A HAULAGE firm owner who was crushed to death by a reversing truck has been described as “unique” and a “one-off” by his family.

Danny Adams died aged 63 after he suffered horrific injuries when a lorry crushed him to death in a yard in Lumns Lane, Swinton, where he kept his lorries on May 9.

Surgeons operated on Mr Adams, who owned D Adams Haulage Contractors, for nine hours but could not save him.

The Health and Safety Executive has launched an investigation into his death.

Dozens of people attended his funeral at St Columbus RC Church in Tonge Moor while countless HGV drivers from across Europe have called to express their condolences.

Born and bred in Tonge Moor but most recently living in Farnworth, Mr Adams leaves behind his partner Angela Brough and sons Danny, aged 40, and 14-year-old Alfie.

Mrs Brough, aged 55, said: “He was just an absolutely huge personality.

“He worked hard and played hard, He was well known around town and loved his family to bits. He was unique, a one-off.

“Danny was healthy, 63 but you would never believe it looking at him, so it came as a huge shock.”

Mrs Brough was overwhelmed by the support received at the funeral.

She added: “I was dreading it, I did not think I was going to be able to get through it but it was fantastic.”

Mr Adams first worked on trucks with his own father Alf when he was aged just 14 and travelled all over Europe during his career.

His son Danny said: “A lot of people all over the country have been ringing me. Everyone knew my dad and the haulage industry tends to stick together.

“He was a caring bloke and a man’s man.”

Peter Mann, who was one of Mr Adams’ drivers, said: “He was a great man, a terrific character.

“He worked incredibly hard. Even on Saturdays and Sundays he was down his yard. It was his life.”

Mr Adams’ coffin was placed on the back of one of his trucks as his funeral procession made its way through Bolton, past his favoured pub, the Balmoral, on May 28.

A Health and Safety Executive spokesman said: “HSE is investigating this incident and the matter is ongoing.”

An inquest into Mr Adams’ death has been opened and adjourned at Bolton Coroner’s Court.