A MAN was taken to hospital after a fire broke out in the early hours of this morning.

The fire started in a bedroom of a house in Bivel Street, at around 1.50am.

A young man was in the house at the time, and he was taken to hospital suffering from burns and smoke inhalation.

Fire fighters used specialist cameras and breathing apparatus to help extinguish the blaze.

A joint investigation is underway between the police and the fire service to establish the cause of the fire.

Watch Manager Gary Hargreaves said: “There was no working smoke alarm in the property, which potentially delayed the discovery of the fire.”