Nelson stroke victim died from toxic effects of drugs overdose

Nelson stroke victim died from toxic effects of drugs overdose

Nelson stroke victim died from toxic effects of drugs overdose

First published in News This Is Lancashire: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

A WOMAN suffering health problems because of a stroke died after accidentally taking an overdose of drugs, an inquest was told.

Faiza Arif, 37, died in March at her home in Victoria Gardens, Nelson.

A post-mortem examination found that she had died from the combined toxic effects of amitriptyline, zopiclone, diphen- hydramine and morphine.

In a statement to the inquest, younger sister Aisha Arif said: “Her health was good in her younger years.

“When she suffered a spinal stroke in around 2010/11 she was unable to move or feel her legs.

“It wasn’t really diagnosed properly at first, she would often complain about severe upper limb pain.

“She went through spells of feeling depressed and low about her medical problems.”

Faiza attended Towneley High School and Habergham Sixth Form College, in Burnley.

She went onto study at Sheffield University and Wolverhampton University.

Aisha said: “After she passed away, I found many hospital letters that said she had failed to attend hospital appointments. I don’t think she intended to harm herself.

“She had been erratic taking medications and several of the drugs made her drowsy and uncoordinated.”

Coroner Richard Taylor said that he did not think Faiza had intended to take her own life.

He recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree