A DISUSED red telephone box in Clitheroe has been officially opened after being transformed into a life-saving hub.
The dilapidated box in Market Place was adopted by Clitheroe Town Council last year in order to store a defibrillator which can deliver a shock to or restart a patient’s heart when they are in cardiac arrest.
The idea to use the redundant kiosk was first mooted by then Clitheroe Mayor Coun Allan Knox.
Current Mayor, Coun Valerie Cooper, yesterday officially opened the new hub which cost around £4,000.
Mark Evans, North West Ambulance Service (NWAS) community resuscitation manager and Simon Doyle Community First Responder area coordinator were also present, along with Keith Chamley, the contractor who repaired and repainted the box.
The project was delayed for several months due to adverse winter weather. The council had hoped to unveil the box in January.
The box has been sealed off from the public since it was bought by the council from BT for £1.
Town centre businesses will now undergo training to use the defibrillator by the NWAS.
Coun Cooper, said: “Everyone on the town council is very proud that we have managed to get his project to the end.
“It’s something that we all hope is never needed to be used, like insurance really, but it will help to save lives if ever needed to.
“I would like to see a project like this in other towns and villages because they can have such an important impact.
“When Coun Knox first put the idea to the council we were all for it and it’s really exciting to see it finished and ready for whoever needs it.”
Defibrillators have recently been installed in Whalley, Grindleton, Read and other villages in the area.