife BECAUSE such segregation is allowed. No other religious groups demands seperation. There are no Jewish schools or Hindu, Sikh schools and neither do any of these religions face issues as muslims currently do in this country as highlighted in the Faith Schools expose. The C of E and RC schools exist only because the UK is a Christian country which used to have faith schools. These schools are now faith schools in name only and are state required to promote multi cultural values.

The Islamic school have no such requirements. It is an Islamic school that meets state education requirements. We cannot overcome the gulf in our communities by promoting such segregation and in a multi cultural society like ours, it should not be tolerated, let alone encouraged by allowing them to take root.

This expansion of a school already in the headlights needs to be stopped.

I have had many a conversation with my Muslim friends - some liberal, others more traditional. The pressure on our young muslim families who have integrated, to send their daughters to these schools is immense.
Scare tactics are used with examples of 'girls gone bad' are constantly hammered home to young muslim families to show the outcome of sending girls to non-Islamic schools. One such individual even described how, after sending their daughter to a state school, immense pressure from senior family members constantly harassing them because their daughter did not wear a headscarf, was less religious than they would like, forced them to reconsider and place her in said school.

These girls are picked up by pre-arranged transport and picked up and dropped off to and from the schools. They have no other interaction outside of their own and the schools allowance with any other people, cultures or religions - which I suspect is the whole point.

How can this be productive to creating a tolerant and integrated society?
Please please please stop the madness! These state permitted religious groups are nothing more than a means to meet the education rules of this country without allowing any integration between either boys and girls or any 'outside' religions and cultures. As tolerant as I am of beliefs and cultures coming from a mixed race background myself, I am very much opposed to this state permitted segregation which only serves to promote alienation and suspicion of every other culture and religion. Islamophobia is rife BECAUSE such segregation is allowed. No other religious groups demands seperation. There are no Jewish schools or Hindu, Sikh schools and neither do any of these religions face issues as muslims currently do in this country as highlighted in the Faith Schools expose. The C of E and RC schools exist only because the UK is a Christian country which used to have faith schools. These schools are now faith schools in name only and are state required to promote multi cultural values. The Islamic school have no such requirements. It is an Islamic school that meets state education requirements. We cannot overcome the gulf in our communities by promoting such segregation and in a multi cultural society like ours, it should not be tolerated, let alone encouraged by allowing them to take root. This expansion of a school already in the headlights needs to be stopped. I have had many a conversation with my Muslim friends - some liberal, others more traditional. The pressure on our young muslim families who have integrated, to send their daughters to these schools is immense. Scare tactics are used with examples of 'girls gone bad' are constantly hammered home to young muslim families to show the outcome of sending girls to non-Islamic schools. One such individual even described how, after sending their daughter to a state school, immense pressure from senior family members constantly harassing them because their daughter did not wear a headscarf, was less religious than they would like, forced them to reconsider and place her in said school. These girls are picked up by pre-arranged transport and picked up and dropped off to and from the schools. They have no other interaction outside of their own and the schools allowance with any other people, cultures or religions - which I suspect is the whole point. How can this be productive to creating a tolerant and integrated society? roverstid
  • Score: 50

10:51am Wed 27 Aug 14

Another Day says...

roverstid wrote:
Please please please stop the madness!

These state permitted religious groups are nothing more than a means to meet the education rules of this country without allowing any integration between either boys and girls or any 'outside' religions and cultures.

As tolerant as I am of beliefs and cultures coming from a mixed race background myself, I am very much opposed to this state permitted segregation which only serves to promote alienation and suspicion of every other culture and religion.

Islamophobia is rife BECAUSE such segregation is allowed. No other religious groups demands seperation. There are no Jewish schools or Hindu, Sikh schools and neither do any of these religions face issues as muslims currently do in this country as highlighted in the Faith Schools expose. The C of E and RC schools exist only because the UK is a Christian country which used to have faith schools. These schools are now faith schools in name only and are state required to promote multi cultural values.

The Islamic school have no such requirements. It is an Islamic school that meets state education requirements. We cannot overcome the gulf in our communities by promoting such segregation and in a multi cultural society like ours, it should not be tolerated, let alone encouraged by allowing them to take root.

This expansion of a school already in the headlights needs to be stopped.

I have had many a conversation with my Muslim friends - some liberal, others more traditional. The pressure on our young muslim families who have integrated, to send their daughters to these schools is immense.
Scare tactics are used with examples of 'girls gone bad' are constantly hammered home to young muslim families to show the outcome of sending girls to non-Islamic schools. One such individual even described how, after sending their daughter to a state school, immense pressure from senior family members constantly harassing them because their daughter did not wear a headscarf, was less religious than they would like, forced them to reconsider and place her in said school.

These girls are picked up by pre-arranged transport and picked up and dropped off to and from the schools. They have no other interaction outside of their own and the schools allowance with any other people, cultures or religions - which I suspect is the whole point.

How can this be productive to creating a tolerant and integrated society?
Very true , excellent comment .
[quote][p][bold]roverstid[/bold] wrote: Please please please stop the madness! These state permitted religious groups are nothing more than a means to meet the education rules of this country without allowing any integration between either boys and girls or any 'outside' religions and cultures. As tolerant as I am of beliefs and cultures coming from a mixed race background myself, I am very much opposed to this state permitted segregation which only serves to promote alienation and suspicion of every other culture and religion. Islamophobia is rife BECAUSE such segregation is allowed. No other religious groups demands seperation. There are no Jewish schools or Hindu, Sikh schools and neither do any of these religions face issues as muslims currently do in this country as highlighted in the Faith Schools expose. The C of E and RC schools exist only because the UK is a Christian country which used to have faith schools. These schools are now faith schools in name only and are state required to promote multi cultural values. The Islamic school have no such requirements. It is an Islamic school that meets state education requirements. We cannot overcome the gulf in our communities by promoting such segregation and in a multi cultural society like ours, it should not be tolerated, let alone encouraged by allowing them to take root. This expansion of a school already in the headlights needs to be stopped. I have had many a conversation with my Muslim friends - some liberal, others more traditional. The pressure on our young muslim families who have integrated, to send their daughters to these schools is immense. Scare tactics are used with examples of 'girls gone bad' are constantly hammered home to young muslim families to show the outcome of sending girls to non-Islamic schools. One such individual even described how, after sending their daughter to a state school, immense pressure from senior family members constantly harassing them because their daughter did not wear a headscarf, was less religious than they would like, forced them to reconsider and place her in said school. These girls are picked up by pre-arranged transport and picked up and dropped off to and from the schools. They have no other interaction outside of their own and the schools allowance with any other people, cultures or religions - which I suspect is the whole point. How can this be productive to creating a tolerant and integrated society?[/p][/quote]Very true , excellent comment . Another Day
  • Score: 30

11:00am Wed 27 Aug 14

roverstid says...

The Open Mind wrote:
bow1974 wrote:
I for one hope they get planning permit at least then there will be more spaces freed up in our C of E high schools.Good luck
Rather than segregate, why not integrate? Muslims continue to make up a percentage of intake in all schools, be they C of E, RC or otherwise. I think it's now time for people of other faiths to benefit from the excellent education offered at the Islamic schools.
Unfortunately, as much as this would be sound if Islamic schools are to be allowed, their is little chance of many non-muslims wanting to send their daughters to these schools when clearly they have a better chance of integration in our traditional state schools.

My understanding is that Tawheedul School IS required to open to all girls as it is state funded, but its unlikely to receive many applications outside of Muslims as it is very rooted in its Islamic traditions - and I would say they already knew this.

As said above, religion and education should be separated. It is barmy that anyone can accept that having spent an entire day at an Islamic school and then going to mosque for Islamic teachings afterwards to finish the day, that these girls will have any understanding of British values when clearly they are being force fed Islamic ones all day and the only 'British values' they will ever be exposed to will be from watching tv soaps like Eastenders and Corrie - which likely enforce the argument of the 'bad British ways' watching drunken brawls and tarted up females smoking and swearing.

Ideally it would be great to see s fully integrated Islamic school. But then - it wouldn't be an ISLAMIC school.
[quote][p][bold]The Open Mind[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bow1974[/bold] wrote: I for one hope they get planning permit at least then there will be more spaces freed up in our C of E high schools.Good luck[/p][/quote]Rather than segregate, why not integrate? Muslims continue to make up a percentage of intake in all schools, be they C of E, RC or otherwise. I think it's now time for people of other faiths to benefit from the excellent education offered at the Islamic schools.[/p][/quote]Unfortunately, as much as this would be sound if Islamic schools are to be allowed, their is little chance of many non-muslims wanting to send their daughters to these schools when clearly they have a better chance of integration in our traditional state schools. My understanding is that Tawheedul School IS required to open to all girls as it is state funded, but its unlikely to receive many applications outside of Muslims as it is very rooted in its Islamic traditions - and I would say they already knew this. As said above, religion and education should be separated. It is barmy that anyone can accept that having spent an entire day at an Islamic school and then going to mosque for Islamic teachings afterwards to finish the day, that these girls will have any understanding of British values when clearly they are being force fed Islamic ones all day and the only 'British values' they will ever be exposed to will be from watching tv soaps like Eastenders and Corrie - which likely enforce the argument of the 'bad British ways' watching drunken brawls and tarted up females smoking and swearing. Ideally it would be great to see s fully integrated Islamic school. But then - it wouldn't be an ISLAMIC school. roverstid
  • Score: 11

12:21pm Wed 27 Aug 14

The Open Mind says...

roverstid wrote:
Please please please stop the madness!

These state permitted religious groups are nothing more than a means to meet the education rules of this country without allowing any integration between either boys and girls or any 'outside' religions and cultures.

As tolerant as I am of beliefs and cultures coming from a mixed race background myself, I am very much opposed to this state permitted segregation which only serves to promote alienation and suspicion of every other culture and religion.

Islamophobia is rife BECAUSE such segregation is allowed. No other religious groups demands seperation. There are no Jewish schools or Hindu, Sikh schools and neither do any of these religions face issues as muslims currently do in this country as highlighted in the Faith Schools expose. The C of E and RC schools exist only because the UK is a Christian country which used to have faith schools. These schools are now faith schools in name only and are state required to promote multi cultural values.

The Islamic school have no such requirements. It is an Islamic school that meets state education requirements. We cannot overcome the gulf in our communities by promoting such segregation and in a multi cultural society like ours, it should not be tolerated, let alone encouraged by allowing them to take root.

This expansion of a school already in the headlights needs to be stopped.

I have had many a conversation with my Muslim friends - some liberal, others more traditional. The pressure on our young muslim families who have integrated, to send their daughters to these schools is immense.
Scare tactics are used with examples of 'girls gone bad' are constantly hammered home to young muslim families to show the outcome of sending girls to non-Islamic schools. One such individual even described how, after sending their daughter to a state school, immense pressure from senior family members constantly harassing them because their daughter did not wear a headscarf, was less religious than they would like, forced them to reconsider and place her in said school.

These girls are picked up by pre-arranged transport and picked up and dropped off to and from the schools. They have no other interaction outside of their own and the schools allowance with any other people, cultures or religions - which I suspect is the whole point.

How can this be productive to creating a tolerant and integrated society?
I'm afraid many of your opinions are based on the information provided to you by your friends/family and you have accordingly mis-branded the school.

You say there are no Jewish, Hindu or Sikh faith-based schools. Again, just because you haven't come across such schools does not mean they do not exist. A simple search on Google will show you how many we actually do have in the UK.

Yes, all state schools must promote multi-cultural values and British values, and rightly so. You mention Islamic schools have no such requirement but fail to provide evidence of this. In fact, a quick read of the latest Ofsted report for the Tauheedul School will show you how well the school is promoting these values.

You claim all girls are picked up and dropped off at the school to ensure they have no interaction outside of their own. Have you ever actually driven on Preston New Road at 3.15pm?

Although your piece is a good read, most of your claims are based on what you've heard and not on actual facts.
[quote][p][bold]roverstid[/bold] wrote: Please please please stop the madness! These state permitted religious groups are nothing more than a means to meet the education rules of this country without allowing any integration between either boys and girls or any 'outside' religions and cultures. As tolerant as I am of beliefs and cultures coming from a mixed race background myself, I am very much opposed to this state permitted segregation which only serves to promote alienation and suspicion of every other culture and religion. Islamophobia is rife BECAUSE such segregation is allowed. No other religious groups demands seperation. There are no Jewish schools or Hindu, Sikh schools and neither do any of these religions face issues as muslims currently do in this country as highlighted in the Faith Schools expose. The C of E and RC schools exist only because the UK is a Christian country which used to have faith schools. These schools are now faith schools in name only and are state required to promote multi cultural values. The Islamic school have no such requirements. It is an Islamic school that meets state education requirements. We cannot overcome the gulf in our communities by promoting such segregation and in a multi cultural society like ours, it should not be tolerated, let alone encouraged by allowing them to take root. This expansion of a school already in the headlights needs to be stopped. I have had many a conversation with my Muslim friends - some liberal, others more traditional. The pressure on our young muslim families who have integrated, to send their daughters to these schools is immense. Scare tactics are used with examples of 'girls gone bad' are constantly hammered home to young muslim families to show the outcome of sending girls to non-Islamic schools. One such individual even described how, after sending their daughter to a state school, immense pressure from senior family members constantly harassing them because their daughter did not wear a headscarf, was less religious than they would like, forced them to reconsider and place her in said school. These girls are picked up by pre-arranged transport and picked up and dropped off to and from the schools. They have no other interaction outside of their own and the schools allowance with any other people, cultures or religions - which I suspect is the whole point. How can this be productive to creating a tolerant and integrated society?[/p][/quote]I'm afraid many of your opinions are based on the information provided to you by your friends/family and you have accordingly mis-branded the school. You say there are no Jewish, Hindu or Sikh faith-based schools. Again, just because you haven't come across such schools does not mean they do not exist. A simple search on Google will show you how many we actually do have in the UK. Yes, all state schools must promote multi-cultural values and British values, and rightly so. You mention Islamic schools have no such requirement but fail to provide evidence of this. In fact, a quick read of the latest Ofsted report for the Tauheedul School will show you how well the school is promoting these values. You claim all girls are picked up and dropped off at the school to ensure they have no interaction outside of their own. Have you ever actually driven on Preston New Road at 3.15pm? Although your piece is a good read, most of your claims are based on what you've heard and not on actual facts. The Open Mind
  • Score: -5

12:34pm Wed 27 Aug 14

The Open Mind says...

roverstid wrote:
The Open Mind wrote:
bow1974 wrote:
I for one hope they get planning permit at least then there will be more spaces freed up in our C of E high schools.Good luck
Rather than segregate, why not integrate? Muslims continue to make up a percentage of intake in all schools, be they C of E, RC or otherwise. I think it's now time for people of other faiths to benefit from the excellent education offered at the Islamic schools.
Unfortunately, as much as this would be sound if Islamic schools are to be allowed, their is little chance of many non-muslims wanting to send their daughters to these schools when clearly they have a better chance of integration in our traditional state schools.

My understanding is that Tawheedul School IS required to open to all girls as it is state funded, but its unlikely to receive many applications outside of Muslims as it is very rooted in its Islamic traditions - and I would say they already knew this.

As said above, religion and education should be separated. It is barmy that anyone can accept that having spent an entire day at an Islamic school and then going to mosque for Islamic teachings afterwards to finish the day, that these girls will have any understanding of British values when clearly they are being force fed Islamic ones all day and the only 'British values' they will ever be exposed to will be from watching tv soaps like Eastenders and Corrie - which likely enforce the argument of the 'bad British ways' watching drunken brawls and tarted up females smoking and swearing.

Ideally it would be great to see s fully integrated Islamic school. But then - it wouldn't be an ISLAMIC school.
Once again, you are basing your comments not on facts, but on what you perceive.

You see the word 'Islam' in the name of the school and immediately assume the students are 'fed Islamic values all day'. However, as you mention in an earlier post, the words 'C of E' or 'RC' are just names and such schools don't promote their faith.

Why the difference? Is it due to what you PERCEIVE an Islamic school to be and what you PERCEIVE a 'CofE' or 'RC' school to be?

Perceptions can be deceptive. I invite you to read the Ofsted reports of these schools and listen to the views of the experts who have actually been inside the school, inspected the practices and observed the students.

I agree that it would be great to see a fully integrated Islamic school. Just like those Muslim parents who took the brave step of sending their children to other faith-based schools, it is now the responsibility of parents from other faiths to step up.

Let's face it, brilliant education is something these schools provide and this should be available to all our children, regardless of race or religion.
[quote][p][bold]roverstid[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Open Mind[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bow1974[/bold] wrote: I for one hope they get planning permit at least then there will be more spaces freed up in our C of E high schools.Good luck[/p][/quote]Rather than segregate, why not integrate? Muslims continue to make up a percentage of intake in all schools, be they C of E, RC or otherwise. I think it's now time for people of other faiths to benefit from the excellent education offered at the Islamic schools.[/p][/quote]Unfortunately, as much as this would be sound if Islamic schools are to be allowed, their is little chance of many non-muslims wanting to send their daughters to these schools when clearly they have a better chance of integration in our traditional state schools. My understanding is that Tawheedul School IS required to open to all girls as it is state funded, but its unlikely to receive many applications outside of Muslims as it is very rooted in its Islamic traditions - and I would say they already knew this. As said above, religion and education should be separated. It is barmy that anyone can accept that having spent an entire day at an Islamic school and then going to mosque for Islamic teachings afterwards to finish the day, that these girls will have any understanding of British values when clearly they are being force fed Islamic ones all day and the only 'British values' they will ever be exposed to will be from watching tv soaps like Eastenders and Corrie - which likely enforce the argument of the 'bad British ways' watching drunken brawls and tarted up females smoking and swearing. Ideally it would be great to see s fully integrated Islamic school. But then - it wouldn't be an ISLAMIC school.[/p][/quote]Once again, you are basing your comments not on facts, but on what you perceive. You see the word 'Islam' in the name of the school and immediately assume the students are 'fed Islamic values all day'. However, as you mention in an earlier post, the words 'C of E' or 'RC' are just names and such schools don't promote their faith. Why the difference? Is it due to what you PERCEIVE an Islamic school to be and what you PERCEIVE a 'CofE' or 'RC' school to be? Perceptions can be deceptive. I invite you to read the Ofsted reports of these schools and listen to the views of the experts who have actually been inside the school, inspected the practices and observed the students. I agree that it would be great to see a fully integrated Islamic school. Just like those Muslim parents who took the brave step of sending their children to other faith-based schools, it is now the responsibility of parents from other faiths to step up. Let's face it, brilliant education is something these schools provide and this should be available to all our children, regardless of race or religion. The Open Mind
  • Score: -1

1:07pm Wed 27 Aug 14

mavrick says...

Despite all the arguments above perhaps we could use some of their methods in our schools to raise the standards.
Despite all the arguments above perhaps we could use some of their methods in our schools to raise the standards. mavrick
  • Score: 9

1:09pm Wed 27 Aug 14

roverstid says...

The Open Mind wrote:
roverstid wrote:
The Open Mind wrote:
bow1974 wrote:
I for one hope they get planning permit at least then there will be more spaces freed up in our C of E high schools.Good luck
Rather than segregate, why not integrate? Muslims continue to make up a percentage of intake in all schools, be they C of E, RC or otherwise. I think it's now time for people of other faiths to benefit from the excellent education offered at the Islamic schools.
Unfortunately, as much as this would be sound if Islamic schools are to be allowed, their is little chance of many non-muslims wanting to send their daughters to these schools when clearly they have a better chance of integration in our traditional state schools.

My understanding is that Tawheedul School IS required to open to all girls as it is state funded, but its unlikely to receive many applications outside of Muslims as it is very rooted in its Islamic traditions - and I would say they already knew this.

As said above, religion and education should be separated. It is barmy that anyone can accept that having spent an entire day at an Islamic school and then going to mosque for Islamic teachings afterwards to finish the day, that these girls will have any understanding of British values when clearly they are being force fed Islamic ones all day and the only 'British values' they will ever be exposed to will be from watching tv soaps like Eastenders and Corrie - which likely enforce the argument of the 'bad British ways' watching drunken brawls and tarted up females smoking and swearing.

Ideally it would be great to see s fully integrated Islamic school. But then - it wouldn't be an ISLAMIC school.
Once again, you are basing your comments not on facts, but on what you perceive.

You see the word 'Islam' in the name of the school and immediately assume the students are 'fed Islamic values all day'. However, as you mention in an earlier post, the words 'C of E' or 'RC' are just names and such schools don't promote their faith.

Why the difference? Is it due to what you PERCEIVE an Islamic school to be and what you PERCEIVE a 'CofE' or 'RC' school to be?

Perceptions can be deceptive. I invite you to read the Ofsted reports of these schools and listen to the views of the experts who have actually been inside the school, inspected the practices and observed the students.

I agree that it would be great to see a fully integrated Islamic school. Just like those Muslim parents who took the brave step of sending their children to other faith-based schools, it is now the responsibility of parents from other faiths to step up.

Let's face it, brilliant education is something these schools provide and this should be available to all our children, regardless of race or religion.
Unfortunately the "emergency OFSTED report" raises its own questions..

Whilst I can accept we see things differently, discounting my post as just "percieved" when I have actually spoken to muslims who have had girls attend the school and those who have considered them, to me sounds a bit disingenuous.

If you want the truth about faith schools, I'd rather take the word of people from the community than a 'emergency ofsted report' which may just be trying to cover up a problem.

As I said before, faith and education should not mix. Asking C of E and RC schools to change their name would likely cause further disharmony and prove counter-productive. There is though a HUGE distinction between that and then emergence of Islamic schools. First of all, Islamic schools are created to further Islamic teachings just as RC and C of E were in there day.

I'd object to ANY faith school creation in this day and age. There is absolutely no need for them and they exist solely for the purpose of segregation. They may meet all the education criterias and provide excellent education, but they are doing nothing for social cohesion and are actually detrimental to integration - something we badly need to address if we want to bridge the gap that is giving voice and succour to far right groups and alienating a community which is already suffering from over decade of media fueled anti-Islamic hysteria.

I agree with you on the point of our non-muslim communities stepping up and sending their children to schools that offer the best education if it happens to be an Islamic school then so be it.

But it just isn't going to happen - maybe we need to enforce 'positive discrimination' quotas as we do with jobs to change this?
[quote][p][bold]The Open Mind[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]roverstid[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Open Mind[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bow1974[/bold] wrote: I for one hope they get planning permit at least then there will be more spaces freed up in our C of E high schools.Good luck[/p][/quote]Rather than segregate, why not integrate? Muslims continue to make up a percentage of intake in all schools, be they C of E, RC or otherwise. I think it's now time for people of other faiths to benefit from the excellent education offered at the Islamic schools.[/p][/quote]Unfortunately, as much as this would be sound if Islamic schools are to be allowed, their is little chance of many non-muslims wanting to send their daughters to these schools when clearly they have a better chance of integration in our traditional state schools. My understanding is that Tawheedul School IS required to open to all girls as it is state funded, but its unlikely to receive many applications outside of Muslims as it is very rooted in its Islamic traditions - and I would say they already knew this. As said above, religion and education should be separated. It is barmy that anyone can accept that having spent an entire day at an Islamic school and then going to mosque for Islamic teachings afterwards to finish the day, that these girls will have any understanding of British values when clearly they are being force fed Islamic ones all day and the only 'British values' they will ever be exposed to will be from watching tv soaps like Eastenders and Corrie - which likely enforce the argument of the 'bad British ways' watching drunken brawls and tarted up females smoking and swearing. Ideally it would be great to see s fully integrated Islamic school. But then - it wouldn't be an ISLAMIC school.[/p][/quote]Once again, you are basing your comments not on facts, but on what you perceive. You see the word 'Islam' in the name of the school and immediately assume the students are 'fed Islamic values all day'. However, as you mention in an earlier post, the words 'C of E' or 'RC' are just names and such schools don't promote their faith. Why the difference? Is it due to what you PERCEIVE an Islamic school to be and what you PERCEIVE a 'CofE' or 'RC' school to be? Perceptions can be deceptive. I invite you to read the Ofsted reports of these schools and listen to the views of the experts who have actually been inside the school, inspected the practices and observed the students. I agree that it would be great to see a fully integrated Islamic school. Just like those Muslim parents who took the brave step of sending their children to other faith-based schools, it is now the responsibility of parents from other faiths to step up. Let's face it, brilliant education is something these schools provide and this should be available to all our children, regardless of race or religion.[/p][/quote]Unfortunately the "emergency OFSTED report" raises its own questions.. Whilst I can accept we see things differently, discounting my post as just "percieved" when I have actually spoken to muslims who have had girls attend the school and those who have considered them, to me sounds a bit disingenuous. If you want the truth about faith schools, I'd rather take the word of people from the community than a 'emergency ofsted report' which may just be trying to cover up a problem. As I said before, faith and education should not mix. Asking C of E and RC schools to change their name would likely cause further disharmony and prove counter-productive. There is though a HUGE distinction between that and then emergence of Islamic schools. First of all, Islamic schools are created to further Islamic teachings just as RC and C of E were in there day. I'd object to ANY faith school creation in this day and age. There is absolutely no need for them and they exist solely for the purpose of segregation. They may meet all the education criterias and provide excellent education, but they are doing nothing for social cohesion and are actually detrimental to integration - something we badly need to address if we want to bridge the gap that is giving voice and succour to far right groups and alienating a community which is already suffering from over decade of media fueled anti-Islamic hysteria. I agree with you on the point of our non-muslim communities stepping up and sending their children to schools that offer the best education if it happens to be an Islamic school then so be it. But it just isn't going to happen - maybe we need to enforce 'positive discrimination' quotas as we do with jobs to change this? roverstid
  • Score: 7

1:53pm Wed 27 Aug 14

shirtbox says...

The teaching of religion in all schools should be banned,as religion is a personal thing the teaching and practice of them should be undertaken in their own time and personal or group premiseas.
The teaching of religion in all schools should be banned,as religion is a personal thing the teaching and practice of them should be undertaken in their own time and personal or group premiseas. shirtbox
  • Score: 15

3:43pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Reality50 says...

Taheedul are anti integration and are currently planning a £10 million Islamic boys school in Halliwell.Bolton too.
Taheedul are anti integration and are currently planning a £10 million Islamic boys school in Halliwell.Bolton too. Reality50
  • Score: 11

5:07pm Wed 27 Aug 14

boynesider says...

more segregation not integration breeds resentment and mistrust.we have a problem with radicalisation as we are now seeing.it's time Religion was taken out of school so there is more chance of integration.i worked in an office for a major British company in Blackburn and a lot of the young Asians ,who were British born and educated,spoke in an Asian language at work.this was purely to exclude their English speaking colleagues.when I raised this with a manager as it was against company policy,only to be told she was aware but fearful of being seen as racist if she broached this problem.we have now seen how not dealing with this fear of being branded racist when we see wrong being done, Doncaster.we need to be more assertive about lack of integration.
more segregation not integration breeds resentment and mistrust.we have a problem with radicalisation as we are now seeing.it's time Religion was taken out of school so there is more chance of integration.i worked in an office for a major British company in Blackburn and a lot of the young Asians ,who were British born and educated,spoke in an Asian language at work.this was purely to exclude their English speaking colleagues.when I raised this with a manager as it was against company policy,only to be told she was aware but fearful of being seen as racist if she broached this problem.we have now seen how not dealing with this fear of being branded racist when we see wrong being done, Doncaster.we need to be more assertive about lack of integration. boynesider
  • Score: 8

5:51pm Wed 27 Aug 14

keggard says...

Unfortunately this is happening in my home town of bolton. Muslim only schools giant super mosques all passed by the council despite more signatures against than for enough is enough these schools won't be teaching these kids about easter or Christmas etc only Muslim festivals so how are these kids ment to integrate into our society just churning out the next generation of haters
Unfortunately this is happening in my home town of bolton. Muslim only schools giant super mosques all passed by the council despite more signatures against than for enough is enough these schools won't be teaching these kids about easter or Christmas etc only Muslim festivals so how are these kids ment to integrate into our society just churning out the next generation of haters keggard
  • Score: 15

5:51pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Excluded again says...

And yet on another story on the same day in the LT a Muslim boy is getting it in the neck for having the cheek to attend a mainly Catholic school and do well. Do you want Muslims to integrate or not? Or is it criticism no matter what a Muslim does?
And yet on another story on the same day in the LT a Muslim boy is getting it in the neck for having the cheek to attend a mainly Catholic school and do well. Do you want Muslims to integrate or not? Or is it criticism no matter what a Muslim does? Excluded again
  • Score: 7

6:21pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Another Day says...

boynesider wrote:
more segregation not integration breeds resentment and mistrust.we have a problem with radicalisation as we are now seeing.it's time Religion was taken out of school so there is more chance of integration.i worked in an office for a major British company in Blackburn and a lot of the young Asians ,who were British born and educated,spoke in an Asian language at work.this was purely to exclude their English speaking colleagues.when I raised this with a manager as it was against company policy,only to be told she was aware but fearful of being seen as racist if she broached this problem.we have now seen how not dealing with this fear of being branded racist when we see wrong being done, Doncaster.we need to be more assertive about lack of integration.
I agree , I have had the same experience at work with them changing language . I just think they are cowards or two faced Barstewards . if they cant speak in English , when they clearly can .
[quote][p][bold]boynesider[/bold] wrote: more segregation not integration breeds resentment and mistrust.we have a problem with radicalisation as we are now seeing.it's time Religion was taken out of school so there is more chance of integration.i worked in an office for a major British company in Blackburn and a lot of the young Asians ,who were British born and educated,spoke in an Asian language at work.this was purely to exclude their English speaking colleagues.when I raised this with a manager as it was against company policy,only to be told she was aware but fearful of being seen as racist if she broached this problem.we have now seen how not dealing with this fear of being branded racist when we see wrong being done, Doncaster.we need to be more assertive about lack of integration.[/p][/quote]I agree , I have had the same experience at work with them changing language . I just think they are cowards or two faced Barstewards . if they cant speak in English , when they clearly can . Another Day
  • Score: 8

7:52pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Biscay says...

Excluded again wrote:
And yet on another story on the same day in the LT a Muslim boy is getting it in the neck for having the cheek to attend a mainly Catholic school and do well. Do you want Muslims to integrate or not? Or is it criticism no matter what a Muslim does?
Well having had a look at what seems to be going on at the minute in a range of Muslim countries such as:
Algeria
Egypt
Libya
Yemen
Afghanistan
Syria
Iraq
Saudia Arabia
Pakistan
Tunisia
Indonesia
You'd have to agree that Islam does seem to have an image problem?
[quote][p][bold]Excluded again[/bold] wrote: And yet on another story on the same day in the LT a Muslim boy is getting it in the neck for having the cheek to attend a mainly Catholic school and do well. Do you want Muslims to integrate or not? Or is it criticism no matter what a Muslim does?[/p][/quote]Well having had a look at what seems to be going on at the minute in a range of Muslim countries such as: Algeria Egypt Libya Yemen Afghanistan Syria Iraq Saudia Arabia Pakistan Tunisia Indonesia You'd have to agree that Islam does seem to have an image problem? Biscay
  • Score: 5

10:31pm Wed 27 Aug 14

roverstid says...

Another Day wrote:
boynesider wrote:
more segregation not integration breeds resentment and mistrust.we have a problem with radicalisation as we are now seeing.it's time Religion was taken out of school so there is more chance of integration.i worked in an office for a major British company in Blackburn and a lot of the young Asians ,who were British born and educated,spoke in an Asian language at work.this was purely to exclude their English speaking colleagues.when I raised this with a manager as it was against company policy,only to be told she was aware but fearful of being seen as racist if she broached this problem.we have now seen how not dealing with this fear of being branded racist when we see wrong being done, Doncaster.we need to be more assertive about lack of integration.
I agree , I have had the same experience at work with them changing language . I just think they are cowards or two faced Barstewards . if they cant speak in English , when they clearly can .
Unfair comment.

Us English do exactly the same when we go abroad - in fact many act like they've stepped into a backward society because English ISN'T spoken.

I work with muslims and on occasions I've politely asked why people do it, the truth is theres no one real reason.

Sometimes it can be to say something privately, but more often than not, many bi/tri-lingual muslims slip in and out of languages just because thats how they talk to each other and don't even realise they are doing it.

We have a laugh constantly working out phone conversations where english words are used because either the person doesn't know the equivalent word in their native tongue or in the case of many modern technologies, the words simply don't exist.

.... phone... website... click... followed by an impatient expletive usually says the other half is struggling with the individuals instructions :)

Its difficult to talk about such delicate subjects as faith schools because the ignorance and bigotry as shown in some of these comments usually rear their ugly heads making it an excuse for more muslim-bashing.

We are discussing a Muslim faith school here, yet we are now in a conversation about the use of their own language by people who could not have been affected by the faith schools as they haven't been around all that long.

Sadly that only serves to kill off what is a very needed discussion for the sake of muslim communities to prevent further alienation of our youths.
[quote][p][bold]Another Day[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boynesider[/bold] wrote: more segregation not integration breeds resentment and mistrust.we have a problem with radicalisation as we are now seeing.it's time Religion was taken out of school so there is more chance of integration.i worked in an office for a major British company in Blackburn and a lot of the young Asians ,who were British born and educated,spoke in an Asian language at work.this was purely to exclude their English speaking colleagues.when I raised this with a manager as it was against company policy,only to be told she was aware but fearful of being seen as racist if she broached this problem.we have now seen how not dealing with this fear of being branded racist when we see wrong being done, Doncaster.we need to be more assertive about lack of integration.[/p][/quote]I agree , I have had the same experience at work with them changing language . I just think they are cowards or two faced Barstewards . if they cant speak in English , when they clearly can .[/p][/quote]Unfair comment. Us English do exactly the same when we go abroad - in fact many act like they've stepped into a backward society because English ISN'T spoken. I work with muslims and on occasions I've politely asked why people do it, the truth is theres no one real reason. Sometimes it can be to say something privately, but more often than not, many bi/tri-lingual muslims slip in and out of languages just because thats how they talk to each other and don't even realise they are doing it. We have a laugh constantly working out phone conversations where english words are used because either the person doesn't know the equivalent word in their native tongue or in the case of many modern technologies, the words simply don't exist. .... phone... website... click... followed by an impatient expletive usually says the other half is struggling with the individuals instructions :) Its difficult to talk about such delicate subjects as faith schools because the ignorance and bigotry as shown in some of these comments usually rear their ugly heads making it an excuse for more muslim-bashing. We are discussing a Muslim faith school here, yet we are now in a conversation about the use of their own language by people who could not have been affected by the faith schools as they haven't been around all that long. Sadly that only serves to kill off what is a very needed discussion for the sake of muslim communities to prevent further alienation of our youths. roverstid
  • Score: -3

11:47pm Wed 27 Aug 14

HenningBerg-er says...

roverstid wrote:
Another Day wrote:
boynesider wrote:
more segregation not integration breeds resentment and mistrust.we have a problem with radicalisation as we are now seeing.it's time Religion was taken out of school so there is more chance of integration.i worked in an office for a major British company in Blackburn and a lot of the young Asians ,who were British born and educated,spoke in an Asian language at work.this was purely to exclude their English speaking colleagues.when I raised this with a manager as it was against company policy,only to be told she was aware but fearful of being seen as racist if she broached this problem.we have now seen how not dealing with this fear of being branded racist when we see wrong being done, Doncaster.we need to be more assertive about lack of integration.
I agree , I have had the same experience at work with them changing language . I just think they are cowards or two faced Barstewards . if they cant speak in English , when they clearly can .
Unfair comment.

Us English do exactly the same when we go abroad - in fact many act like they've stepped into a backward society because English ISN'T spoken.

I work with muslims and on occasions I've politely asked why people do it, the truth is theres no one real reason.

Sometimes it can be to say something privately, but more often than not, many bi/tri-lingual muslims slip in and out of languages just because thats how they talk to each other and don't even realise they are doing it.

We have a laugh constantly working out phone conversations where english words are used because either the person doesn't know the equivalent word in their native tongue or in the case of many modern technologies, the words simply don't exist.

.... phone... website... click... followed by an impatient expletive usually says the other half is struggling with the individuals instructions :)

Its difficult to talk about such delicate subjects as faith schools because the ignorance and bigotry as shown in some of these comments usually rear their ugly heads making it an excuse for more muslim-bashing.

We are discussing a Muslim faith school here, yet we are now in a conversation about the use of their own language by people who could not have been affected by the faith schools as they haven't been around all that long.

Sadly that only serves to kill off what is a very needed discussion for the sake of muslim communities to prevent further alienation of our youths.
Totally agree - the debate earlier between you and the other poster was interesting with alternative views being put forward. Unfortunately, as is the case with most of these stories, it becomes a forum for some users to abuse others causing the comments section to be disabled
[quote][p][bold]roverstid[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Another Day[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boynesider[/bold] wrote: more segregation not integration breeds resentment and mistrust.we have a problem with radicalisation as we are now seeing.it's time Religion was taken out of school so there is more chance of integration.i worked in an office for a major British company in Blackburn and a lot of the young Asians ,who were British born and educated,spoke in an Asian language at work.this was purely to exclude their English speaking colleagues.when I raised this with a manager as it was against company policy,only to be told she was aware but fearful of being seen as racist if she broached this problem.we have now seen how not dealing with this fear of being branded racist when we see wrong being done, Doncaster.we need to be more assertive about lack of integration.[/p][/quote]I agree , I have had the same experience at work with them changing language . I just think they are cowards or two faced Barstewards . if they cant speak in English , when they clearly can .[/p][/quote]Unfair comment. Us English do exactly the same when we go abroad - in fact many act like they've stepped into a backward society because English ISN'T spoken. I work with muslims and on occasions I've politely asked why people do it, the truth is theres no one real reason. Sometimes it can be to say something privately, but more often than not, many bi/tri-lingual muslims slip in and out of languages just because thats how they talk to each other and don't even realise they are doing it. We have a laugh constantly working out phone conversations where english words are used because either the person doesn't know the equivalent word in their native tongue or in the case of many modern technologies, the words simply don't exist. .... phone... website... click... followed by an impatient expletive usually says the other half is struggling with the individuals instructions :) Its difficult to talk about such delicate subjects as faith schools because the ignorance and bigotry as shown in some of these comments usually rear their ugly heads making it an excuse for more muslim-bashing. We are discussing a Muslim faith school here, yet we are now in a conversation about the use of their own language by people who could not have been affected by the faith schools as they haven't been around all that long. Sadly that only serves to kill off what is a very needed discussion for the sake of muslim communities to prevent further alienation of our youths.[/p][/quote]Totally agree - the debate earlier between you and the other poster was interesting with alternative views being put forward. Unfortunately, as is the case with most of these stories, it becomes a forum for some users to abuse others causing the comments section to be disabled HenningBerg-er
  • Score: 0

11:59pm Wed 27 Aug 14

HenningBerg-er says...

And as I'm here, as sum1 who has personal experience with family members at the school; the excellent work they do can't be overlooked.

I c the hard work that goes into helping students maintain their Britishness. Fair play to them.
And as I'm here, as sum1 who has personal experience with family members at the school; the excellent work they do can't be overlooked. I c the hard work that goes into helping students maintain their Britishness. Fair play to them. HenningBerg-er
  • Score: -4

10:46pm Thu 28 Aug 14

Perspexhood says...

Tuaheedul called in Ofsted, the report means nothing at all. Check it out with them. As for new school its about market share and making sure all the Wahabis stick together. The Asian community should act to block this for all our sakes.
Tuaheedul called in Ofsted, the report means nothing at all. Check it out with them. As for new school its about market share and making sure all the Wahabis stick together. The Asian community should act to block this for all our sakes. Perspexhood
  • Score: 3

1:09pm Tue 9 Sep 14

WellWisher77 says...

The entire investigation by OFSTED on Tauheedul was a joke. Tauheedul was tipped off by an insider working at the DfE and given ample time to cover their tracks. This kind of separatism is dangerous as it is hampering the chances of our Muslim youth. Tauheedul use lip-service to appear modern and integrated but backed by a Wahhabi pot of money (as well as dipping into public taxes) they actually enforce segregation. If the people of Lancashire had any sense they would boycott this organisation. What they're essentially doing is taking the brightest children from the locality and leaving other schools with a dearth in bright pupils. Those schools then fail and lo and behold Tauheedul swoop in and take over. Investigate them thoroughly and the cracks will appear. This has been their philosophy across the country.

I say this as someone who knows them very, very well.
The entire investigation by OFSTED on Tauheedul was a joke. Tauheedul was tipped off by an insider working at the DfE and given ample time to cover their tracks. This kind of separatism is dangerous as it is hampering the chances of our Muslim youth. Tauheedul use lip-service to appear modern and integrated but backed by a Wahhabi pot of money (as well as dipping into public taxes) they actually enforce segregation. If the people of Lancashire had any sense they would boycott this organisation. What they're essentially doing is taking the brightest children from the locality and leaving other schools with a dearth in bright pupils. Those schools then fail and lo and behold Tauheedul swoop in and take over. Investigate them thoroughly and the cracks will appear. This has been their philosophy across the country. I say this as someone who knows them very, very well. WellWisher77
  • Score: 0
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree