'Danger' pool warning after 10-year-old boy falls into overgrown pond

Audrey Mayoh and son Zain

Audrey Mayoh and son Zain

First published in News This Is Lancashire: Photograph of the Author by , reporter

A 10-YEAR-OLD boy who cannot swim fell into a moss covered pond at a Bolton beauty spot — because he did not realise there was water underneath the overgrown foliage.

Zain Mayoh’s mother Audrey had to drag her son out of the pond in the recently refurbished rock garden at Moss Bank Park Now Mrs Mayoh wants Bolton Council to take action — to avoid another child making the same mistake.

She said: “We were walking in the park and had two babies with us as well as Zain so were looking after them when I suddenly heard a really loud splash, I instantly ran round and dragged him out of the pond — the water had gone right up to his shoulders.

“I kept thinking ‘he can’t swim’ and worrying about what might have happened if he had been on his own — also you don’t know what is in that water, it could have been bad for him.”

She said the experience has badly affected her son who is a pupil at Bishop Bridgeman CE Primary School, Bolton.

Mrs Mayoh, of Flitcroft Court, Great Lever, added: “I am having to lie down with him at night as he goes to sleep and he has been having some nightmares and struggling to sleep. I think it’s dangerous because there are no railings around it and no proper signs.”

In a response, Bolton Council said that the rock garden, which was originally built in the 1930s, has a number of pools within it and that although they have some floating weed on them “they are not fully covered and have an exposed perimeter, which is visible”. However, the council said warning signs at the park have been vandalised and are scheduled for replacement.

A spokesman added: “The signage reminds visitors to be careful on slippery surfaces and that children should be supervised at all times, as there are a number of deep water pools on the rockery.

“We will review our procedures to see whether any further measures are required.”

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:24pm Sat 31 May 14

MarkAllRead says...

Audrey Mayoh is the villain here. What sort of mother lets their son get to 10 years old without them learning to swim? Typical of the attitude of everything being someone else's fault. Forget teaching your kid some life skills, lets expect the council to put up warning signs and fences around every possible hazard.
Audrey Mayoh is the villain here. What sort of mother lets their son get to 10 years old without them learning to swim? Typical of the attitude of everything being someone else's fault. Forget teaching your kid some life skills, lets expect the council to put up warning signs and fences around every possible hazard. MarkAllRead
  • Score: 74

12:32pm Sat 31 May 14

questionairre says...

Mrs Mayoh said:
“I kept thinking ‘he can’t swim’
Well teach little zain to swim then.

“I am having to lie down with him at night as he goes to sleep and he has been having some nightmares and struggling to sleep.
Really? Was there a previous problem with the child, it seems a little over the top to be lying next to a 10 year old to get him off to sleep.

I think it’s dangerous because there are no railings around it and no proper signs.”
Why should there be railings and why did you not supervise him?


Stop blaming others for your inadequacies and get a grip woman.
Mrs Mayoh said: “I kept thinking ‘he can’t swim’ Well teach little zain to swim then. “I am having to lie down with him at night as he goes to sleep and he has been having some nightmares and struggling to sleep. Really? Was there a previous problem with the child, it seems a little over the top to be lying next to a 10 year old to get him off to sleep. I think it’s dangerous because there are no railings around it and no proper signs.” Why should there be railings and why did you not supervise him? Stop blaming others for your inadequacies and get a grip woman. questionairre
  • Score: 67

1:45pm Sat 31 May 14

mr.mark.c says...

Wow, at 10yr old I was jumping off the bridge into the Jumbles reservoir or sliding down the waterfalls on Bradshaw Brook along with dozens of other kids while our parents was blissfully unaware.
Nightmares, hmmm, is this leading to a claim ?
Wow, at 10yr old I was jumping off the bridge into the Jumbles reservoir or sliding down the waterfalls on Bradshaw Brook along with dozens of other kids while our parents was blissfully unaware. Nightmares, hmmm, is this leading to a claim ? mr.mark.c
  • Score: 55

2:08pm Sat 31 May 14

julieanddave says...

i loved being 10 years old swimming in the river
i loved being 10 years old swimming in the river julieanddave
  • Score: 28

5:08pm Sat 31 May 14

moss bank park-er says...

Only one person to blame here and that's this child parent. When you walk into this garden the first thing you see is the pond. So what part of leaving your child unsupervised near the pond is bolton councils fault?
Only one person to blame here and that's this child parent. When you walk into this garden the first thing you see is the pond. So what part of leaving your child unsupervised near the pond is bolton councils fault? moss bank park-er
  • Score: 32

5:20pm Sat 31 May 14

The Running Man says...

Can't agree more, take some responsibility!
Can't agree more, take some responsibility! The Running Man
  • Score: 27

5:29pm Sat 31 May 14

Fizz18 says...

how ridiculous is this the woman cannot blame the council should blame herself....... a parent should protect all their children and not just babies !!!!
how ridiculous is this the woman cannot blame the council should blame herself....... a parent should protect all their children and not just babies !!!! Fizz18
  • Score: 24

7:23pm Sat 31 May 14

sandy86 says...

U should put ur self in this women's shoes. What if it was a four
Year old. Accidents do happen. I doubt it heading towards a
Claim sheis makin others aware.
U should put ur self in this women's shoes. What if it was a four Year old. Accidents do happen. I doubt it heading towards a Claim sheis makin others aware. sandy86
  • Score: -33

7:48pm Sat 31 May 14

underwater says...

Sounds to me as though these nightmares are leading up to a claim, the mother should have more sense and get the boy to the swimming baths . I have just walked around Doffcocker lodge and two girls about 11/12 years old are up to the waist in the water while what looked like the mother sat in the sunshine laughing at them . Hope they enjoy the fun and that they can swim.
Sounds to me as though these nightmares are leading up to a claim, the mother should have more sense and get the boy to the swimming baths . I have just walked around Doffcocker lodge and two girls about 11/12 years old are up to the waist in the water while what looked like the mother sat in the sunshine laughing at them . Hope they enjoy the fun and that they can swim. underwater
  • Score: 19

7:49pm Sat 31 May 14

mr.mark.c says...

sandy86 wrote:
U should put ur self in this women's shoes. What if it was a four
Year old. Accidents do happen. I doubt it heading towards a
Claim sheis makin others aware.
We are aware, only fools are not and allow children that can not swim near water.
It's a fact that children are fascinated by water but at 10yr old they should also have some common sense, It will be a very sad day when all water in public areas is fenced off because some parents are neglectful of their responsibilities.
I used to have a very nice garden pond with Koi carp and Siberian Sturgeon, I gave the fish away and filled it in when a young couple with a toddler moved in next door, this was by choice as we had open plan rear gardens and he had the right to play without being watched like a hawk.
Public gardens are another matter, parents have a choice to take them or not to take them.
BTW, he was 10 not 4, so your statement is irrelevant .
[quote][p][bold]sandy86[/bold] wrote: U should put ur self in this women's shoes. What if it was a four Year old. Accidents do happen. I doubt it heading towards a Claim sheis makin others aware.[/p][/quote]We are aware, only fools are not and allow children that can not swim near water. It's a fact that children are fascinated by water but at 10yr old they should also have some common sense, It will be a very sad day when all water in public areas is fenced off because some parents are neglectful of their responsibilities. I used to have a very nice garden pond with Koi carp and Siberian Sturgeon, I gave the fish away and filled it in when a young couple with a toddler moved in next door, this was by choice as we had open plan rear gardens and he had the right to play without being watched like a hawk. Public gardens are another matter, parents have a choice to take them or not to take them. BTW, he was 10 not 4, so your statement is irrelevant . mr.mark.c
  • Score: 19

7:54pm Sat 31 May 14

dougie kay says...

was in the rock gardens with my grandkids over bank holiday, the water in the larger pond would only reach his shoulder if he was standing on his head. Has for the r pond on the higher level it is deep enough to drown in.but,you cannot mistake for any els but apond
was in the rock gardens with my grandkids over bank holiday, the water in the larger pond would only reach his shoulder if he was standing on his head. Has for the r pond on the higher level it is deep enough to drown in.but,you cannot mistake for any els but apond dougie kay
  • Score: 20

10:23pm Sat 31 May 14

sandy86 says...

mr.mark.c wrote:
sandy86 wrote:
U should put ur self in this women's shoes. What if it was a four
Year old. Accidents do happen. I doubt it heading towards a
Claim sheis makin others aware.
We are aware, only fools are not and allow children that can not swim near water.
It's a fact that children are fascinated by water but at 10yr old they should also have some common sense, It will be a very sad day when all water in public areas is fenced off because some parents are neglectful of their responsibilities.
I used to have a very nice garden pond with Koi carp and Siberian Sturgeon, I gave the fish away and filled it in when a young couple with a toddler moved in next door, this was by choice as we had open plan rear gardens and he had the right to play without being watched like a hawk.
Public gardens are another matter, parents have a choice to take them or not to take them.
BTW, he was 10 not 4, so your statement is irrelevant .
Ok so ur a nice dude for filling in your pond. Im not sayin they should put fences up and yes his mother should of supervised him. Its a mothers instinct to panick knowing her son cant swim and as fell in somethin he thought was ground not water. Maybe he's scared of swimming I dont kno. Its not even about that. And BTW I kno he is 10 and not 4. But wat chance would a 4 year old have. Parents dont take urkids their simple as.
[quote][p][bold]mr.mark.c[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sandy86[/bold] wrote: U should put ur self in this women's shoes. What if it was a four Year old. Accidents do happen. I doubt it heading towards a Claim sheis makin others aware.[/p][/quote]We are aware, only fools are not and allow children that can not swim near water. It's a fact that children are fascinated by water but at 10yr old they should also have some common sense, It will be a very sad day when all water in public areas is fenced off because some parents are neglectful of their responsibilities. I used to have a very nice garden pond with Koi carp and Siberian Sturgeon, I gave the fish away and filled it in when a young couple with a toddler moved in next door, this was by choice as we had open plan rear gardens and he had the right to play without being watched like a hawk. Public gardens are another matter, parents have a choice to take them or not to take them. BTW, he was 10 not 4, so your statement is irrelevant .[/p][/quote]Ok so ur a nice dude for filling in your pond. Im not sayin they should put fences up and yes his mother should of supervised him. Its a mothers instinct to panick knowing her son cant swim and as fell in somethin he thought was ground not water. Maybe he's scared of swimming I dont kno. Its not even about that. And BTW I kno he is 10 and not 4. But wat chance would a 4 year old have. Parents dont take urkids their simple as. sandy86
  • Score: -18

11:35pm Sat 31 May 14

mr.mark.c says...

Simple, if a 4yr old drowned then the person in charge of that child should be jailed.
This 10yr old did not walk on what he thought was solid ground (go look at the place) this is nothing but a drama queen after a payout.
Simple, if a 4yr old drowned then the person in charge of that child should be jailed. This 10yr old did not walk on what he thought was solid ground (go look at the place) this is nothing but a drama queen after a payout. mr.mark.c
  • Score: 19

11:52pm Sat 31 May 14

questionairre says...

sandy86

Remember the 70,s Government Information advertisements.

Well here is one for Sandy.

Learn to Spell young man, learn to spell.
sandy86 Remember the 70,s Government Information advertisements. Well here is one for Sandy. Learn to Spell young man, learn to spell. questionairre
  • Score: 10

1:13pm Sun 1 Jun 14

JustBecause says...

All children should be taught to swim, if not don't take them near water.

Stop whining and do what your suppose to as a parent, if you cannot supervise 3 children don't go out on your own.

It's because of this type of sensiasinalisum that kids are not allowed to run in the school playground, or throw snowballs.

And as for the BN again, they managed to get a photographer out for this story, which is a miracle in itself, but failed to get a shot of where he went in..... Wonder why ?
All children should be taught to swim, if not don't take them near water. Stop whining and do what your suppose to as a parent, if you cannot supervise 3 children don't go out on your own. It's because of this type of sensiasinalisum that kids are not allowed to run in the school playground, or throw snowballs. And as for the BN again, they managed to get a photographer out for this story, which is a miracle in itself, but failed to get a shot of where he went in..... Wonder why ? JustBecause
  • Score: 4

4:03pm Sun 1 Jun 14

hal pel says...

Do kids not go swimming while at primary school? I did.
Do kids not go swimming while at primary school? I did. hal pel
  • Score: 4

4:50pm Sun 1 Jun 14

mr.mark.c says...

questionairre wrote:
sandy86

Remember the 70,s Government Information advertisements.

Well here is one for Sandy.

Learn to Spell young man, learn to spell.
Charlie says Learn to swim :)
[quote][p][bold]questionairre[/bold] wrote: sandy86 Remember the 70,s Government Information advertisements. Well here is one for Sandy. Learn to Spell young man, learn to spell.[/p][/quote]Charlie says Learn to swim :) mr.mark.c
  • Score: 5

5:02pm Sun 1 Jun 14

Beyond News Forum says...

questionairre wrote:
Mrs Mayoh said:
“I kept thinking ‘he can’t swim’
Well teach little zain to swim then.

“I am having to lie down with him at night as he goes to sleep and he has been having some nightmares and struggling to sleep.
Really? Was there a previous problem with the child, it seems a little over the top to be lying next to a 10 year old to get him off to sleep.

I think it’s dangerous because there are no railings around it and no proper signs.”
Why should there be railings and why did you not supervise him?


Stop blaming others for your inadequacies and get a grip woman.
It sounds like she is trying to add quantum to a claim.

I agree, what mother does not introduce her child to swimming at an early age?

Isn't that a little neglectful of the parent to not introduce the child to water?

Nobody should be using "my child is afraid of water" - just in case she is going to try that old hat logic on to.
[quote][p][bold]questionairre[/bold] wrote: Mrs Mayoh said: “I kept thinking ‘he can’t swim’ Well teach little zain to swim then. “I am having to lie down with him at night as he goes to sleep and he has been having some nightmares and struggling to sleep. Really? Was there a previous problem with the child, it seems a little over the top to be lying next to a 10 year old to get him off to sleep. I think it’s dangerous because there are no railings around it and no proper signs.” Why should there be railings and why did you not supervise him? Stop blaming others for your inadequacies and get a grip woman.[/p][/quote]It sounds like she is trying to add quantum to a claim. I agree, what mother does not introduce her child to swimming at an early age? Isn't that a little neglectful of the parent to not introduce the child to water? Nobody should be using "my child is afraid of water" - just in case she is going to try that old hat logic on to. Beyond News Forum
  • Score: 6

6:07pm Sun 1 Jun 14

coolcat says...

sandy86 wrote:
mr.mark.c wrote:
sandy86 wrote:
U should put ur self in this women's shoes. What if it was a four
Year old. Accidents do happen. I doubt it heading towards a
Claim sheis makin others aware.
We are aware, only fools are not and allow children that can not swim near water.
It's a fact that children are fascinated by water but at 10yr old they should also have some common sense, It will be a very sad day when all water in public areas is fenced off because some parents are neglectful of their responsibilities.
I used to have a very nice garden pond with Koi carp and Siberian Sturgeon, I gave the fish away and filled it in when a young couple with a toddler moved in next door, this was by choice as we had open plan rear gardens and he had the right to play without being watched like a hawk.
Public gardens are another matter, parents have a choice to take them or not to take them.
BTW, he was 10 not 4, so your statement is irrelevant .
Ok so ur a nice dude for filling in your pond. Im not sayin they should put fences up and yes his mother should of supervised him. Its a mothers instinct to panick knowing her son cant swim and as fell in somethin he thought was ground not water. Maybe he's scared of swimming I dont kno. Its not even about that. And BTW I kno he is 10 and not 4. But wat chance would a 4 year old have. Parents dont take urkids their simple as.
Buy a bloody dictionary for pity's sake!
[quote][p][bold]sandy86[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mr.mark.c[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sandy86[/bold] wrote: U should put ur self in this women's shoes. What if it was a four Year old. Accidents do happen. I doubt it heading towards a Claim sheis makin others aware.[/p][/quote]We are aware, only fools are not and allow children that can not swim near water. It's a fact that children are fascinated by water but at 10yr old they should also have some common sense, It will be a very sad day when all water in public areas is fenced off because some parents are neglectful of their responsibilities. I used to have a very nice garden pond with Koi carp and Siberian Sturgeon, I gave the fish away and filled it in when a young couple with a toddler moved in next door, this was by choice as we had open plan rear gardens and he had the right to play without being watched like a hawk. Public gardens are another matter, parents have a choice to take them or not to take them. BTW, he was 10 not 4, so your statement is irrelevant .[/p][/quote]Ok so ur a nice dude for filling in your pond. Im not sayin they should put fences up and yes his mother should of supervised him. Its a mothers instinct to panick knowing her son cant swim and as fell in somethin he thought was ground not water. Maybe he's scared of swimming I dont kno. Its not even about that. And BTW I kno he is 10 and not 4. But wat chance would a 4 year old have. Parents dont take urkids their simple as.[/p][/quote]Buy a bloody dictionary for pity's sake! coolcat
  • Score: 4

6:16pm Sun 1 Jun 14

p.rhanna says...

"Cash for Splash" claim going in !!!!
"Cash for Splash" claim going in !!!! p.rhanna
  • Score: 9

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree