Blackburn Mall spending up - but fewer visiting

Blackburn Mall spending up - but fewer visiting

Blackburn Mall spending up - but fewer visiting

First published in News
Last updated
This Is Lancashire: Photograph of the Author by

VISITOR numbers fell at Blackburn’s main town centre shopping hub last year - but bosses believe spending has gone up.

Capital and Regional, which operates The Mall, reported a drop of 1.2 per cent in visitor numbers for the first six months of 2014.

MORE TOP STORIES:

But the company’s half-year figures showed a rise in the average spend per head - and revealed ambitious new plans for a gym on the site.

Capital and Regional reported a total footfall rise of 1.7 per cent across its eight UK shopping centres, but admitted that trend did not apply to Blackburn.

The Mall attracted 6,078,404 visitors between January and June 2014 - an average of around 33,500 per day - compared with 6,113,157 shoppers in the same period in 2013.

Loraine Jones, the venue’s general manager, said: “The Mall Blackburn has attracted lots of new retail names recently.

"B&M has recently opened a new store, Warren James has agreed to upsize its unit and perfume and fragrance specialist Equivalenza will be opening one of its first stores in the UK this autumn.

“Footfall for the centre dropped by 1.2 per cent between January to June compared to last year, however we believe that spend per head has risen which is a positive sign that the retail market in Blackburn is improving.

“We are looking forward to announcing new exciting lettings for the centre in the near future.”

The Mall Blackburn, which has 129 lettable units across 575,000 square feet of space, underwent a £66million facelift in 2010.

In Capital and Regional’s half-year results presentation, the firm welcomed this month’s and mark ruling by the UK Supreme Court to prevent Peel Group’s proposals for an out-of-town retail park in Whitebirk. It also outlined tentative plans for an ‘amalgamation of units to create a gym’ within two to five years as part of a £36m initiative.

Ms Jones added: “There are longer-term plans to create space for a gym however plans are at a very early stage. We will provide more detail when we are able.”

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:26pm Thu 21 Aug 14

GracesDad says...

Footfall for the centre dropped by 1.2 per cent between January to June compared to last year, however we believe that spend per head has risen which is a positive sign that the retail market in Blackburn is improving.

Pure marketing bs. I believe that the average spend per head has increased simply due to the economic recovery that the UK has experienced over the last 18 months. I would wager that other (better designed) malls have seen an increase in both footfall and average spend.
Footfall for the centre dropped by 1.2 per cent between January to June compared to last year, however we believe that spend per head has risen which is a positive sign that the retail market in Blackburn is improving. Pure marketing bs. I believe that the average spend per head has increased simply due to the economic recovery that the UK has experienced over the last 18 months. I would wager that other (better designed) malls have seen an increase in both footfall and average spend. GracesDad
  • Score: 16

12:31pm Thu 21 Aug 14

HelmshoreMan2010 says...

It doesn't dispute the fact that others could have improved too or done even better.

It simply states facts based on it's own shopping centre without making a comparison. to anybody or even speculating on why the improvement has taken place.

Would you prefer them to say "Hey, we did rubbish, any nice new shop you wanted has now been put off"
It doesn't dispute the fact that others could have improved too or done even better. It simply states facts based on it's own shopping centre without making a comparison. to anybody or even speculating on why the improvement has taken place. Would you prefer them to say "Hey, we did rubbish, any nice new shop you wanted has now been put off" HelmshoreMan2010
  • Score: -11

12:34pm Thu 21 Aug 14

A Darener says...

Footfall down! Couldn't be due to bus station chaos, parking problems? Could it?
Footfall down! Couldn't be due to bus station chaos, parking problems? Could it? A Darener
  • Score: 34

12:43pm Thu 21 Aug 14

hasslem hasslem says...

GracesDad wrote:
Footfall for the centre dropped by 1.2 per cent between January to June compared to last year, however we believe that spend per head has risen which is a positive sign that the retail market in Blackburn is improving.

Pure marketing bs. I believe that the average spend per head has increased simply due to the economic recovery that the UK has experienced over the last 18 months. I would wager that other (better designed) malls have seen an increase in both footfall and average spend.
what utter nonsense - even if it is due to emerging from the recession - the market is still up.....nowt to do with marketing bs
[quote][p][bold]GracesDad[/bold] wrote: Footfall for the centre dropped by 1.2 per cent between January to June compared to last year, however we believe that spend per head has risen which is a positive sign that the retail market in Blackburn is improving. Pure marketing bs. I believe that the average spend per head has increased simply due to the economic recovery that the UK has experienced over the last 18 months. I would wager that other (better designed) malls have seen an increase in both footfall and average spend.[/p][/quote]what utter nonsense - even if it is due to emerging from the recession - the market is still up.....nowt to do with marketing bs hasslem hasslem
  • Score: -14

12:51pm Thu 21 Aug 14

rogersrevenge says...

plan for a gym?? well make good use of the old empty nightclub what once once peppermint place/utopia/heaven & hell. least there the current units wont have to be disturbed or any disruptions. nice to see that back in use.
plan for a gym?? well make good use of the old empty nightclub what once once peppermint place/utopia/heaven & hell. least there the current units wont have to be disturbed or any disruptions. nice to see that back in use. rogersrevenge
  • Score: 13

12:54pm Thu 21 Aug 14

HelmshoreMan2010 says...

hasslem hasslem wrote:
GracesDad wrote:
Footfall for the centre dropped by 1.2 per cent between January to June compared to last year, however we believe that spend per head has risen which is a positive sign that the retail market in Blackburn is improving.

Pure marketing bs. I believe that the average spend per head has increased simply due to the economic recovery that the UK has experienced over the last 18 months. I would wager that other (better designed) malls have seen an increase in both footfall and average spend.
what utter nonsense - even if it is due to emerging from the recession - the market is still up.....nowt to do with marketing bs
Don't worry most people on here just like to sit and say negative things about Blackburn regardless of if it makes sense or not.

As mentioned above the company who owns the mall hasn't attempted to compare this to other shopping centres or even speculate on why the figures are up so I'm not sure why people are having a go at them for listing facts.

It's about as clever as having a go at somebody for saying 1+1=2, the just listed numbers and facts.
[quote][p][bold]hasslem hasslem[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GracesDad[/bold] wrote: Footfall for the centre dropped by 1.2 per cent between January to June compared to last year, however we believe that spend per head has risen which is a positive sign that the retail market in Blackburn is improving. Pure marketing bs. I believe that the average spend per head has increased simply due to the economic recovery that the UK has experienced over the last 18 months. I would wager that other (better designed) malls have seen an increase in both footfall and average spend.[/p][/quote]what utter nonsense - even if it is due to emerging from the recession - the market is still up.....nowt to do with marketing bs[/p][/quote]Don't worry most people on here just like to sit and say negative things about Blackburn regardless of if it makes sense or not. As mentioned above the company who owns the mall hasn't attempted to compare this to other shopping centres or even speculate on why the figures are up so I'm not sure why people are having a go at them for listing facts. It's about as clever as having a go at somebody for saying 1+1=2, the just listed numbers and facts. HelmshoreMan2010
  • Score: 15

1:10pm Thu 21 Aug 14

GracesDad says...

hasslem hasslem wrote:
GracesDad wrote:
Footfall for the centre dropped by 1.2 per cent between January to June compared to last year, however we believe that spend per head has risen which is a positive sign that the retail market in Blackburn is improving.

Pure marketing bs. I believe that the average spend per head has increased simply due to the economic recovery that the UK has experienced over the last 18 months. I would wager that other (better designed) malls have seen an increase in both footfall and average spend.
what utter nonsense - even if it is due to emerging from the recession - the market is still up.....nowt to do with marketing bs
The quote shows the general manager stating that the retail market in Blackburn is improving. This is simply not true as footfall is down by 1.5% of 6miliion. She then tries to justify her comment by stating that spend per head is up. Spend per head is up for many different reasons but it is certainly not due to improvements at Blackburn Mall.

The retail market in Blackburn has clearly dropped as backed up by footfall.
[quote][p][bold]hasslem hasslem[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GracesDad[/bold] wrote: Footfall for the centre dropped by 1.2 per cent between January to June compared to last year, however we believe that spend per head has risen which is a positive sign that the retail market in Blackburn is improving. Pure marketing bs. I believe that the average spend per head has increased simply due to the economic recovery that the UK has experienced over the last 18 months. I would wager that other (better designed) malls have seen an increase in both footfall and average spend.[/p][/quote]what utter nonsense - even if it is due to emerging from the recession - the market is still up.....nowt to do with marketing bs[/p][/quote]The quote shows the general manager stating that the retail market in Blackburn is improving. This is simply not true as footfall is down by 1.5% of 6miliion. She then tries to justify her comment by stating that spend per head is up. Spend per head is up for many different reasons but it is certainly not due to improvements at Blackburn Mall. The retail market in Blackburn has clearly dropped as backed up by footfall. GracesDad
  • Score: 15

3:11pm Thu 21 Aug 14

burner says...

A Darener wrote:
Footfall down! Couldn't be due to bus station chaos, parking problems? Could it?
Most certainly!
[quote][p][bold]A Darener[/bold] wrote: Footfall down! Couldn't be due to bus station chaos, parking problems? Could it?[/p][/quote]Most certainly! burner
  • Score: 14

5:00pm Thu 21 Aug 14

phil kernot says...

We'll get some decent shops primary and pound shops ,, not as if you need to spend to much in there not one good electrical shop (if anyone says Argos ,they deserve punch in the face ,, Argos is the Chinese word for crap). ( it's a joke before you ring the police) ..
We'll get some decent shops primary and pound shops ,, not as if you need to spend to much in there not one good electrical shop (if anyone says Argos ,they deserve punch in the face ,, Argos is the Chinese word for crap). ( it's a joke before you ring the police) .. phil kernot
  • Score: 11

5:23pm Thu 21 Aug 14

EYESINTHESKY says...

rogersrevenge wrote:
plan for a gym?? well make good use of the old empty nightclub what once once peppermint place/utopia/heaven & hell. least there the current units wont have to be disturbed or any disruptions. nice to see that back in use.
Thought they demolished that to build the new Mall extension?

Maybe when people living in Blackburn stopped being negative themselves ... Others wouldn't be, either. Everyone I speak to including some from Blackburn go elsewhere to shop. Its a miserable town that no matter what roads etc are done ... I mean DOES Blackburn council want a town to be proud of or not? Get rid of the drunks etc or the usual dross hanging around the town centre with a 'wanna be in my gang' mentality people might start coming back to shop.

Cos everything planned or otherwise seems to be counterproductive. Its a mess. Why else do people go shopping in other towns? If it's not parking issues it's roadworks. Sort it out. Other towns at least have some pride.

I like the Mall but if only the rest of the shopping centre were regenerated the same. If you don't agree with my comment I also couldn't care less as some think freedom of speech is one way and only consensus rules.
[quote][p][bold]rogersrevenge[/bold] wrote: plan for a gym?? well make good use of the old empty nightclub what once once peppermint place/utopia/heaven & hell. least there the current units wont have to be disturbed or any disruptions. nice to see that back in use.[/p][/quote]Thought they demolished that to build the new Mall extension? Maybe when people living in Blackburn stopped being negative themselves ... Others wouldn't be, either. Everyone I speak to including some from Blackburn go elsewhere to shop. Its a miserable town that no matter what roads etc are done ... I mean DOES Blackburn council want a town to be proud of or not? Get rid of the drunks etc or the usual dross hanging around the town centre with a 'wanna be in my gang' mentality people might start coming back to shop. Cos everything planned or otherwise seems to be counterproductive. Its a mess. Why else do people go shopping in other towns? If it's not parking issues it's roadworks. Sort it out. Other towns at least have some pride. I like the Mall but if only the rest of the shopping centre were regenerated the same. If you don't agree with my comment I also couldn't care less as some think freedom of speech is one way and only consensus rules. EYESINTHESKY
  • Score: 12

7:43pm Thu 21 Aug 14

DoggydogNo1 says...

Who counts the people coming in?
Who counts the people coming in? DoggydogNo1
  • Score: 16

9:48pm Thu 21 Aug 14

HelmshoreMan2010 says...

DoggydogNo1 wrote:
Who counts the people coming in?
Electronic sensors on the doors count people in and out of most big shops and shopping centres by breaking a beam of light or laser.

I'm not sure if you was making a joke or asking a genuine question but there's the answer.
[quote][p][bold]DoggydogNo1[/bold] wrote: Who counts the people coming in?[/p][/quote]Electronic sensors on the doors count people in and out of most big shops and shopping centres by breaking a beam of light or laser. I'm not sure if you was making a joke or asking a genuine question but there's the answer. HelmshoreMan2010
  • Score: 7

5:26am Fri 22 Aug 14

mark anthony says...

Free parking would help?
Free parking would help? mark anthony
  • Score: 12

12:04am Sat 23 Aug 14

M.DANNY says...

mark anthony wrote:
Free parking would help?
Blackburn Mall parking charges are cheaper than Preston and Bolton but maybe like you say off peak free parking would help boost trade.
After 3pm free parking on Monday to Saturday could attract more shoppers back to Blackburn.
The new bus station and the regeneration of Cathedral quarter once completed could be a catalyst for bringing more people to Blackburn town centre.
In the 1970s and 1980s the town centre was thriving but the era was before the invention of mobile phones and internet and online shopping.Shopping habits are changing and more folks are shopping online and many high street stores are empty all across UK. Many town centre shops in UK will be converted to residential property.
[quote][p][bold]mark anthony[/bold] wrote: Free parking would help?[/p][/quote]Blackburn Mall parking charges are cheaper than Preston and Bolton but maybe like you say off peak free parking would help boost trade. After 3pm free parking on Monday to Saturday could attract more shoppers back to Blackburn. The new bus station and the regeneration of Cathedral quarter once completed could be a catalyst for bringing more people to Blackburn town centre. In the 1970s and 1980s the town centre was thriving but the era was before the invention of mobile phones and internet and online shopping.Shopping habits are changing and more folks are shopping online and many high street stores are empty all across UK. Many town centre shops in UK will be converted to residential property. M.DANNY
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree