doc

TWO pensioners escaped after a fire started in the kitchen of a house in Little Hulton.

Firefighters were called to the house in Peelwood Avenue at 1.22am this morning after a fire started in the kitchen.

The fire is believed to have started because of a faulty freezer.

Firefighters put out the flames however a 72 year-old woman and 75 year-old man both suffered smoke inhalation.

The man, aged 75 and the woman, aged 72, were able to escape from the house after being awoken by a smoke alarm.

Firefighters from Farnworth arrived on the scene and entered the kitchen to tackle the fully formed fire.

They used hose reels and were able to contain the blaze to the kitchen area, which suffered sever damage.

Other areas of the house sustained smoke damage.

The two people were taken to hospital by paramedics after showing signs of smoke inhalation.

Watch manager Tony McKenna said: "This just goes to show the importance of having a working smoke alarm in your house.

"If anyone would like to have a free smoke alarm fitting they can call 0800555815."